Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2023 1:43:51 PM EDT
My son is wanting to know if Bluestacks is safe or not. And if not, is there an alternative that is.

He's wanting to play mobile games on his PC that aren't available in Google Play desktop app or Amazon Games.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so if it isn't, please move it to the correct one mods.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Bluestacks is relatively safe. Before Scopely offered a desktop version of their games, I used bluestack for emulation.

I did follow the secure password protocol for BS access and made sure there weren't CC attached to the mobile game.

I've not used it in a year, so I don't know the current tips and tricks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bluestacks is relatively safe. Before Scopely offered a desktop version of their games, I used bluestack for emulation.

I did follow the secure password protocol for BS access and made sure there weren't CC attached to the mobile game.

I've not used it in a year, so I don't know the current tips and tricks.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Confirmed safe here. I'm not a gamer, I use it to run Android flight planning software on my Windows machine. However I've since switched to LDPlayer because it is quite a bit faster for me. In either case the only downside is that both emulators are many versions behind the current version of Android.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
@Cantshootstrate
@aa777888-2

He wanted me to ask one more question before he installs it.

Is there any reason bluestacks would brick your computer or cause any other technical issues.

He read this on Reddit and wanted your opinions on it, if he should download it or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antivirus/comments/t5no5x/comment/ibogviz/
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The idea behind it is safe.  The implementation is relatively safe.  Bluestacks has had some vulnerabilities over the years.  Some of them got CVEs and had public disclosures.  Most of them fixed silently.  https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002545932-Security-Advisory-for-BlueStacks

Google publishes dozens of different emulator images.  They are free.  Some are open source.  The ones with the google proprietary bits (google apps, play store, google services) are not open source.  IMO, the official google emulators are going to be more secure than any third party emulator like bluestacks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Bluestacks is safe. One does have to be careful when using it in terms of what app's get installed in the emulated Android system because Bluestacks will continually bombard you with opportunities to download Android games, as it is primarily meant for gamers. Tell him to only install the Android app's he wants/needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top