Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2023 1:57:36 PM EDT
Whenever I get pulled over, I am respectful and cordial, and I almost always get the same back. There was one time that I wasn't getting the same level of respect, I could see that the LEO was a little more gruff than normal. At the end of the stop he asked me if I was on P&P, and I asked him what that was, and he sighed, and told me "probation and parole". I responded I had never been arrested in my life, and he went back to re-check me, because dispatch had told him I was someone else I guess.

Understand, I have a squeaky clean record, a couple speeding tickets, nothing in the past few years, no other crimes, etc. So here's the question:

Do LEOs have a "rating" system, something like a social credit score, that allows them to see whether the person they are encountering is a scumbag, reformed scumbag, kid offender-but adult-non-threat, or upstanding citizen? Do people get treated differently based on these levels, aka "I'm looking for bad guys, you're clearly not them, I'm gonna give you a warning and go back to hunting" kinda thing? Whenever I've gotten pulled over in the past the cops always seemed kind of dismayed that they didn't get "a bad guy", like they wanted me to be a DUI instead of just a kid that went out of his lane for a minute.

Just curious. Stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Every traffic stop offers the opportunity to escalate to a felony.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides running you for name through ncis and checking you for warrants, there isn’t a tier system per se. as a former cop, I’ll tell you that cops do judge people based on the car they see. From their point of view, your guilty and must prove your innocence. Majority of cops get jaded because they get used to people lying to them so after awhile, everyone they come in contact with can’t be trusted.
The cops you came in contact with were probably disappointed they couldn’t fine you with anything because that’s how they get promoted. More arrests, citations etc. makes it look like their proactive policing. Makes their stats look good when it’s promotion time.
  I will say if they really wanted to charge you with something, they will find something or make it up.
Remember, cops aren’t your friend even if you know them. When they pull you over their looking for any reason to charge you with a crime.
if they ask to search, do not let them. That means they haven’t found anything to charge you with and they wanna fish.  If they ask, never ever let them under any circumstances. If they have probable cause, they won’t ask. They’ll just search it.
Never answer questions. Remember hearing “anything you say will be used against you”? Absolutely 100% true. Questions like, where you coming from? You live here? You know how fast you were going? Should never be answered. Assert your 5th amendment. Even mundane or small talk questions you should not answered, because your being interrogated. Cops really don’t care how your day is. They care about promotions and going home at the end of shift.

Also, cops have no duty to protect citizens from danger unless their in custody. A cop can see you actively being murdered, choose not to act and nothing will happen to them under the law.
Warren V. D.C. , Gonzales V. Castle rock and DeShaney vs. Winnebago are a few cases where the courts have upheld they have no duty to protect unless a citizen is in their custody.
There is nothing in the constitution or any state law that says police must save you.
Be polite, always choose to go to court, do not talk with them, never give them your permission to search your car, home or belongings. And always record your interactions. They will tell you it’s illegal, you can’t record them without permission. This is false. You have a first amendment right to record them and you always should. Cops can lie, I was told this my first few weeks of training.
Be safe.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I always wondered this too, I have an assault on my record and every time they come back from “running my license” they are positioned and act differently. Lol. Bro you pulled ME over, I was minding my own business. You put yourself here. Then the cops I worked with in the ER were all friendly because they wanted backup when someone came in on meth, pcp, or full psychosis. My answer “that’s your ED not mine”. I sound like I dislike cops, I don’t at all. I just never expect they’ll have my back or best interest, which sucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have added that some depts have the ability to see if you’ve been convicted of anything in the past. That will show up or if you have a CCW license.
Worst job I ever had. That was mainly because of my coworkers. I’ll be honest. I’ve violated peoples rights while I was working. I didn’t know that I was doing it (like forcing everyone to ID in a car when they hadn’t committed/suspected any crimes and threaten to arrest for concealing identity) and have since apologized to the people I did violate when I see them.
What did and still does piss me off is when they knowingly violate the peoples rights and do it anyway. I was very unpopular with my colleagues towards the end because I didn’t do pre textual stops or pull someone over because of something petty. Granted, when they needed backup I was always there and wasn’t afraid to go hands on. I never punched or kicked anyone. I figured our job was to restrain. Had a barricaded subject once and requested a supervisor. To which his reply was, call state police. Why? He was trying to hook up with someone. My chief was having an affair with a married women. Her husband came by the station with a bat looking for him. One of my senior officers left his body cam on and  got caught stealing weed from evidence and giving it to his gf father. My field training officer would purposely start fights with people. A lot of them drink and drive,( speed and run lights and stop signs especially on duty).
Stuff you wouldn’t believe. In the end I quit. I didn’t like being around my coworkers and hated seeing peoples rights violated. I’ve been around long enough to realize all depts are like this.
Your right my friend. They are not there to help you or uphold the constitution like they should. Their not your friend and definitely shouldn’t trust them. There are good officers, but even they violate citizens rights and do things they know they shouldn’t.  Be very careful around them. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... I was very unpopular with my colleagues towards the end...  
View Quote

Sounds like you probably weren't very popular with your colleagues the entire time you were there...

If everyone you work with is an a$$hole, maybe you're not seeing the problem.

Calling every cop, in every department, corrupt is a pretty bold statement in a LE specific forum. I can understand why you were unpopular with other cops.

Reading your rants, it sounds like you weren't much of a cop and were maybe told to resign and seek life elsewhere, or you were going to be fired?

So now your jaded and hostile towards LE? Not much time on the job I would guess? Slow, maybe rural or small town department?

I'm also gonna guess you were pretty young when you got on the job, not much life experience, and you were a "gonna change the system from the inside" kind of rookie, and then you found out your snowflake utopian ideas just don't work in the real world?

I have worked with several guys like you in my past 25 years in LE. Fortunately you all don't last very long and leave pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Your right. I wasn’t on the job very long. I switched over from the fire side and was one of several medics on swat. I did that for a tad over 7 years. I had several officers over to my house many times, we hung out and I did consider them to be friends. I was invited to join since they had an opening so I took it.
Ive been in public service long enough to get to know LEOs from all over the country to base my opinions.

I wasn’t forced out or fired. I have a clean record so your judgments are off. My main reason for quitting was because of a family situation. But I was more than happy to leave.

To say that every dept is clean and has no issues is a bit far fetched. I don’t hate cops, I’m not for defunding anyone. I’ve seen the good and the bad side of policing. I just don’t like it when peoples rights are knowingly violated. At the time I worked we had to have a minimum of five traffic citations per shift or be written up. To me, that’s a quota. When I spoke up and asked about it, I got an earful and was told it’s proactive policing.

Again your right, I wasn’t popular because I voiced my opinion on how it was wrong that officers with no RAS or probable cause we’re detaining and searching cars even though the citizens said they don’t consent.
But I’m the bad guy?
I wish the OP a happy and safe career. I pray that all officers go home safe at the end of the day, and those who’ve retired, I wish them a happy healthy retirement.
There is no perfect dept or perfect officer. They all make mistakes. It may have been a bit harsh to say all cops are bad. Maybe not bad at heart, even the best make mistakes and violate rights at least once in their career wether they know it or not.
That is what I should have said. For that I apologize.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top