Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2022 9:11:31 AM EDT
I haven't read any articles or looked on line, but I'm curious as to what the staining on the cellophane means about a cigar. I have 1 humidor with only JFR lunatics in it, and some I've had for a few years now, others are newer. I have noticed the older they are to browner the cellophane gets.

I think I read somewhere this is a normal thing that happens when cigars age and it is a good thing. So my question is why is it a good thing or is it a good thing? I think I have noticed the flavor seems better in the darker cellophaned cigars. Maybe it's just my imagination though as I've never kept a journal on it.

So any thoughts or knowledge shared will be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't store cigars in cellophane. The plastic is meant to retain moisture and keep the outer wrapper from cracking. Once you get them in your humidor take off the plastic.  

All cigars are better with age.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Cellophane is made from a natural material and it breathes. It mainly to protect the cigars from damage. They do not need to be removed for moister to get to them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
An aging cigar is giving off (and absorbing) various gasses.  Hence the discoloration.

Some cigars might not discolor it at all - that could mean they were already well-aged.

I have to admit, I've actually never paid any attention to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting post, in for interesting answers

I'm always debating about taking the wrappers off
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I took a bunch out of the wrappers and lived to regret it. My humidor became full and often times while searching for what I wanted or rearranging cigars, I dropped them, and they were damaged from the fall. After I started leaving them in the cellophane even when they fell, they never had any damage to them. After reading the cellophane didn't hinder or help the moister levels to any degree, I left them on and I'm much happier with the protection. Ever spend a few hours at a time removing cellophane from a few hundred cigars? Not fun, just tedious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I haven't read any articles or looked on line, but I'm curious as to what the staining on the cellophane means about a cigar. I have 1 humidor with only JFR lunatics in it, and some I've had for a few years now, others are newer. I have noticed the older they are to browner the cellophane gets.

I think I read somewhere this is a normal thing that happens when cigars age and it is a good thing. So my question is why is it a good thing or is it a good thing? I think I have noticed the flavor seems better in the darker cellophaned cigars. Maybe it's just my imagination though as I've never kept a journal on it.

So any thoughts or knowledge shared will be appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote
 All it is is the oils in the leaf staining the cellophane(made with wood/organic material) as a general rule the older the aged stick, the more yellow the cello....
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 All it is is the oils in the leaf staining the cellophane(made with wood/organic material) as a general rule the older the aged stick, the more yellow the cello....
View Quote
So the cigar is getting better as the browning agent leaves, making it a mellower smoke, loosing some of it's harshness?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So the cigar is getting better as the browning agent leaves, making it a mellower smoke, loosing some of it's harshness?
View Quote

I don’t think any coloration of the cello has the affects you describe.  Keep in mind that most high quality cigars are made with tobacco that is aged for years, some 10+.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the amount of oils lost is trivial. Think of it as like yellow food coloring (oil). A tiny drop in a glass of clear water (cello) makes it tinted.  

Its more a mark of age, not a sign of degradation or change in the cigar. Aging and fermenting is totally different in tobacco. The aging doesn't do much by itself for the smoothness, but a longer fermented then aged (see Davidoff sticks) makes it smooth and creamy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
It's my understanding that the cello yellows as the oils from the wrapper leaf are transferred.  The oilier the wrapper the more the cello will yellow with time.

A lot of cigars are made with tobacco that's aged after fermentation, then rolled, bundled and aged a little longer in aging rooms.  Then put into cello, boxed and shipped to retailers.  The longer they age after that the more yellow the cello can get.  The cello only tells part of story.

It's subjective, but a lot of cigars get better with age.  There is a point of diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that the cello yellows as the oils from the wrapper leaf are transferred.  The oilier the wrapper the more the cello will yellow with time.

A lot of cigars are made with tobacco that's aged after fermentation, then rolled, bundled and aged a little longer in aging rooms.  Then put into cello, boxed and shipped to retailers.  The longer they age after that the more yellow the cello can get.  The cello only tells part of story.

It's subjective, but a lot of cigars get better with age.  There is a point of diminishing returns.
View Quote
So like wine it can less good after a certain point in aging
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So like wine it can less good after a certain point in aging
View Quote

Particularly with cigars that are lighter to start with, definitely yes.  

And different people like different things - if you’re someone that enjoys sharper edges and more distinct flavors in cigars, for you age may make them taste more muddled instead of subjectively improving them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see no reason to take them off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Remove the cellophane.
It’s there for handling purposes and to prevent damage. That’s only if you have the ability to store different cigars separately. If they’re touching other brands you risk changing flavor profiles, so in that case leave the cellophane on.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in that camp. What's to be gained? It can still protect them, as they are moved around in the humidor, and can reduce the rate at which they lose humidity when the humidor is opened. Plus, if your stock is mixed, it stops them from changing the flavor profiles of whatever they are touching, and vice versa. I really don't see what's to be gained by removing the cello before it's smoked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top