BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2018 12:08:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Milwaukee at work and really like them. The M12 FUEL line will out power the 18 volt stuff from not that long ago, M18 FUEL is awesome. My little impact driver will power big spade bits and drive heavy lag bolts very well and my FUEL hammer drill bores holes in concrete or brick just fine. I don’t have much use for corded stuff anymore and if I could get my hands on a FUEL SDS rotary hammer I wouldn’t need anything corded.

Instead of buying a whole fleet of tools why not buy one, say the reciprocating saw that you’re really unsure of, and see how it does?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Ford vs Chevy

Look across the line up of both brands, and pick which has more tools you would use.

I chose yellow, but have a spattering of red too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think you will enjoy cutting old oak with a cordless. As you know, that stuff is hard.
I like Milwaukee, if that matters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with Milwaukee for all my cordless stuff and couldnt be happier.  With that said some of the guys i work with went with dewalt and they are just as happy.  I dont think you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve gone Milwaukee though I’m not a pro. From my research both dewalt and Milwaukee will do very well.  You may need to keep several batteries in rotation as hard seasoned wood works the cordless stuff pretty hard. That said for saws the blades make a huge difference in performance (as I’m sure you know). My recip saw walks through seasoned hardwood like a turbo termite with good blades. My little impact driver is a beast and the fuel version has another 25 ft lbs of grunt.

One nice thing I’ve noticed with my Milwaukee stuff is it recharges quickly. When demolishing and rebuilding my deck I could not out run the charger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Besides my few Sawzalls, I  have a m18 fuel impact driver with the hydraulic impact driver, and for what I do, working on cars / general fabrication it's awesome,  the impacts can be turned all the way down to use a small Torx bit for removing a diffuser, ir it can knock off a wheel that is put on at 90lbs..

Like you, I needed to hitch my wagon to a particular brand for battery commonality, and really like the Milwaukee stuff, it just seems cutting edge,  or tier1...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the flexibility of the DeWalt 60V Flex Volt.  I run a 60V framing saw and a 60V angle grinder.  Love the power station which turns four batteries into a battery generator to run 110V stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My best friend has been doing construction for 24 years. He and his entire crew all run Dewalt.  He has a mix of 60V and 20V gear.

His tools get used hard and he loves them.

I went with M18 Fuel. I abuse them hard a few days a week doing side work.

Two years ago M18 had more tools in their lineup. That has been narrowing.

The Dewalt worm drive cordless circular kicks the Milwaukee’s ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW.....look on Ebay for your batteries if you go yellow.  I have most of the 20v dewalt line.  20v 5ah batts are easily found for $50 shipped. You can't beat that price.  I dont have any Milwaukee tools so I can't comment there.

Heck even the tool only on Ebay. Just bought a nib dewalt 20v recip saw for $60 shipped.  $120 in the store.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Every Milwaukee tool I have ever owned heats up extremely hot when under a lot of use especially my recip saw, Corded and cordless tools both. The Milwaukee tools also seems bigger and heavier vs dewalt it seems, which isn’t bad necessarily, but getting into tight spots and stuff is more difficult. We buy dewalt for work/home, and the new 20v batteries are awesome. The big 20v batteries 5-6amp/hr seem to last almost a month between charges when used on the impact drill which we use all the time. I want to try out one of the 60v string trimmers for lawn maintenance soon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had them all in the last 20 years.  Started with Makita back when they were huge but had the strongest clutches on the market, switched to DeWalt because they were stronger, upgraded the dewalts for bigger batteries, switched to Milwaukee for the bigger kits, dropped them all to switch back to Makita when the compacts came out and they kept up with all the older cordless brands......yesterday I needed another set on a job site and one of my guys convinced me the new Milwaukee fuel drills were stronger.  He was right.  I bought a 12 volt set along with the compact bandsaw and before this month is over I'll be picking up a few more sets.

I have an unbelievable collection of cordless tools I've taken out of the field.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both. I have some of each and will not part from my M12 tools(mainly for the ratchet). I am buying more Dewalt since Milwaukee is now owned by China.

The XR series Dewalt tools are basically their Fuel line just so you can compare a bit better.

I only have the Flexvolt 12" sliding miter and the table saw. The miter saw is awesome, I can crosscut 16" on that beast. The table saw is a good traveling saw. No dado stack and it used 8 1/4" blades. I do not own any of the flexvolt handheld tools, although I kinda want the big circular saw.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I went the Milwaukee route and am happy about it.

If I wake up tomorrow and someone has changed all my tools to DeWalt or mikita. I'll be smiling. I just got new tools.

I just haven't seen one brand be dominate on jobsites. Once in awhile you'll run across someone that's had a bad experience with one brand or another. Mostly people like what they have. I'm sure you'll like whichever you get
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm finishing a basement and doing it myself.  Framing, electrical, etcetera.  I have a mix of 20V Dewalt stuff.  I have two chargers and three of the 20V smaller batteries.  I'm always rotating out the batteries because my impact driver eats them when framing with screws.  But the batteries take about ten minutes to charge so it's fine.  I also use a few drills, reciprocating saw, oscillating tool, right angle drill, circular saw, etc.

Wouldn't mind picking up a few of the bigger batteries.  I also have a 20 volt adapter for some of my older 18V tools, like my reciprocating saw(Hell, the impact driver is an 18V tool that works great with the adapter).

One of my things I considered when getting started was Dewalt has a service center here in Louisville.  Never had to use it, but good to know it's local.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#30]
If I run the batteries really hard such that they’re hot coming off the tool once or
Twice the thermal protection has kicked in and the charger will refuse to charge.  They have to cool down for maybe 10 min or so and then they charge normally.  As to ambient temperature I’ve worked in coolish weather 20’s/30’s as well as 90’s and can’t tell any real difference in charging time.  I only have a single bay charger but it easily keeps up with my  slow self. If I was using professionally I’d invest in a multibay charger so I’d always have an empty charging slot open.

As far as blades go I’ve had sucky success with every brand demo blade I’ve used.  Good
Luck there.

The Milwaukee cordless grinder doesn’t have the muscle of a dewalt corded (I’ve got both) but the convienance is well worth it to me. Now if I had some lenghy heavy duty grinding?yeah corded and probably use a 6” grinder to really get it done. And for me the flap Wheels do abetter job of grinding metal than the hard wheels do. Milwaukee’s toolless change works great for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I just used a cordless Dewalt 60v XR max circular saw to cut a 3 inch thick walnut beam. No problem.

I’m enjoying my Dewalt 20/60V XR max tools.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I've used Dewalt for 25+ years, broken many tools, still happy.

Milwaukee is very aggressive right now and trying harder than Dewalt They seem to have more incentives and deals.
Be careful with buying kits. They usually are lower grade equipment, that's why they are so cheap.

My favorite sawsall of all time.

I haven't carried a corded sawsall on a truck in a decade.

If you cut a lot of thin steel, this thing is amazing.

The only corded tools I still keep on the truck are a drill, which sees light about twice a year, angle grinder, and SDS max drill.

I work on 100 year old buildings as well. Sharp tools and the correct blade selection are your most important thing's though. You can't overcome dull blades with brute force. These tools are strong enough to hurt you just from torque.

If you go the kit route, it helps get into a system quickly, but plan on upgrading with bare tools as you go, you will need to.

Don't bother with the m12 stuff, just more crap to drag around for very little advantage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good to hear from somebody who has been around both.

Interesting that Milwaukee is actually dropping some tools.  Wonder if they're going to introduce something new?
View Quote
I meant compared to Dewalt,  they had a wider range. The gap between the two is what is narrowing.

As far as I know,  the only tool that they are having severe issues with is the 1-9/16” sds cordless.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#34]
regrettably Milwaukee doesn't offer a pole saw though
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm finishing a basement and doing it myself.  Framing, electrical, etcetera.  I have a mix of 20V Dewalt stuff.  I have two chargers and three of the 20V smaller batteries.  I'm always rotating out the batteries because my impact driver eats them when framing with screws.  But the batteries take about ten minutes to charge so it's fine.  I also use a few drills, reciprocating saw, oscillating tool, right angle drill, circular saw, etc.

Wouldn't mind picking up a few of the bigger batteries.  I also have a 20 volt adapter for some of my older 18V tools, like my reciprocating saw(Hell, the impact driver is an 18V tool that works great with the adapter).

One of my things I considered when getting started was Dewalt has a service center here in Louisville.  Never had to use it, but good to know it's local.
View Quote
You should try the newer brushless stuff.
As great as it is to keep older 18v  tools alive with the battery adapter, there is a night and day difference in power & battery life with the new brushless stuff.
So far the best deal I’ve seen on batteries is two 4ah for $99 at Costco in store.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You should try the newer brushless stuff.
As great as it is to keep older 18v  tools alive with the battery adapter, there is a night and day difference in power & battery life with the new brushless stuff.
So far the best deal I’ve seen on batteries is two 4ah for $99 at Costco in store.
View Quote
For Dewalt?

How recently?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Not to complicate things, but Home Depot has a great deal as of Yesterday on M18 fuel gear. Hammer drill, impact driver, hackzall and packout midsize box with two 5.0 batteries and one 6.0 for $400.

Would almost buy that to get rid of the garbage Dewalt NiCad shit we have at work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@postpostban

Thank you for this post.  Some questions in red.

Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@postpostban

Thank you for this post.  Some questions in red.

Quoted:

Milwaukee is very aggressive right now and trying harder than Dewalt They seem to have more incentives and deals.
Be careful with buying kits. They usually are lower grade equipment, that's why they are so cheap.

I admit that I'm afraid of this exact thing. Right now I'm looking at a deal at my Home Depot.  It's the brushless 60v max framing saw kit with charger and battery for 269.00  That's stupid cheap from what I've found, but I keep going in there and walking out, thinking, "what am I missing?"

My favorite sawsall of all time.

I haven't carried a corded sawsall on a truck in a decade.

Why do you like that one in particular?  (That may be a dumb question, but even Dewalt has more than one.  I"m interested in what you do and why you like that one necessarily, cuz I bet you've used several.

If you cut a lot of thin steel, this thing is amazing.

The only corded tools I still keep on the truck are a drill, which sees light about twice a year, angle grinder, and SDS max drill.

I work on 100 year old buildings as well. Sharp tools and the correct blade selection are your most important thing's though. You can't overcome dull blades with brute force.

.  Agree 100 percent and am open to advice, always.   Finding decent blades is a whole nuther discussion for me. Many years ago an amazing old guy who I consider a mentor (gone for a few years now, but the guy could do anything. I mean ANYTHING.  Couldn't find the right hinges for a house he was building (log cabin built from old pens) so he made them. Yep, that's right. He freaking MADE these two-foot-long strap hinges, all shaped just right for the age of the structure.  Had the forge in a shed behind his house.  It was no thing to him.  "Don't like those?  What do you like?  Okay I'll be back"  And they would cost hundreds of dollars each if I ordered anything similar from some vintage hardware place.  He was amazing, and I miss being able to drop by and say, "Mr. Newman, I've got this, what would you do?" Gave me a nail puller and I carry it everywhere just cuz it was his.)    Anyway, he told me, "Spend your money on the tools that cut.  If it cuts, buy the best you can afford."   I took his advice and have always done exactly that. Which includes blades.  I'm kind of frustrated about blades right now.  Diablo is working great on my circular-blade tools, but not so impressed on the reciprocating saw blades.

That's a lot more than you wanted to know about my history with saw blades, I know.

These tools are strong enough to hurt you just from torque.

Got it.  That's a good thing.

If you go the kit route, it helps get into a system quickly, but plan on upgrading with bare tools as you go, you will need to.

Don't bother with the m12 stuff, just more crap to drag around for very little advantage.
Thank you.
I'm not a tool nerd by any means, but I'll give it a go. I don't like saws with the blade on the right. I'm right handed, so I want to be able to do fine cuts without doing a contortion act. Last time I looked, all the 60v. saws were right side blades. That's a no go for me.
Look for little details in the kits like amp ratings, magnesium bases for the circular saws. It can be hard to tell from internet pictures, they often post the wrong ones.

Find a tool and hardware store that will listen to you. Go in and talk to them regularly. The box stores will be a better buy, but a good store like Fastenal (if they have good employees) can really help you pick better equipment. A local store would be even better. If you are regular and friendly, they can be a huge resource and insight.

Never buy Irwin or Dewalt cutting tools, Garbage.

I like that sawsall because it has a nice compact size that works great between studs, good aggressive cut, fits in a tool case with a blade in it, and the blade change is easy.

Sawsall blades, I don't like diablo. I was a lenox guy for years, but they have changed for the worse. Carbide tipped ones suck.
Milwaukee I actually making some decent ones, surprisingly. I think they have consumer grade and pro grade stuff though, so be careful there.

Find a good blade sharpening guy, for your ship auger bits and saw blades you don't abuse. A good, fresh table saw blade is like heaven.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top