Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2020 1:23:39 AM EDT
I've got a fairly-new Citizen watch that is solar powered.  For some reason the watch just ticks every 2 seconds which is not normal.  I've left it in direct sunlight for a long time but, apparently, it's not fully charging.  Is there like a little battery in it that gets charged by the sun?  Would that be something any general watch store could fix?  I'm sure warranty is over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2 second skip is showing low power. It needs to be charged for a longer period of time. The best option for charging one is under the sun. I put my solar watches on the dash board of my car for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it’s a feature to let you know to charge the watch.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a sign of low power.

Citizen watches come with a 5 year warranty.

It is a battery.
Is really more of a rechargeable solor cell.

These last on average 6 - 12years

Any general watch store can fix it.
Replacement cost is about $50 - $80

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
edit: I'm a couple minutes slow today.  Citizen Eco-Drive has a five year warranty I believe, add a year if registered online. "Fairly new" may be in the five year window. Give Citizen a call maybe?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Before you return it or other drastic action, reset it.

Eco-drives do that 2 second tic to show you it died and potentially isn’t accurate to current time.

I think you pull the crown to the ‘set time’ position and leave it out for 30 seconds to reset the 2 second warning ticking. (Might have to be longer, but I think it’s a 30 second period)

I found that out the hard way when I let my eco-Zilla die in a drawer.  Took a few days to find the “reset” info online.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
@powpow17

Did resetting the mechanism work?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not a battery, it's a capacitor. You didn't post which watch you have (Citizen has hundreds of Eco-Drives) but the capacitor is most likely the Panasonic MT621. They are around $25, and any watch shop can swap it.

First try OiRogers advice and charge it with the crown pulled out. If it doesn't hold a charge, I'd contact Citizen and see if they'll fix it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you gentlemen for your advice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top