Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2020 1:09:10 PM EDT
I'm working on a family tree and coming across more than a few Norman and French ancestors in England and Scotland prior to 1066. How common were the Normans, and the French in England and Scotland before the conquest of 1066? I've been searching but can't seem to find much info about it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm working on a family tree and coming across more than a few Norman and French ancestors in England and Scotland prior to 1066. How common were the Normans, and the French in England and Scotland before the conquest of 1066? I've been searching but can't seem to find much info about it.
View Quote

Common enough that William's claim to the throne was from family (maternal if I recall correctly).
Also I imagine some creative lineage building was done post conquest to be eligible for various things
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The Normans were Vikings (“Northmen”) who settled on the French coast. As such, they had close ties with the Vikings who settled in England.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Normans were Vikings (“Northmen”) who settled on the French coast. As such, they had close ties with the Vikings who settled in England.
View Quote

I believe that might be the case for some of what I'm seeing, but many are noble and titled, with french names. I don't know if French names would have been used in the former, Dane Landers born in England"? It's just a little interesting bit of history I found while exploring that that tie period in history. And it is defiantly true about many of the Normans, of "Northern" have traced more than a few back to their Viking roots.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Common enough that William's claim to the throne was from family (maternal if I recall correctly).
Also I imagine some creative lineage building was done post conquest to be eligible for various things
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most definitely creative fudging of family trees went on and still goes on. I am finding that to be the case, the more I go down the rabbit hole researching these family trees and their genealogy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife is a descendant of the first King of Scotland and William the conqueror's father. Pretty much Scotland was ruled by the Normans, who as somebody else said originally, were given Normandy France by the French to keep them from raping and pillaging the rest of France. The Vikings had been getting all the way Inland to Paris.

Normans in Scotland
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife is a descendant of the first King of Scotland and William the conqueror's father. Pretty much Scotland was ruled by the Normans, who as somebody else said originally, were given Normandy France by the French to keep them from raping and pillaging the rest of France. The Vikings had been getting all the way Inland to Paris.

Normans in Scotland
View Quote

Thanks for the link!

I was surprised that so many of the ruling Scottish families originally came from Normandy. They did intermarry with the native nobles and royals to some degree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top