Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2021 7:30:04 AM EDT
Alright, so my bullshit meter is going off with this guy that's a friend of a friend.

I meet him and he says he was in the Army. When I ask what his MOS was, he says "18B1P". I'm like ok, my alarm system always goes off when someone throws in a SQI with their MOS and it doesn't make sense to me that someone claiming to have been a SF Weapons Sergeant claims an level identifier of 10. So I ask him "don't you mean like 18B20 or something?" He says, "No, I was busted from SFC to PFC for some shit I got into" and declined to elaborate.

So the questions are, does the Papa SQI belong with an SF MOS? I thought it was implied but I'm no expert. My Dad has been retired from group for 40 years and has no clue what's current but doesn't recall a Papa SQI for SF.

Does your level indicator attach to your current rank or your highest NCOPD education level? Will you lose your 20 or 30 if you get busted? Also, the SFC to PFC seems like a court martial type situation and this guy was at the range with us... another red flag is his lousy shooting skills.

I've asked a few guys I know and they don't have answers either. It's not uncommon for me to chat with someone that was in and I mention I was a Ranger and have them ask "Were you a Victor or a Golf?" but I've never really heard anyone come out and give their full MOS unless it was particularly pertinent to the discussion. Usually just get the standard "11B" or "67T" or whatever.

What say the hive?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems strange.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what I found for current "P" ASI's

Code: P4: Tactical Information Operations PlannerCode: P5: Master Fitness Trainer
Code: P7: Digital Forensic Examiner (DFE)
Code: P8: Basic Special Victims Investigator (BSVI)

I'll ask some friends about a private remaining in a SF unit as an active 18B and see what they say.

Now as far as stating what my ASI was, I only told it when it was necessary. My ASI was H8 -recovery operations. But I didn't get that until I reclassed from 12B and 51B to 44E and was then put in charge of a M88 as part of the serve and recovery section.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Here is what I found for current "P" ASI's

Code: P4: Tactical Information Operations PlannerCode: P5: Master Fitness Trainer
Code: P7: Digital Forensic Examiner (DFE)
Code: P8: Basic Special Victims Investigator (BSVI)

I'll ask some friends about a private remaining in a SF unit as an active 18B and see what they say.

Now as far as stating what my ASI was, I only told it when it was necessary. My ASI was H8 -recovery operations. But I didn't get that until I reclassed from 12B and 51B to 44E and was then put in charge of a M88 as part of the serve and recovery section.

View Quote

In this case, the Papa is an SQI (5th digit) and denotes being Airborne qualified. That's what I  found odd for an 18 series soldier. While I may be incorrect, I thought all 18 series were required to be airborne qualified and those, had no Papa SQI. At the same time, I know 92R (parachute rigger) uses the Papa SQI so I really can't nail that piece down.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know anything about the MOS designation, but I saw an E7 DI get busted to an E4 for "disciplining" a trainee in 1986. Rumor was trainee ended up in the hospital, but we never saw him again. We saw the same DI after completing training as an E4 without his Smokey the Bear hat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked to a brother that is still active. Here is what he said, and also how things were back when I was in the Army.

If a SF NCO gets busted down to a private, he will not remain in a SF unit at all. They do not want trouble makers on teams and will usual ship the problem children out to Ranger or infantry units. And the solder will also revert back to his MOS that he help prior to being qualified as an 18 series.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#6]
11B1P is your standard E1-E4 infantryman who is also airborne qualified.

Edit--shit, I read you post earlier and thought you said 11 and not 18
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I talked to a brother that is still active. Here is what he said, and also how things were back when I was in the Army.

If a SF NCO gets busted down to a private, he will not remain in a SF unit at all. They do not want trouble makers on teams and will usual ship the problem children out to Ranger or infantry units. And the solder will also revert back to his MOS that he help prior to being qualified as an 18 series.

View Quote

That would be my thought if he stayed in... which is what makes the whole thing a little hinky. It's like he knew just enough to recognize I was probing him. My guess is he's full of shit and threw out something that sounded impressive and had to quickly fill in the blanks. Maybe ELSd from basic or something. At the same time, if he was court martialed and thrown out, it could have happened but then I really don't want him around me with guns unless I know he's not a prohibited person.

I appreciate everyone's input. Looks like I've got some questions to iron out. I need to find a friend of a friend that knows a little more about the MOS and SQI piece. In my active duty career, I never even had cause to think about what happens after someone gets the boot.

I wouldn't mind having my ducks lined up if I run into this guy again as I can tolerate a lot of things but faking a military career isn't one of those things. I also have no room for people joining our gun club who can't be in possession of guns. I'm also not going to level accusations without at least some knowledge of what should or could be correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top