Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 6:03:23 PM EDT
Hello,

I am considering to enlist in Army, but I have a few questions that I would like answered before signing anything. I did speak to a local recruiter, but they are very pushy and I get the impression that they may not be 100% truthful.

I did read the stickied forum with the referral thing. I PM'd a few of the users there, but I noticed they may no longer be active here.

If anyone can point me to a recruiter, or someone that knows a thing or two about the OCS I would greatly appreciate it.

Mods, I understand this may be the wrong subforum for this post. If so, please move where necessary.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you already have a Bachelor's Degree?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I do not. That is where I'm a little confused. I did see that a four year degree is required, but I also did read that there was an exception if you had a certain amount of units completed already.

I do have an AA degree, and well over 100 units from a university. Currently, finishing school is not a very feasible option for me. That's why I was hoping to see if I can speak to someone about my situation.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The last I've heard is only the Guard will comission you w/o a degree.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There are recruiters for officers and different recruiters for enlisted.  That might be part of your problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:
No, I do not. That is where I'm a little confused. I did see that a four year degree is required, but I also did read that there was an exception if you had a certain amount of units completed already.

I do have an AA degree, and well over 100 units from a university. Currently, finishing school is not a very feasible option for me. That's why I was hoping to see if I can speak to someone about my situation.
View Quote
You should be very close to completing a degree -- as already posted, it's going to be very difficult and competitive to get one of the very few OCS slots that are available without a degree completed -- and then you're going to still have to complete that degree in a relatively short amount of time.  We do have some recruiters on here, probably one will come in and give some advice.

You may want to look into ROTC scholarship programs if those are available, or enlisting and using TA and other benefits to complete your college and then apply to OCS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok thank you.

On a related note, an MOS that I have been very interested in is 31K. I know that this is not available for Officer, but I wanted to know how available is this MOS?

Secondly, let me see if I understand this correctly. I can go take the ASVAB to see what MOS are available, but I do not have to sign anything right away correct?

For example, is it possible to take all of the required tests and wait for 31K to open up? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I just want the real answers from someone honest.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok thank you.

On a related note, an MOS that I have been very interested in is 31K. I know that this is not available for Officer, but I wanted to know how available is this MOS?

Secondly, let me see if I understand this correctly. I can go take the ASVAB to see what MOS are available, but I do not have to sign anything right away correct?

For example, is it possible to take all of the required tests and wait for 31K to open up? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I just want the real answers from someone honest.

Thanks again
View Quote
You don't ever have to sign anything.  You will take the ASVAB as part of the recruitment process so they can determine what you're eligible for.  Recruiters may try to pressure you into shipping with whatever MOS they need to fill, but you don't ever have to sign anything you don't want to.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Without a degree, you're ineligible for OCS (as far as I know).
You should be able to get an ROTC scholarship or at the very least College Program (you pay your own way but are still commissioned at the end).
You'll need to be able to get into a 4 year school too.
If that's what you're interested in, you should talk to an Officer Recruiter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Army Guard will ship to OCS with 90 college hours.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Something about your posting style makes me think you are probably grossly unqualified and the recruiters just don't really give a fuck.  That's just a guess, could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Way to be a dick.  He'll have plenty of time to prove himself in OCS or ROTC.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Way to be a dick.  He'll have plenty of time to prove himself in OCS or ROTC.
View Quote
Yeah, I know...  Just getting that vibe.  Like I said, could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Without a degree, you're ineligible for OCS (as far as I know).
You should be able to get an ROTC scholarship or at the very least College Program (you pay your own way but are still commissioned at the end).
You'll need to be able to get into a 4 year school too.
If that's what you're interested in, you should talk to an Officer Recruiter.
View Quote
For Navy OCS, certainly.  There's at least one other service program that will commission without a degree through OCS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: waddlingweezol] [#14]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Something about your posting style makes me think you are probably grossly unqualified and the recruiters just don't really give a fuck.  That's just a guess, could be wrong.
View Quote
I may or may not be grossly unqualified, I wouldn't really know. I did take the preliminary ASVAB, and scored 76. I do not know if that is good or bad. I consider myself to be physically fit. I do 60 push ups every morning and run 5 to 7 miles twice a week. I'm not saying that that this is some amazing feat, and I don't know if based on this I would be considered good or bad.

The reason I said I don't trust the recruiter was because he said, "who cares what job you get, you're in the Army". He then said to come down the next day at 8 am sharp and sign up.

He gave the impression of being a guy that needs x amount of spots filled up and could care less weather I'd sign up to push papers, scrub toilets, or be a pilot.

It's a big commitment, and that's why I want to get real answers from someone that has nothing to gain based on whether I sign or not.

I admit that I do not know a lot about this whole process, because it's something I recently started looking into.

And I'm not offended by your comment, so no worries. Please don't sugar coat anything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
He sounds like a Marine Corps recruiter masquerading in an Army uniform.  He doesn't quite get the salesmanship part of the job.  Poor bastard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
76 on the ASVAB isn't bad and should get you into most of the E fields.  Don't know about the O side.

60+ college hours should also get your E3 right out the gate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I did speak to a local recruiter, but they are very pushy and I get the impression that they may not be 100% truthful.
View Quote

If his lips are moving, He is lying.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cobra-ak] [#18]
See your nearest OSO of the branch of service you want, call him and make an appt.

Officer slots are very few historically and all volunteer, if you don't cut it at OCS, you go back home. You will be interviewed by probably  a board of 3 officers formally and have to qualify physically and medically

You will not incur an obligation until you graduate, you are not enlisting
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cobra-ak:  See your nearest OSO of the branch of service you want, call him and make an appt.

Officer slots are very few historically and all volunteer, if you don't cut it at OCS, you go back home. You will be interviewed by probably  a board of 3 officers formally and have to qualify physically and medically

View Quote
I don't believe that is the case for the Army.  You enlist as a 09S, go to OCS.  If you don't make it, you change your MOS.  I could be wrong, my experience is on the Guard side.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cobra-ak] [#20]
I don't believe that is the case for the Army.  You enlist as a 09S, go to OCS.  If you don't make it, you change your MOS.  I could be wrong, my experience is on the Guard side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cobra-ak:  See your nearest OSO of the branch of service you want, call him and make an appt.

If you enlist for that purpose, yes

I know a kid that is desperate to get in, went thru all the selection, medical, physical, security, PFT and had to go thru 3 interview boards. He has done it twice and has not been selected. It is competitive

It is not an automatic enlistment, you have to jump thru hoops. If it's 5 guys and they have slots for only 2 in an area, it means 3 will not be selected
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Run away from anyone who is not interested in helping you serve in the job(s) you want.  Trust your instincts and find a different recruiter.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
Run away from anyone who is not interested in helping you serve in the job(s) you want.  Trust your instincts and find a different recruiter.
View Quote
He is not in a bargaining position even in an Aviation bound program. Everything is done by where you stand in your class and a little luck. You may have to wait even a while for an aviation slot and some other specialized slots.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
There are recruiters for officers and different recruiters for enlisted.  That might be part of your problem.
View Quote
Unless there was a drastic turn since 2014, then there is no difference between a recruiter for OCS and regular enlisted.  You speak to the same individuals that you would coming fresh off the street to join as a E1 fuzzy as you would a dude that wants to go WO Flight Program or OCS.  Some are more versed in the information and details of the programs, but anytime that you speak of OCS it's a HIGHLY selective process with OCS boards only a few times per year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mb121:
Unless there was a drastic turn since 2014, then there is no difference between a recruiter for OCS and regular enlisted.  You speak to the same individuals that you would coming fresh off the street to join as a E1 fuzzy as you would a dude that wants to go WO Flight Program or OCS.  Some are more versed in the information and details of the programs, but anytime that you speak of OCS it's a HIGHLY selective process with OCS boards only a few times per year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mb121:
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I know a young guy that has gone thru 3 boards already waiting for a slot, more competitive than enlisted
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#25]
I am going through the OCS process right now.

I am a former E5 in the USMC, zero moral issues at all, Bachelors in Finance 3.8 GPA. Masters in Finance 3.9 GPA. 127 GT score. Treasurer of a non profit. Currently working for a worldwide mutual fund company.  LORs from a USN Captain, my former USMC Commanding Officer, and the mayor of my city of 350k people and I aced the PT test.

My recruiter was still iffy if I'd get selected - it's that competitive. The Army gets almost everyone it needs from ROTC and the Academy. OCS guys need to be at the pinnacle to be considered. My recruiting battalions mission is 2 all year long and they meet that in the 1st Quarter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:
I am going through the OCS process right now.

I am a former E5 in the USMC, zero moral issues at all, Bachelors in Finance 3.8 GPA. Masters in Finance 3.9 GPA. 127 GT score. Treasurer of a non profit. Currently working for a worldwide mutual fund company.  LORs from a USN Captain, my former USMC Commanding Officer, and the mayor of my city of 350k people and I aced the PT test.

My recruiter was still iffy if I'd get selected - it's that competitive. The Army gets almost everyone it needs from ROTC and the Academy. OCS guys need to be at the pinnacle to be considered. My recruiting battalions mission is 2 all year long and they meet that in the 1st Quarter.
View Quote
I bet you could have gotten selected if the draft was still ongoing. There were doctors and lawyers and lots of bachelor grads sometime drafted, those guys were plucked right out of the line. A lot of guys here are under the impression that it's the old shake and bake. It is competitive now, very competitive
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#27]
a few years ago a friend of mine graduated from TAMU, was in the corp & squared away
and tried several times to get a USMC officer job;
ended up going enlisted (ostensibly to get into jarhead OCS) but is going to leave after
his first hitch is up.

apparently it's not a given for any but the Academy (which his brother has 1 year to finish)
and the top ROTC guys
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I graduated USMC OCS last summer and get commissioned in May when I graduate with a bachelors in civil engineering. I did the PLC program which allows you to be a normal college student and attend OCS in the summer. If you already have a bunch of college credits, you should think of finishing your degree. For the USMC, recruiting is different for officers and enlisted. I would look up who the OSO is for your school and get in contact with him. There is also the OCC program which allows you to go to OCS after you already have your degree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top