Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 5:37:19 PM EDT
Caught a news piece  about the python problem in FL.

They apparently pay folks to hunt them because the snakes are eating all the coons , deer, etc. In the news reel, the hunters were sacking them live. I assume they bring them in for bounties to be paid.  

What kind of money do they get paid?  Big ones fetch more, i figure. What i wonder is why you have to trouble with snatching and bagging a 100 lb snake. Could a time stamped photo of decapitated snake do instead? Maybe issue a standard measuring device to use in photos to keep folks honest. That seems like that would result in more dead snakes.

We do something like that in kayak bass tourneys. Catch fish, place on standardized measuring board, take photo with the day's qualifier number in the photo, set fish free, then submit photo. Cell phone cams set date, time and locatiin in metadata. That, the standardized board and issued qualifier keeps things honest.

In the python hunter's case, the dead snake is left for wild critters to sup on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like someone needs tom watch swamp people:serpent invasion
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

History channel.  Watched a couple episodes. I just stumbled onto it and kept watching.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

History channel.  Watched a couple episodes. I just stumbled onto it and kept watching.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched it until they started with the phony baloney Mountain Monsters type "there's another team out here stealin' our snakes" bullshit.

I lost interest after that.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not sure what it pays but watch snakeaholic on youtube. He holds the record for the biggest Burmese caught at over 18ft.
State Record Python 18ft 9.25inches Full Hunt | Snakeaholic
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Those licensed by the state get paid minimum wage, they have to take the snake live to a station. They also get  paid extra for each foot in length of the snake over 4 foot(I think its about $25 a foot). From there the snake is killed, measured weighed, stomach contents are inspected, and then the entire snake is turned over to the hunter. He can then do what he wants with it, sell the meat, make items out of the skin, etc.

I was certified last year for the Python challenge in January, but spinal fusion surgery caused me to miss the hunt.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I watched it until they started with the phony baloney Mountain Monsters type "there's another team out here stealin' our snakes" bullshit.

View Quote

That is the wife's favorite program. She laughs like hell watching them catch those fucking snakes. I told her that the camera crew was probably in the car that was supposedly stealing the snakes. Yeah, they add drama to the show, but watching those guys catching snakes is entertaining. I sure as hell wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Turns out someone was actually stealing their snakes though
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is the wife's favorite program. She laughs like hell watching them catch those fucking snakes. I told her that the camera crew was probably in the car that was supposedly stealing the snakes. Yeah, they add drama to the show, but watching those guys catching snakes is entertaining. I sure as hell wouldn't do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either. Stomping around in a snake and gator infested swamp is bad enough, but the whole "got to bring 'em in alive" thing is a deal killer.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I went out and did it with some friends, and it seems like if it's something you want to pursue full time, it will bring some money, but for the weekend warrior it isn't worth your time.

And it's also screwy whether you can kill it or need to capture it alive depends on where you get it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Independently verified or do you know it just because that's what they showed on TV?

On Mountain Monsters they watched the Other Team kidnapping Bigfoot.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
They probably don't want some douche photographing a dead snake they found in the woods and trying to get paid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I see they are using dogs now to sniff out the snakes. Smart
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't mind it but the hamming it up and yelling for the camera every single time the snakes lash out or make a sudden movement gets real old...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw Swamp People at my dad's a few years ago, but I gave up cable/sat BS over ten years ago. Call it willful igunce.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Many things I’ll never fuck with and big ass snakes are one of them. Kill them all. Products of satan
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those licensed by the state get paid minimum wage, they have to take the snake live to a station. They also get  paid extra for each foot in length of the snake over 4 foot(I think its about $25 a foot). From there the snake is killed, measured weighed, stomach contents are inspected, and then the entire snake is turned over to the hunter. He can then do what he wants with it, sell the meat, make items out of the skin, etc.

I was certified last year for the Python challenge in January, but spinal fusion surgery caused me to miss the hunt.

View Quote

Honestly, take your time with healing and rehab. Dealt with a close loved one post surgery. Not something you want torush.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Me either. Stomping around in a snake and gator infested swamp is bad enough, but the whole "got to bring 'em in alive" thing is a deal killer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they are making money off python hides, i can't understand why they need to bother bringing the critters in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They probably don't want some douche photographing a dead snake they found in the woods and trying to get paid.
View Quote

Easy solution....machete off a chunk (head/tail, whatever) after first qualifier photo. That will photographically disqualify the a foundling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Many things I’ll never fuck with and big ass snakes are one of them. Kill them all. Products of satan
View Quote

Putting a bullet in it's brain will take that wresting it from its hide mess. Easier to drag out an expired critter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I don’t understand why they don’t just shoot them then take them in ?

Fuck catching them
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
They want to measure the snakes and determine the stomach contents to see what the snakes are eating.

It's probably easier to assess the health, size, weight and etc of the snakes if they come in live. Ya kill them first and they lose a piece when you hack them up, the blood drains out, they start to rot, etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t understand why they don’t just shoot them then take them in ?

Fuck catching them
View Quote

From doing my usual Google FU it seems licensed snake agents can kill them. I imagine the TV snakes hunters capture them alive for ratings and to prevent PETA retards going ape shit about it. Seems like the FL wildlife agency prefers them dead and not to transport them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
It seems to me that if this is a true infestation , Florida would open this hunting up to everyone and place a bounty on them.
Did I read right? 35 authorized hunters? What will that do?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Shoot em and grind up for fish food is fine with me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Just do what the FWC says or you will be anally raped for 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Just convince a certain group that Everglade species python pecker soup will triple the size of your wang and they'd be extinct and gone in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
How the fuck do you bring in an 18 foot snake alive?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How the fuck do you bring in an 18 foot snake alive?
View Quote
One foot at a time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top