Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 1:17:37 AM EDT
Just wanted to open up a thread to discuss python issues. Learning, sharing etc..
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan of whitespace delineated formatting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Love the syntax, but I am still new.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you love TABs, you'll love python

Other than that, it's very C-like. That's all I've got to say about that...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If you get stuck don’t post an odd bit of code with no obvious intent (smart ass).

I’ve spent the last week trying to learn it for a small project. I think I actually have a working program running a PID control loop for my smoker and logging stuff to a csv file. Now I just need to learn how to get some kind of web interface running on it.

I did not want to learn how to program but it’s pretty easy to get going. Good waste of COVID time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BASE:
Now I just need to learn how to get some kind of web interface running on it.
View Quote

Django or flask can get you a web UI pretty fast.

Also, PEP-8 sucks when dev teams brainlessly try to follow it. At the very least, have a discussion about the 79 character line limit to reveal the characters on your team.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m going to try to cobble something together with flask. I started reading about it last night and looks doable, even for a non programmer.

I built this thing with a beautiful OLED display in mind. Yesterday I got to the part where I mount everything in the box and it’s dead. Worked fine right up until I cut a hole in my box to fit it and now it’s not doing anything. Seems it’s a discontinued part which is a different size than anything else I can find.  now I have a little more incentive to figure out how to control it remotely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

it's very C-like.
View Quote

You seem to be confusing Python with Perl.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
I'm not a fan of whitespace delineated formatting.
View Quote

My biggest problem with the language.  Being able to structure code visually the way I want is a feature.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:

You seem to be confusing Python with Perl. 
View Quote

Or they're both quite C-like...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Or they're both quite C-like... 
View Quote

Python is nothing like C. In fact if I had to pick a scripting language that was the most dissimilar to C, it would be Python.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If you love TABs, you'll love python

Other than that, it's very C-like. That's all I've got to say about that...
View Quote

Python is about as far from C as a language can be.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
I'm not a fan of whitespace delineated formatting.
View Quote

and this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I need to get back in to learning python.  Other than BASIC as a teenager, I haven't learned any other language, so writing programs is not a natural thing for me.  I was trying to learn with a site that would give a lesson, then test you in an emulator that allowed a program to be written and executed, and it let you move one if you got it working tight.  I eventually got hung up on something that should've been simple, and set it all aside.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]
That sounds like the codeacademy program. I worked through those a few years back. Looks like they are charging money for a lot more of the courses now.

thinking up something I wanted to do and then trudging through it taught me more, faster than any of the tutorials.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I found another reason besides the white space delineating to not like python. Moving from 2.x to 3.x was a giant pain in the dick. I spent hours getting all the drivers and libraries to work again.

I spent all day yesterday figuring out that running flask with debugging will seriously bungle up the timing of threads. I still have no idea why but after 12hrs of pulling my hair out, I decided to change that flag to false and everything started working perfectly.

This really wasn’t the fun and relaxing project I envisioned it being but my smoker works again now.  About $100 parts and at least a 100hrs of pulling my hair out.

Behold:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top