Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2018 12:31:56 PM EDT
This post is a question I got from my Father in Law a Vietnam Veteran.

I heard that if I am going to be on medication for my nerves and being a combat wounded vet I have got to turn my guns  in.
I'd rather sell them.  I don't even think they would be allowed in the house.   Is this true?

Any advice from you guys?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Do NOT do so.  Consult a lawyer after asking your VA doc and/or mental health provider for a copy of your medical records.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do NOT do so.  Consult a lawyer after asking your VA doc and/or mental health provider for a copy of your medical records.
View Quote
@darkpaladin1

I dont understand.  Do not do what?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@darkpaladin1

View Quote
Unless you genuinely want to do so or personally feel you need to do so, do not sell them or turn them in to anyone.  You would have to be judged legally incompetent tor law enforcement would have to enact a civil forfeiture before you are required to get rid of them.  If that hasn't happened you are not required to give them to anyone or divest yourself of them.  There have been rare cases of the VA having firearms removed from disabled veterans, but you are also under no obligation to tell them that you own firearms to begin with and those cases usually don't end well for the VA.  If genuinely you feel such a thing may happen, get a copy of all of your medical records ASAP to see if there may be something written on you that you are not aware of and consult a lawyer.

ETA:  I am not a layer so take my advice for what you paid for it.  However there are a lot of rumors and bad information out there on the VA requiring vets with certain issues having their firearms being confiscated or being forced to sell them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless you genuinely want to do so or personally feel you need to do so, do not sell them or turn them in to anyone.  You would have to be judged legally incompetent tor law enforcement would have to enact a civil forfeiture before you are required to get rid of them.  If that hasn't happened you are not required to give them to anyone or divest yourself of them.  There have been rare cases of the VA having firearms removed from disabled veterans, but you are also under no obligation to tell them that you own firearms to begin with and those cases usually don't end well for the VA.  If genuinely you feel such a thing may happen, get a copy of all of your medical records ASAP to see if there may be something written on you that you are not aware of and consult a lawyer.

ETA:  I am not a layer so take my advice for what you paid for it.  However there are a lot of rumors and bad information out there on the VA requiring vets with certain issues having their firearms being confiscated or being forced to sell them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@darkpaladin1

OK thanks.  I have read this on the net, but there is still conflicting info out there.

BTW, just to be clear... this is my Father in Law asking me and i'm asking you guys.. I am not a Veteran and he's like 70 years old and not real good on the internet, thats why I'm helping him out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK thanks.  I have read this on the net, but there is still conflicting info out there.

BTW, just to be clear... this is my Father in Law asking me and i'm asking you guys.. I am not a Veteran and he's like 70 years old and not real good on the internet, thats why I'm helping him out.
View Quote
Understood.  As you said, there is some conflicting info our there.  His best bet is to hold onto them, get a copy of his records, and talk to a lawyer who specializes in this type of issue.  If he feels that someone is actually trying to have them confiscated or removed he should have them kept temporarily with someone he trusts so they are safely kept until he gets the answers he needs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Trump killed plans on a national level for this to possibly occur.   However many states have their own set of "Red Flag" laws in place.  I'd check with your own home state laws first.   One would presume "some" drugs would be excluded while "some" others may be on a list.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of your help.

I advised him to give his guns to someone else that doesnt live there and seek medical help.  He doesnt carry or keep any handguns laying around. Him and his wife both shoot trap, so she knows how to use a shotgun and I advised her to keep one for self defense if she feels its needed.

The reason I advised him of this is because you never know what sort of reaction you are going to have to any meds and since he thinks he is depressed I would hate for him to go off the deep end.

I'm sure I am going to end up with some of them and his son the others.  He has already gifted his daughter (my wife) a S+W revolver.

He doesnt have a huge collection, just a pistol or two, a hunting rifle and a couple trap guns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@darkpaladin1

I point blank asked my PTSD therapist if this meant they were going to take away my firearms. In a very serious tone I was told "not unless I seem you a danger to yourself or others."
Hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top