BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2020 12:11:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Our mmu never worked.  It was a bitch to get it to simply run.  My opinion is the mmu isn't debugged enough to be sold yet.  Good luck with it, you will need an enclosure to print stuff other than pla...
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered the kit for the same reason (lead time).

When Prusa says, "Our fastest customer built the kit in 4 hours!", take it with a grain of salt.  Picture the guy in the Domino's Pizza TV commercial folding boxes.

I highly recommend using the online instructions to compliment the printed instructions.  The online high-resolution pictures make it easier to identity the proper orientation of parts / assemblies.

I was happy with this purchase,

Prusa i3 MK3 MK3s rubber foot 3030 frame upgrade kit

If you go this route, make sure to install the rubber feet before attaching the plates to the aluminum extrusions.  The instructions call for the stock feet to be installed after the plates are attached.

Good luck!  Obviously, you have a lot of experience with 3D printers.  I'm a total newbie.  I found the kit to be an extremely valuable learning experience.  I still need to print and assemble my Ikea Lack table enclosure.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My MK3 isn't working.  No power.  I need to get back into it and see what I wired wrong.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
They are nice printers, I have ran the crap out of my mk3.

Only real complain about it is the hot end assembly. It is so packed in, you pretty much have to tare the whole thing apart to do any maintenance on it. Also may be the reason I just rebuild the whole hot end pretty much any time I have to tare it apart. From what I have heard they made it a bit easier to take apart on the mk3/s.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Last week a guy on reddit ordered a black one with the flex plate, got it in 5 days. The orange ones take longer he thinks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
tl;dr - I gush about my first 3d printer.

I sprung for the MK3s kit in August, delivered in September. It took me roughly 16 hours to assemble, but I took my time and viewed it as an opportunity to learn everything about my printer. This is my first printer and I don't know anybody with a printer IRL.

I have rarely been so impressed with a product; the packaging, the instructions, the parts quality, the support and the final finished printer. The instruction manual is clear and illustrated. Occasionally I had to resort to the online version of the assembly manual to zoom in on the high-resolution photos to double check what I was seeing in the manual. I used a sharpie with the manual to tick off each operation/step as it was completed and reviewed each page for completeness before moving on. That helped me avoid many mistakes during assembly.

I've had difficulty getting my Z offset dialed in, mostly because it's tough for me to see such small details with my aging eyes. I found it very instructive to print a single layer plate to get that worked out.  I've been printing mainly with PLA (Prusa's and Geeetech) and have not had any problems I can attribute to the filament.

I had some difficulty getting the first layer to stick while working on my Z offset; I experimented with the glue stick (thoughtfully included in the kit!) but ended up having the best results by cleaning the build plate with 99% isopropyl after each print and a once a week cleaning with acetone. I bought a bunch of each bulk on Amazon and some squeeze bottles to dispense. I rarely have a failure for the first layer to stick now.

I've been using TinkerCAD to design simple stuff and have just looked into Shapr3d which is expensive (not as expensive as others to be sure) and requires an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. I've worked thru some of the Shapr3d tutorials and it's very nice to use after TinkerCAD. I would prefer to buy software like this "outright" rather than the SaaS models we now enjoy, but nobody asks me.

I've only ever used PrusaSlicer and so far it has been straight-forward to me. I don't know enough about other slicers to know how it compares (I understand PrusaSlicer is a fork of Cura).

Lastly, and you likely already know, Octoprint is the missing piece that enhances the usability of the printer. I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected via USB-A to USB-B (supplied with the kit!) with a cheap Wyse v2 camera supplying a video stream. I keep my printer in the garage and it's nice to keep an eye on long prints (or cancel prints that have gone wrong, had a death whistle print go stringy towards the middle of the print when the filament got tangled on the roll, lessons learned).

I am very pleased with my MK3s and Prusa in general.

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The only issue I had with my Mk3s kit was bed leveling using the factory spacers. When printing something that covered most of the print bed, you could see differences in the first layer over the entire printbed. Done the Nylon nut mod with a prusa octo print bed leveling addon and all is well. I thought the bed leveling sequence the printer does before each print would take care of that, but no.

Printed PLA, PETG, PC, and TPU so far. Nothing to complain about yet. Do have a click in the bed y axis, think its bearing related. After I had it for a week, I ordered build sheets and filament to justify the shipping. Need to order some spare parts just incase, again more filament.

Prusa slicer really takes the guess work out of alot of it. All my filament come from Prusa so far and the factory settings are spot on. Already printed all the factory parts and they look identical to what was sent in the kit. I manually changed speed using PLA to 150 or 180 mm/s (cant remember) and printed fine. Lost some fine detail, but function was good.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats a pretty good lead time, I might need to order one of these.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My MK3 isn't working.  No power.  I need to get back into it and see what I wired wrong.
View Quote

I found 2 mistakes:

The LCD ribbons were reversed.  Easy fix.  The self test lead me to the second problem.

The head sensor cable was not routed through the back plate with the cable bundle and won't allow the carriage full travel.  Now I have to pull it and hope I don't have to pull all of the plugs.

Lesson:  Go easy on the bourbon at midnight when assembling the printer.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice and congrats on your new printer!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: Lesson:  Go easy on the bourbon at midnight when assembling the printer.
View Quote
I made the same mistake.  Every time they told me to eat a bear, I thought I as suppose to drink a beer.  Doh!

I love my Prusa i3 MK3S.  It's like 3D printing for dummies.

I'm always in need of a custom jig or part.  I recently put together a force gauge to measure Glock captive recoil spring assemblies,

I needed a jig to hold the recoil spring assembly.  I cranked out a jig using Fusion 360 in minutes,

NDZ Performance offers a tool to disassemble / assemble Glock gen4 - gen5 modular recoil spring assemblies.  I needed a modified version of the tool to work with a Glock 44 recoil spring assembly,

Again, minutes to design with Fusion 360.  Of course, a couple of hours to print (0.15 mm / 15% infill).
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I made the same mistake.  Every time they told me to eat a bear, I thought I as suppose to drink a beer.  Doh!

I love my Prusa i3 MK3S.  It's like 3D printing for dummies.

I'm always in need of a custom jig or part.  I recently put together a force gauge to measure Glock captive recoil spring assemblies,

https://wickedstone.com/WS_Force_Gauge.jpg

I needed a jig to hold the recoil spring assembly.  I cranked out a jig using Fusion 360 in minutes,

https://wickedstone.com/WS_Force_Gauge_Jig.jpg

NDZ Performance offers a tool to disassemble / assemble Glock gen4 - gen5 modular recoil spring assemblies.  I needed a modified version of the tool to work with a Glock 44 recoil spring assembly,

https://wickedstone.com/WS_G44_RSA_Tool_1.jpg

Again, minutes to design with Fusion 360.  Of course, a couple of hours to print (0.15 mm / 15% infill).
View Quote

That's awesome.  I have 360, but I've only played in it a little.  I use AutoCAD daily, but only 2D doing site design.  I'm lost in 360.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: That's awesome.  I have 360, but I've only played in it a little.  I use AutoCAD daily, but only 2D doing site design.  I'm lost in 360.
View Quote
I had absolutely zero CAD experience (2D or 3D) two months ago.  There's certainly a learning curve with Fusion 360 (I'm using the free version).  There are several multi-part Fusion 360 tutorials on Youtube.  I watched a tutorial or two, but then I just started hacking.  I now understand enough basic operations to design simple parts.  I export the design to an STL file.  Import the STL file into the PrusaSlicer.  Hit "Slice now" and save the resulting GCODE file to an SD card.  Done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Printing the obligatory Benchy now, using the included gcode from Prusa. I have no doubt that it will turn out just fine, but will update with a pic later. So far, it looks perfect. I'm using the included galaxy silver? PLA. It isn't Prusament, but their "basic" line of filament that is made by 3rd party manufacturer(s) and branded Prusa. I don't really care as I will be using Atomic filament anyway, but I will burn this spool up.

I honestly found "silent" mode to not really be any quieter than "normal" mode. I don't see ever using "silent" mode.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0200_JPG-1698304.jpg
View Quote

Prusament is made by them in house. It is really nice quality filament just a bit of a pain to get here in the US. Neat little gimmic is the QR code on the box will look up the info from the production of your spool and has a nice chart of the tolerancing sampling during the production.

I don't use the silent mode either.
About the only time you really notice the silent mode is on the rapids, it takes a lot of the high pitch noise out but if your in an area with ambient noise you don't really notice it at all.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I got mine fixed last night and ran the self test and everything is good.  Tonight I will load filament and do my first print (ever).
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I really appreciate everyone, especially the OP, to take time to post tons of info on 3D printing.
I am totally out of my element.
Based solely on the advice here I ordered an assembled Mk3 a couple of weeks ago as well as a lot of atomic PLA & jumbo roll of clear PETG once I get comfortable with the printer.
Are there any spare parts, wear items, etc I should go ahead and order from Prusa as well?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You want the textured sheet for PETG. You don't have to, but that is what they use in their printer farm for all the PETG they print, and for a good reason: it is durable and fast.

Other than that, most of the parts for the MK3 that you may need/want spares of, you can source from the US, such as nozzles (use genuine E3D nozzles, no chinesium), and, actually that's all I can really think of that you "need" spares of. Most of the other parts will give a long service life before needing anything but oil.

Make sure you have some 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol, acetone, shop rags (less lint than regular paper towels), some "canned air" (unless you have dry/oil free shop air nearby that you can regulate), tweezers for cleaning filament buildup from the outside of the nozzle, and a garbage bin next to your printer for all the purge lines, skirts, support material, etc.

You should always have a smoke detector above your printer as well, just in case.

The other tool that you really should invest in is a filament dryer. The cheap way to do that is to get a round adjustable temp food dehydrator and gut the racks. Get a remote thermometer (like the little K coupler types that come with DMMs) to get the actual temperature readings at the various settings, sharpie that onto the unit. Even new filament, even of good brand, even for PETG, can sometimes need to be dried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really appreciate everyone, especially the OP, to take time to post tons of info on 3D printing.
I am totally out of my element.
Based solely on the advice here I ordered an assembled Mk3 a couple of weeks ago as well as a lot of atomic PLA & jumbo roll of clear PETG once I get comfortable with the printer.
Are there any spare parts, wear items, etc I should go ahead and order from Prusa as well?
You want the textured sheet for PETG. You don't have to, but that is what they use in their printer farm for all the PETG they print, and for a good reason: it is durable and fast.

Other than that, most of the parts for the MK3 that you may need/want spares of, you can source from the US, such as nozzles (use genuine E3D nozzles, no chinesium), and, actually that's all I can really think of that you "need" spares of. Most of the other parts will give a long service life before needing anything but oil.

Make sure you have some 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol, acetone, shop rags (less lint than regular paper towels), some "canned air" (unless you have dry/oil free shop air nearby that you can regulate), tweezers for cleaning filament buildup from the outside of the nozzle, and a garbage bin next to your printer for all the purge lines, skirts, support material, etc.

You should always have a smoke detector above your printer as well, just in case.

The other tool that you really should invest in is a filament dryer. The cheap way to do that is to get a round adjustable temp food dehydrator and gut the racks. Get a remote thermometer (like the little K coupler types that come with DMMs) to get the actual temperature readings at the various settings, sharpie that onto the unit. Even new filament, even of good brand, even for PETG, can sometimes need to be dried.

Thank you.  I did order both plates.  I wasn't sure if/when I would need them but ordered both anyways since it did not cost much.
I ordered a sunlu dryer off amazon & will be storing all filament in a big gasketed box as suggested with dessicant.
I'll order a case of canned air now & typically keep the rest of the list of consumables on hand.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Also get one of these to hang above 3d printer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D42CXWV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

From exsperince I would also recomend the hotend upper and lower ptfe liner, and a heat break.

The ptfe liners will wear out over time.

The heatbreak is kindof a weak point in the E3d hot end design. They are only about one good crash away from bending/breaking. Also if the nozzle plugs up and the filiment back fills in to the heat break there is not a really good way to get it out. Often you are better off replaceing the heat break then trying to get the blockage removed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Success!  I got everything calibrated and completed my first 3d print - the Prusa logo.  

Benchy is printing now.  Then, on to something useful.  What is useful?
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted: What is useful?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I jumped on the bandwagon with the mmu v1. It was dogshit.
I then spent more money upgrading to the 2. It is slightly less smelly dogshit.
I'm back to just using one filament at a time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I wish I could find a solid and reliable option for a two nozzle system for the prusa, then it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#36]
That was my original intention too, soluble supports. Multi color is cool too but the supports are what really interested me. I wasted $100 on wolf3d soluble supports only to have them decay before I could ever get using them properly.

I could just never get either mmu variant to be very reliable. I did manage to make a custom cataan game a while back. But it was painful how many failures I had.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wish I could find a solid and reliable option for a two nozzle system for the prusa, then it would be perfect.
View Quote

This would be my preferred route now too, but you lose so much build volume but doing so... Or at least I can't figure out how to do it without that problem.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
cyclops retrofit would be about the only/best option for 2 materials. Leaves you with a bowden setup though, and the print temps of the two materials would need to be same/similar enough. Biggest use there, IMHO, would be soluble supports and your primary filament. You could mount the extruders on a custom modified X axis idler end cap, it would keep the bowden tubes short.

Maybe I should play with that idea for my homemade i3 based printer I'm working on...
View Quote

That's a pretty neat ideas actually after looking it up.
I'll be honest ever since I upgraded to the first gen mmu I miss the true direct drive setup -- bowdens are tough with TPU and I had to upgrade the tubes once due to friction points developing in them.  
The cool part is my filament stays protected from dust from storage to feeding to printing though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#40]

That makes me smile.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: The ringing makes me cringe
View Quote
I'm not sure of the "resolution" with which the G19.3 frame (above) was printed.  This print (below) appears to be more fine.

I also envision a "stipplator" with which you select your Glock frame (e.g., G17, G19, G26, G45, ...) and then you select from one of say, half a dozen popular stipple patterns.  The stipple would be printed into the frame.  The stipple should shift your focus away from the ringing.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Did you get the mmu2s yet? I dont remember what the lead time was?

I have seen a few videos on the palette? I think? It does 4 instead of 5 filaments, but havent seen much in the threads talking about it, anyone try it? Its pricey, but all ive heard is bad stuff about the mmu2s...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted: My primary want for the MMU2 is for soluble supports.
View Quote
+1

I'd prefer a Prusa dual extruder, but if your MMU proves to be a no-drainer / foolproof / WSSD (Water-Soluble Supports for Dummies), I'm in!  I have no interest in multi-color.  I just don't want to be plagued by the horror story which is the Prusa MMU.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top