Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2021 12:37:14 PM EDT
Anyone mix their own humidifier fluid? Curious what the recipe is; online I'm seeing 50:50 PG and distilled water.

I'm using a foam humidifier in a small-ish humidor. After initially using the PG/DW mix, do you recharge with just DW? Does the PG evaporate or does it build up over time requiring new foam?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone mix their own humidifier fluid? Curious what the recipe is; online I'm seeing 50:50 PG and distilled water.

I'm using a foam humidifier in a small-ish humidor. After initially using the PG/DW mix, do you recharge with just DW? Does the PG evaporate or does it build up over time requiring new foam?
View Quote

I would recommend you ditch the foam, foam will develop mould. At the very least use florist beads. Bovedas have been very stable for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I cut off the bottom of a small water bottle (12-16oz) to use as a saucer, and cut a new sponge to match the diameter and about 1.5"' tall. Then soaked it with a mixture of P.G. and Distilled H2O (50/50) and poured enough in to raise the level about half way up. When your humidity meter starts dropping rinse out the sponge and repeat with a fresh mixture. Been doing that for a couple years.... can't beat the price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Do cigar people really not know about Boveda?

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but we are cheap and want to know how to make that shit without the 500% markup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear boveda can be refilled.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, but we are cheap and want to know how to make that shit without the 500% markup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve recharged my Boveda packs multiple times.  I’ve got about $60 in each storage container and they’ve lasted me a couple of years at this point.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hear boveda can be refilled.
View Quote

They absolutely can be.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buy what you need once. Recharge them when needed, done. They last a very long long time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ve recharged my Boveda packs multiple times.  I’ve got about $60 in each storage container and they’ve lasted me a couple of years at this point.
View Quote

How?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've recharged my Boveda packs multiple times.  I've got about $60 in each storage container and they've lasted me a couple of years at this point.

How?
Distilled water.

Soak the dried packs in distilled water for a couple days, they'll turn soft again.  Take them out of the water and pat them dry with a clean paper towel and let them air dry for a few minutes.  They'll be good as new.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Boveda is the best way to maintain humidity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Distilled water.

Soak the dried packs in distilled water for a couple days, they'll turn soft again.  Take them out of the water and pat them dry with a clean paper towel and let them air dry for a few minutes.  They'll be good as new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've recharged my Boveda packs multiple times.  I've got about $60 in each storage container and they've lasted me a couple of years at this point.

How?
Distilled water.

Bingo.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Distilled water.

View Quote

That's good to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
How is soaking boveda packs in DW to recharge them different than adding PG/DW to an oasis foam humidifier?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How?
View Quote
Can also just stick them in a car with distilled water in it and in a few days it fills back up without having to soak it. When they get dry or near dry put them in a container that seals, put some distilled water in it in a small container. Fills back up. Toss them back in the humidor when done. It's two way, sucks in when humid. Puts out when dry. Have multiple in humidor and toss 1/2 of them in something to recharge and then the other half. Never a problem and minimum maintenance every so often. If your humidor is sealed well can go months and months before charging, like twice a year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can also just stick them in a car with distilled water in it and in a few days it fills back up without having to soak it. When they get dry or near dry put them in a container that seals, put some distilled water in it in a small container. Fills back up. Toss them back in the humidor when done. It's two way, sucks in when humid. Puts out when dry. Have multiple in humidor and toss 1/2 of them in something to recharge and then the other half. Never a problem and minimum maintenance every so often. If your humidor is sealed well can go months and months before charging, like twice a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

I’ve had four 320g packs in a 60qt tupperdor for the last 12 months and they’re still going strong.  I’ll eventually recharge them exactly the way you describe.  The best way I’ve found is to put them in a Sistema Klip It with a saucer of distilled water under a piece of Spanish cedar that’s been soaked in distilled water.  After three to four days the Boveda pack looks like new.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Once again, florist foam will develop mould. Toss that in the trash.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Once again, florist foam will develop mould. Toss that in the trash.
View Quote

I've had oasis foam humidifiers and never had a mold issue. Just keep the RH lower.

Ok I bought a few of the bovedas. You just throw them in the humi?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top