Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at those and it's a great deal, new camera at used prices.

Canon is replacing all the DSLR models with mirrorless models in the same "slots". Expect an R1 flagship and a crop sensor model to replace either the 7d or 90d next year.

With the ability to use existing EF and EF-S plus old FD via adapters, I'm shopping myself. The only knock against mirrorless for me is that they tend to be too small.

ETA: EOS R mk 2 expected next year as well so 3 new bodies.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]
What a great deal, but yeah mirrorless has a few neat tricks and I would need new lenses.

Used EF lenses should really start dropping soon.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I expect all my gear to become antiquated in a short time. Oh well.
So far the biggest knock I've had about mirrorless is the slow focusing/inability to focus lock in lower light.
But I'm using a Canon m5, top of the line at time of purchase.

Even with fast ef lenses mounted via adapter it's hit or miss getting a focus lock, especially if I'm shooting skies. And that's something I have no trouble with in my regular ef bodies.
I hope the newer r mount mirrorless proves they've overcome that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a great deal, but yeah mirrorless has a few neat tricks and I would need new lenses.

Used EF lenses should really start dropping soon.
View Quote

Hopefully they get cheaper, I have been saving for the 100mm macro L - canon just raised the price from $900 to $1300. That was a real kick in the dick.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Canon pretty much owns 50% of the camera market regarldess if it DSLR or mirrorless. Nikon is falling further and further behind, the Nikon mirrorless Z6- & Z7-series barely keeps up with the Canon R5 & R6. The competition is getting so intense that Sony who only makes mirrorless camera have drop some prices on their mirrorless counterparts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-100mm-f-28l-macro-is-usm-refurbished

Canon refurb is essentially brand new with warranty.
View Quote

Not bad but still $150 more than new just a few months back.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Likely a Black Friday sale coming at Refurb store. Check Often.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Canon pretty much owns 50% of the camera market regarldess if it DSLR or mirrorless. Nikon is falling further and further behind, the Nikon mirrorless Z6- & Z7-series barely keeps up with the Canon R5 & R6. The competition is getting so intense that Sony who only makes mirrorless camera have drop some prices on their mirrorless counterparts.
View Quote

I own Canon gear.
But market share isn't everything. Consider how small a slice of the market Hasselblad owns. Yet they control that niche nicely. I don't think Nikon is going away.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh... haven't handled a mirrorless body yet  that I like the ergos of (from any brand), nor do I care for the squared rangefinder look.

I've locked into Canon DSLRs... including a new 90D and I just ordered a 100-400mm IS II tele last night and hope it'll replace my Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and two Canon 70-200s (F/2.8 IS USM and F/4 IS USM) for my daily raptor "expeditions". I mostly care about wildlife photography. If I was more into portraiture and landscapes, then maybe mirrorless would be calling me harder. But I have no interest in using a converter. If I was gonna go mirrorless, then I'd go full native mirrorless.

Nevertheless, now that I'm back in the camera game after a 10 year absence... it is a bummer that DSLRs are on the way out. But they'll be around for a while yet. Not like everyone is going to dump their DSLRs immediately.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Used DSLR gear will drop in price. Win/Win!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
meh a 1dx mk ii ain't a k. Let me know when that happens, still think DSLRS have a place, though I no longer use them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I want a new to me DSLR, I've given up on worrying about being compatible with my old lens, as there are fewer choices-I think the Nikon D7200 or 7500 were the only ones?
So perhaps there's hope for affordability yet, regardless of brand, since I'm more serious casual photographer than pro.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Used DSLR gear will drop in price. Win/Win!
View Quote

Except that it will get rarer and harder to find, too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Canon has a patent release (who knows when the equipment itself will be made?) for a tilt/shift adapter that couples standard ef lenses to the mirrorless format adding a tilt/shift capability to the camera format using standard ef lenses (not the tilt/shift lenses).
So yes, mirrorless is the next major shift. Your L series lenses won't go to waste after all!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Mirrors are certainly going the way of the dodo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow!

That is a helluva deal
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I looked at those and it's a great deal, new camera at used prices.

Canon is replacing all the DSLR models with mirrorless models in the same "slots". Expect an R1 flagship and a crop sensor model to replace either the 7d or 90d next year.

With the ability to use existing EF and EF-S plus old FD via adapters, I'm shopping myself. The only knock against mirrorless for me is that they tend to be too small.

ETA: EOS R mk 2 expected next year as well so 3 new bodies.
View Quote

Where will the R MkII fall in the lineup with the new R5 and R6?  Higher price than R6 or lower?  Higher than R5?

I wouldn't mind staying current by getting another R II as long as it retains the same build quality (magnesium body) and has IBIS and dual card slots. But I don't want to shell out R5 money for it.

It would be nice if it slotted in between the R5 and R6.  But maybe when it comes out everyone dumps the R5 and they have to discount it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been getting fb ads for a Nikon Z50 with 2 lens from a local camera store for 1099. I don't know the details on the camera, but that doesn't seem bad.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think the mirrorless is the new standard, DSLRs don't have big gains left. DSLRs are awesome. Mirrorless is the new frontier and all the brands are competing for the largest slice of this new type to remain relevant.

I'm looking at replacing my D500 with something better and full frame. I've ordered a D850. I compared the D850 against the Z7 (nikon's flagship mirrorless), and the images on DPreview's compare lab just look better.

I hope the new Z series does well, and I suspect (and hope) that Nikon's new oversized lens mount will allow medium format into the future.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Decided I'm gonna be selling the D750 for something else soon (gotta be ready to go by next fall and high school football) and thought I had my mind made up on a D780, but this mirrorless stuff keeps coming back to haunt me.  

This mirrorless advancement should start driving down the cost of the D780, at the minimum.   Decisions decisions!!!!

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#23]
vmax84: Good decision. But I don't think the D780 price is not going to drop appreciably in the next few months.

For me I am going to keep my D500. The problem for Nikon mirrorless is that it needs more development. Even though I have a Sony A6600 which is the current SotA Sony mirrorless body. I have Sony lenses that functions pretty much like the equivalent of my mirrored D500. For me I will keep the D500, And even thought the A6600's focusing mechanism is highly touted,  I gets way more out of focus photos with it than my D500.  Also the low-light capabilities of the D500 doesn't even compare to the A6600. The D500 is a very capable camera.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
they're not there yet.. not 100% anyway

they're still lacking in a few places (types of shooting, such as sports and wildlife) *(ymmv)

maybe in about 2 years?

meanwhile, my  ' newest ' camera acquisition is a Nikon F5

I can now ditch my old canon film gear and use the F5 with all my DSLR gear.. best of both worlds
View Quote

I have been super happy with my mirrorless cameras.  They have kept up with my airshow shots,  and in some cases surpassed my DSLR.

A couple of my newest aviation shots with my A7III and the 100-400 GM
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My A7II and the 70-200 GM
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A77II and the Tamron 150-600
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Arf compresses them unfortunately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top