Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 11:26:24 AM EDT
Who are you using for PLI?

I am looking for a new provider.  Currently use FEDS, but not impressed...

Who do you use for your PLI?  PM me if it's not something you want to put out there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is really going to depend on what the work is and what coverage you need.  We use Frost and then have been good to us, but our policy is not cheap. That is mainly due to the nature or our work and the contractual insurance requirements of our clients.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Starr Wright is who I have used in the past.  They were endorsed pretty heavily back in Quantico
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starr Wright is who I have used in the past.  They were endorsed pretty heavily back in Quantico
View Quote

Do they allow you to pick your own attorney or do they require you to use theirs?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do they allow you to pick your own attorney or do they require you to use theirs?
View Quote

Honestly I dont know.  Been a few years since I had my policy
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had FEDS for several years now, why dont you like them?

I know a few people that have had incidents, and from what they said, FEDS was very easy to deal with...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are a FED LEO, you have two real choices in 2021:
   1) FEDS (who has the most fed ELO experience) or  
   2) Career Guard where Noone is working now. (he has a ton of LE experience)

Wright & Wright that is now Star & Wright lost their edge for LEO's about 10 years ago with a retirement of one person and another who left. AFGE has no LEO experience- all admin crap. GEBA is actually FEDS.

I have dealt with Wright & Wright and FEDS heavily as an agent, then as a FLEOA agency rep, and as management.  I have been on both sides of the table with them. There is no comparison- FEDS is the clear leader. I have also been several event and lectures with Noone and he seems equally competent. He is well spoken of by the staff at FEDS and I am surprised they have not tried to bring him in. I know of one person who used him who avoided a 30 day automatic with misuses of the GOV and the defense was pure genius level.  

FELOA's counsel will give you the first 24-48 hours. Then your PLI needs to pick-up until DOJ decides if you are scoped. If you are scoped they typically depart then unless you have potential admin issues.  If you are not scoped, they will stick around. If you don't like the fact they won't let use a local attorney, and only their staff, don't be. Your local lawyer buddy likely does not have the same experience or knowledge of the federal LEO world, MSPB or DOJ cilil rights unit despite what they say.  

DOJ will tell you you don't need PLI.  They are not right, but they are not wrong. There are several factors, and usually, at some point, they lean towards needing. For $500 a year, you get lawyers on retainer 24/7 for criminal ($100K in fees), civil matters ($3 million in fees and indemnification) and admin issues ($200K in fees). In today environment, it should not be optional.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Wright and Wright was good in the day.  My partner got jammed up, by a federal judge in the 2000's, in a trial where the judge was screwing the defense attorney, (and, everyone knew it, but no one was going to write off their career to report it), to try and help her win the case, and left him with a Hawthorne type problem by ruling that he could never testify in his court again.

Wright and Wright paid out  over $40,000 to an attorney who saved his bacon, and got it all quashed.  

In this day and time, you  would have to be crazy to be in law enforcement and not have professional liability  from somebody.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top