Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2021 8:27:32 PM EDT
After having it for a few years, today I ripped open the pack, loaded up the three mags and headed to the range with 4 builds.  2 midlengths and 2 10.5.  The CMMG bolt must have a VERY light hammer because every few rounds were failures to fire.  Loaded the same rounds into my P22 and they fired without an issue....so problem number one.  The two pistols accepted the bolt without an issue.  However, the bolt would not fit into the rifles....and it specifically stopped right at the little brass bushing or whatever the proper name is.  All 4 guns were PSA builds.  Contact PSA or CMMG or get both?

TL:DR...

1.  Firing pin impacts too light.

2.  Bolt wouldn't fit into rifle chambers but fit into pistol chambers just fine.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean. Lube. Variety. ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean. Lube. Variety. ?
View Quote

All 4 were never fired brand new guns, well lubed.  This was a problem of the brass piece not fitting into the chamber on the rifles and the pin struck too light.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging. I just got one of them
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Never fired one, but doing research on the bolt recently I saw several people mention specifically issues with PSA rifles. Could just be a coincidence because PSAs are common.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a CMMG kit that suffered from light primer strikes. I'll break it out every once in awhile to fight with it to see if I can get it to work, then give up and put it back up again. Been in storage now for probably 5 years since I last tried. If you succeed shoot me a message with how you did it.

Sent mine in to CMMG and they said it ran fine. I tried different ammo and everything, light primer strikes every 3rd round or so.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Had a CMMG kit that suffered from light primer strikes. I'll break it out every once in awhile to fight with it to see if I can get it to work, then give up and put it back up again. Been in storage now for probably 5 years since I last tried. If you succeed shoot me a message with how you did it.

Sent mine in to CMMG and they said it ran fine. I tried different ammo and everything, light primer strikes every 3rd round or so.
View Quote

That's disheartening.  I've thought better than that of CMMG.  So they were told it still didn't work after you sent it in to be fixed and did nothing??  

Prior to buying this 3-4 years ago, I was told how good-to-go these were and flawless in their operation having been out for a while.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Am I missing something OP? The cmmg conversion is just a bolt. No hammer. Hammer is in the lower. What triggers were used?
Fwiw: dedicated barrel and collar is better

Also, sometimes the bounce of the bolt against buffer is enough to cause malfunctions. And, if your chamber adapter doesn’t fit snug, you may be losing inertia.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I missing something OP? The cmmg conversion is just a bolt. No hammer. Hammer is in the lower. What triggers were used?
Fwiw: dedicated barrel and collar is better

Also, sometimes the bounce of the bolt against buffer is enough to cause malfunctions. And, if your chamber adapter doesn’t fit snug, you may be losing inertia.
View Quote

Yes it's just a bolt.  

Wait....should I have taken out the buffer/spring?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a CMMG kit and designated .22 rifle from them back in the day.  Both had same issues.  I sent the conversion kit and rifle back and they fixed them.  I actually had to sent the rifle back twice.  They made it all good though.  If I'm not mistaken, I think they changed the design on the spring or something that was on the bolt.  Like I said though, it's been a while, probably 8 years of so.  No problems since then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a CMMG dedicated upper. The bolt and sliding rail they move on must be clean and all surface's lubed. I use Amsoil 75-90 gear lube; never a problem.Mini- mags work best and chamber must be clean. Very accurate and cycles fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a dedicated CMMG 22lr upper with the stainless steel bolt upgrade.
I haven't ever had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes it's just a bolt.  

Thanks!
View Quote

Nope, they stay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine has always worked fine. Following up with steel case 223 doesn’t though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have bought a few over the years and never had any issues
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a Taccom or Borebuddy reliability kit. It includes a conical plug that goes between the buffer and bolt to put more pressure against the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a CMMG rimfire kit in a 10.5 PSA upper/LPK.  Flawless operation so far with many hundreds of rounds fired.  In fact, I trust it more than my 10/22 to not jam or fail to fire.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple of the CMMG dedicated kits that I had the light strike/misfire problem with.
I noticed that the feed ramp appeared too high in relation to the chamber.  It prevented the cartridge from fulling seating.  I put it in my mini mill and machined the ramp flush with the chamber mouth.  After that, it was 100%.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope, they stay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it's just a bolt.  

Thanks!

Nope, they stay.

But they're not necessary, and can be removed if you like. I don't run any buffer in my AR-22.

If you plan on switching back to any other calibers at any point, I'd leave the buffer and spring installed for simplicity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven't had any problems with mine unless I use Remington golden bullets.  Then it's 1 or 2 bad ones out of a magazine.  Federal and CCI work great.   What are you shooting in it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a couple of the CMMG dedicated kits that I had the light strike/misfire problem with.
I noticed that the feed ramp appeared too high in relation to the chamber.  It prevented the cartridge from fulling seating.  I put it in my mini mill and machined the ramp flush with the chamber mouth.  After that, it was 100%.
View Quote

Same with mine.  The ramp was preventing the round from fully seating.  Got a lot of click-no-bangs.

I used a round needle file to grind the ramp down a bit.  Been great ever since.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get a Taccom or Borebuddy reliability kit. It includes a conical plug that goes between the buffer and bolt to put more pressure against the bolt.
View Quote

"This is the way"
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Need the plastic plug between the buffer and bolt. Solves these problems. I think some folks have had luck with using coins.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After having it for a few years, today I ripped open the pack, loaded up the three mags and headed to the range with 4 builds.  2 midlengths and 2 10.5.  The CMMG bolt must have a VERY light hammer because every few rounds were failures to fire.  Loaded the same rounds into my P22 and they fired without an issue....so problem number one.  The two pistols accepted the bolt without an issue.  However, the bolt would not fit into the rifles....and it specifically stopped right at the little brass bushing or whatever the proper name is.  All 4 guns were PSA builds.  Contact PSA or CMMG or get both?

2.  Bolt wouldn't fit into rifle chambers but fit into pistol chambers just fine.

Thanks!
View Quote

My Ciener conversion kit insert does not completely fit in some rifle's chambers.

A too tight chamber at any point could create and interference situation.

Are the firing pin impacts because the bolt is not fully in battery or the entire conversion assembly is too far rearward from the chamber adapter not fuly entering the chamber?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Had the same insertion issue on my 2 PSA uppers as well as a home built.  I think you can get a new brass collar from CMMG if you contact them.

I solved my issue by building a dedicated upper.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My Ciener conversion kit insert does not completely fit in some rifle's chambers.

A too tight chamber at any point could create and interference situation.

Are the firing pin impacts because the bolt is not fully in battery or the entire conversion assembly is too far rearward from the chamber adapter not fuly entering the chamber?
View Quote

Not sure.  But I'd assume it's positioned fine because the bolt sticks out a few millimetres and I need to press it in with my thumb as I close the upper.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had the same insertion issue on my 2 PSA uppers as well as a home built.  I think you can get a new brass collar from CMMG if you contact them.

I solved my issue by building a dedicated upper.

View Quote

That'd be an easy fix.  I see what you mean, it's just a spring clip holding it on.  Seems like it wouldn't be hard to swap out....unless taking that clip off explodes the rest of the unit or something.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's disheartening.  I've thought better than that of CMMG.  So they were told it still didn't work after you sent it in to be fixed and did nothing??  

Prior to buying this 3-4 years ago, I was told how good-to-go these were and flawless in their operation having been out for a while.
View Quote

I used to see them at the gunshows in KS and other places.  They were extremely friendly face to face, but you have a problem later and they blow you off or tell you it's you not the gun.   Experienced gun people around here mostly won't touch their crap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I used to see them at the gunshows in KS and other places.  They were extremely friendly face to face, but you have a problem later and they blow you off or tell you it's you not the gun.   Experienced gun people around here mostly won't touch their crap.
View Quote

Well I've been using their LPK's for years without issue.  And I'm going to wait to see what their response it.  I have no problem sharing accurate experience with a company....whether it makes them look good or bad.  I do call a spade a spade.  

However, this would seem to be a very simple/easy fix if the brass collar just needs to be replaced to fix the issue.  So we'll see how they respond.

The other thing I thought of....is there any way a centerfire hammer spring is LIGHTER than a rimfire?  I can see that causing a problem if so and it wouldn't be due to the CMMG's bolt having any issues but instead would be due to the hammer spring being too weak.  That's easy enough to test for me.  I could just put my 50 cal's lower on a 5.56 upper with the CMMG's bolt installed.  That thing is certainly stout enough.  Just throwing out the thought/question.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My CMMG only had light strikes with my JP speed hammer FCG.  It worked perfectly in several other rifles to include one with an Echo II.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My CMMG only had light strikes with my JP speed hammer FCG.  It worked perfectly in several other rifles to include one with an Echo II.
View Quote

Tell ya what...my BFS was a hoot!! But I noticed the same rate of fire/failure between that and the PSA lower kit.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Are you resting the rifle on the magazine while firing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one on a dedicated build, on an RRA lower and have never had a problem.  But, I did make sure the lower had a mil-spec FCG to avoid possible light strikes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have one on a dedicated build, on an RRA lower and have never had a problem.  But, I did make sure the lower had a mil-spec FCG to avoid possible light strikes.
View Quote

I believe PSA uses all mil-spec FCG.  But I'll check on that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are you resting the rifle on the magazine while firing?
View Quote

My son did for a few shots but that had no effect on helping or hurting the issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
My CMMG conversion morph into a dedicated 22 with thousands of rounds trouble free.

I believe the hammer profile plays a role in light primer strikes as well.  Might want to see if you have the recommended type.

Also, I’ve had very positive experiences with their customer service using polite emails.   The firing pin broke once so I sent a pic with my address and they responded a new one was on its way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My son did for a few shots but that had no effect on helping or hurting the issue.
View Quote

FWIW when you do figure out the problem, do not rest it on the magazine as it will create light primer strikes and failures to fire. I have seen it on 3 separate cmmg bolts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
Go to this rimfire site and do some reading up on what products they sell, etc.

They are a good company and maybe they have products that might help what problem you are having.

But you will have to read up on them because I can't remember the details of all the products they sell that might help your specific problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My CMMG conversion morph into a dedicated 22 with thousands of rounds trouble free.

I believe the hammer profile plays a role in light primer strikes as well.  Might want to see if you have the recommended type.

Also, I’ve had very positive experiences with their customer service using polite emails.   The firing pin broke once so I sent a pic with my address and they responded a new one was on its way.
View Quote

Interesting to know about the hammer profile.  Is there a page/vid that clarifies the different profiles and which work?

Also, hopefully I have the same experience with their customer service.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Interesting to know about the hammer profile.  Is there a page/vid that clarifies the different profiles and which work?

Also, hopefully I have the same experience with their customer service.

Thanks
View Quote

Notched hammers were supposedly a no no for CMMG conversion bolts in the past.......not sure if still applicable?

(Unnotched hammer):

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm too slow....

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Going to have to check all my guns.  Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Just checked and neither of the guns the bolt actually fit in had the notch.  Both had rounded tops.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wanted to update....

CMMG has been pretty good to work with.  They are sending me a new "chamber adapter" (brass collar) and they said that should fix the fit and failure to fires.  

We'll see what happens.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update....

CMMG has been pretty good to work with.  They are sending me a new "chamber adapter" (brass collar) and they said that should fix the fit and failure to fires.  

We'll see what happens.

View Quote

Thanks for the update.  

I've had a CMMG kit for over 10 years and have not had any issues with it. Most of the time I run Federal bulk pack.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I've gone through this and fixed every one of my rifles.

Heavier hammer springs slow the carrier too much, loads but short cycles and doesn't reset the trigger.

Certain lubes are too thick, Wilson Combat was too thick, as were some others.  Remoil, Birchwood, Motor Oil, all seem to work.  Same as above, short strokes and won't reset.

Some hammer profiles don't work with it, at all, Larue MBT's work great, Geissele's work great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a CMMG dedicated upper. The bolt and sliding rail they move on must be clean and all surface's lubed. I use Amsoil 75-90 gear lube; never a problem.Mini- mags work best and chamber must be clean. Very accurate and cycles fast.
View Quote

Liquid Lube, Very bad idea in any Rimfire regardless of maker..I only use dry lube in all my .22 Long Rifles..Liquid lube in a dirty rimfire is just asking for instant sludge and slurry and problems in the dirty little 22 round. Cheap ammo and wet lube just amplifies the problem even faster.

Keep you wet lube for the Big Brother.

As to the OPs problem. All my CMMG Bolt Groups run fantastic..I think you have a lower problem maybe..Maybe a Hammer spring in backwards?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a couple rifles that the bushing is a little tight in, I just smack the hell out of it to get it in.  As in rubber mallet taps in and out.

On the chambering incompletely/fail to fire issue, try a bunch of different kinds of .22LR if you don't want to work on the ramp.  It is very possible that CMMG tested it with something different than what you're using.  They're ammo sensitive.

Keep in mind CMMG saves you from having to deal with customer service satan himself, Jonathan Arthur Ciener.  In comparison, if they actually pick up the phone, and don't charge you for that/put you at the bottom of the list, you're basically getting supermodel lap dances.

ETA: I squirt engine oil, usually 0W20 all over mine, as well as my other rimfires and centerfires without issue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I have the older spikes setup, and they have a weight, and anti-bounce bolt detent that uses a spring and ball.  So far it works well enough for full auto use but it did take some messing around with.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#50]
One last update...

CMMG Chamber adapter arrived today.  It's the more recent version, rather than the one with the brass collar.  

ZERO tools needed to install.  Just pull the front forks (or whatever the fuck they're called) apart enough to release tension and the chamber adapter drops out....drop the new one in....and it immediately fit in ALL AR's.  

Awesome service and results from CMMG!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top