Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 11/30/2018 12:37:38 AM EDT
Dogo had surgery on his mouth 4 weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics and soft food. Of course his business was loose due to the soft food. Antibiotics were probably partially a culprit.

He’s been off the antibiotics and back on his regular food for over a week now. A week later he has a 1 loose stool out of his regular 3 solids.
Anyone ever experienced this and tried probiotics to get things back on track?

People have recommended probiotics. I thought what the hell, let’s consult the all knowing hive. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
FYI- this is what a Dogo looks like. You have a completely different breed or mix of some sort.

To answer your question, yes, IF your dogs digestive system flora are out of balance from the antibiotics, then Probiotics may help.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I give probiotics to my reptiles after they've received a course of antibiotics.  Theirs come in a powdered form.  Your dog will likely appreciate some yogurt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I know that personally sometimes when I take a course of antibiotics it screws up my gut flora and some probiotics help a lot. Would you use the same probiotics for a dog? I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI- this is what a Dogo looks like. You have a completely different breed or mix of some sort.

https://www.101dogbreeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Dogo-Argentino-Pics.jpg

To answer your question, yes, IF your dogs digestive system flora are out of balance from the antibiotics, then Probiotics may help.
View Quote
Thank you for the help.

I’ve spent too much time in GD. In GD, Dogo is the preferred nomenclature for all dogs as I’m sure you know. My Rhodesian would kick Argentino ass twice on Sunday. Or not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I give probiotics to my reptiles after they've received a course of antibiotics.  Theirs come in a powdered form.  Your dog will likely appreciate some yogurt.
View Quote
Good call. Thank you. I’ll give it a go.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top