Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2022 2:10:05 PM EDT
One thing I've always wondered:  How do people who own "secondhand" military fighter jets manage to keep them flyable?  More specifically...."flyable" with the necessary confidence to strap in and hit the burner?

A MiG-21 built in Gorky in the 70's by depressed Soviet technicians, then rode hard and put away wet by meth-fueled PVO Strany pilots, mothballed on the tarmac in the Urals for a couple of years, then shipped over to Long Beach.....is probably going to require levels of care and expertise you don't find at Jeff's Sky Mechanic, where they work on Cessnas and Gulfstreams.  Who's maintaining these birds (and, since the birds are located all over, I assume there's more than a couple of places where you can have 'em maintained)?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Money...lot's of money!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The documentation for maintaining military aircraft is amazingly thorough.  

And money, lots and lots of money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in the day there used to be some euro looking fighter jet on Marathon key with a big banner, fly a fighter jet.

Google didn’t find that one, but…..

https://www.flyfighterjet.com/fly-l-39-in-florida-usa#toggle-id-2
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to love looking at the classifieds for fighter jets

I think with the Mig jets for sale you'd routinely see just mountains and mountains of parts which would be included in the sale.

That was many years ago and I imagine there's now an additional zero on the price tag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually you would be surprised.  You have to remember that MiG-15, 17's and 21's were pretty basic regarding the airframes.

Seriously, your everyday Cessna or Piper A&P could work on them confidently as the mechanical instruments and flight controls were pretty much the same.  

Jet engines...........  well that is a next level but really anybody signed off on working jets these days can work on those also.  They are pretty basic as far as controls and fuel.  Again we are talking 1940's/50's mechanical tech here with almost no computer or digital.

Overall as others have said:  MONEY.  

The maintenance is probably actually cheaper than pouring oil and JetA into those things.  Operationally its just a matter of training.  The Russians had a different design philosophy to a lot of stuff.  It might surprise you that a little $50 air pump could ruin your day.  They used pressurized air systems to drive a bunch of things and if that air pump crapped out on you it would make your day very bad.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My uncle purchased one of those MIGs they brought over in the late 90's.  He could never get it airworthy and sold it.  The biggest hassle he had was with schrader valves. Seems the commie ones were vastly different that US ones.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not uncommon for a fighter jet for sale to actually be multiple jets with one airframe
that's flyable and another one or two that are parts planes. Back in the '90s when I was
getting my license our airport had three MIG-15s at the tie-downs and that was the
situation with them.

As everyone noted above, you need ungodly amounts of money as well. One of the other
jets based there was an F-86 owned by Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek) and I'm pretty sure
that one plane kept 2-3 mechanics employed full time, or at least kept that shop in business.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One thing I've always wondered:  How do people who own "secondhand" military fighter jets manage to keep them flyable?
View Quote

Privately owned Harrier:

Badass Pilot Buys Own Fighter Jet
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the opportunity to work on a foreign military trainer about 15 years ago.  Some of the parts on it, no shit, came from a home supply store.

Now, you really want your mind blown google these guys:

ATAC
Draken International
Top Aces
Air USA
Don Kirlin
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Privately owned Harrier:

View Quote

Probably about five years ago now, he flew it over to Dulles airport for the Airplane Pull/static display event they do in September.

I don't think he flys it much at all.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Privately owned Harrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHcdn8R4d4
View Quote

I was in VMAT-203 when Art Nalls went through Harrier transition.

He is a good guy and was a good Marine officer. I think he has pretty much stopped flying the jets in airshows, but no doubt still straps one on, even if its the T-model (two-seat trainer) he also owns.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not uncommon for a fighter jet for sale to actually be multiple jets with one airframe
that's flyable and another one or two that are parts planes. Back in the '90s when I was
getting my license our airport had three MIG-15s at the tie-downs and that was the
situation with them.

As everyone noted above, you need ungodly amounts of money as well. One of the other
jets based there was an F-86 owned by Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek) and I'm pretty sure
that one plane kept 2-3 mechanics employed full time, or at least kept that shop in business.
View Quote
Guy in the hanger next to where I used to work during school had Mig-15's.  He used two spares to keep one flying.

Hanger I was in had one plane (American manf.), but he had racks and racks of military surplus parts.  

Both owners were extremely wealthy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember seeing a Mig in Spokane when I flew in years ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I knew a young man who had a Mig...

MONEY MONEY MONEY...

I would sooner have a drunk Russian girlfriend...
Who is always drunk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to fly for a wealthy guy that bought an L-39.  I flew his PC-12 occasionally and got to sit in the back seat of the L-39 once.  Live ejection seats & g-suits.  That thing was a blast.  Flight department had a full time crew chief for the 3 airplanes he owned.  I could be wrong but I believe he went to school somewhere in the midwest on the L-39.  He worked on that jet a lot.  Although I don't remember it actually being broken very often, I think it was mostly all just preventative maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Platinum Fighters just knocked $1 million off the asking price of their F4 Phantom.

I ever hit the powerball, I’m buying it lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Platinum Fighters just knocked $1 million off the asking price of their F4 Phantom.

I ever hit the powerball, I'm buying it lol.
View Quote
Even the US government couldn't afford that fuel bill
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Joe Gano has a couple of MiGs that he flies out of New Castle (Wilmington), Delaware.  Haven't seen it in a few years, but he used to blast off every Sunday morning in his MiG-23.  He's got a 21 and some older ones.  Warbirds of Delaware.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ever hit the powerball, I'm buying it lol.

My job used be just outside a local airport. The day after an airshow, a private owner of an F4 took off. About 150 ft off the deck, he lit off the afterburners.

I admired it until it disappeared, then went back to my job to earn less than he spent on that takeoff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
In 1999, I was flying into Dulles from DTW...As we descended through 15,000 on the arrival, we leveled off with pretty much just the tail of my DC-9 sticking up out of the clouds.  Jokingly, I said to my F/O that the Migs will never find us in these clouds. The kid launched off onto a rant that there were no Mig's flying in the USA, and that I was a moron. Well I might just be a moron, but moments later, the Washington Center controller announced to us;

"Northwest xxx, you have Mig 15 traffic 12 O'clock, three miles, 1'000 feet above you...passing left to right.

The kid did not lip off the rest of the trip.

1950's jets, fighters or not, are pretty cheap to own, akin to a T6, or at most a T28.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out Code 1 Aviation.  It just takes money.  Lots of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guy with a rich wife (Hallmark heir) in Quincy, IL has a bunch of MiGs.  Many are fully flyable and they use them in some DoD training.
View Quote

2 MiG-29s for sale there.

Delta pilot had a MiG-21, got in lotsa trouble with the FAA doing stuff he wasn't supposed to in the thing.

Lotsa MiGs playing lawn ornaments throughout the US.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Delta pilot had a MiG-21, got in lotsa trouble with the FAA doing stuff he wasn't supposed to in the thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy with a rich wife (Hallmark heir) in Quincy, IL has a bunch of MiGs.  Many are fully flyable and they use them in some DoD training.

If the Delta pilot you're talking about was Doug Schultz, he died in that 21 off the coast of  Vancouver Island. I remember that trouble he got in too. Did an airshow performance where he kept doin high-speed low-level passes directly over the crowd which included at least one FAA inspector.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know which they burn faster, money or fuel.
I hope I'm sitting down when an owner tells me the operating costs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Check out Code 1 Aviation.  It just takes money.  Lots of it.
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM.  Have any Legos?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I vaguely remember seeing Czech MiG-21's on Trade-A-Plane for under $50K, back in the mid 2000's. I wanted one just for my back yard.

I think a few were around the $29K mark. They were extra work needed Fixer Uppers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I vaguely remember seeing Czech MiG-21's on Trade-A-Plane for under $50K, back in the mid 2000's. I wanted one just for my back yard.

I think a few were around the $29K mark. They were extra work needed Fixer Uppers.
View Quote

I'd want one I could put on blocks and just fire up and rev the engine every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd want one I could put on blocks and just fire up and rev the engine every now and then.
View Quote

Yeah, that would pretty much top anybody's barbeque gun they would bring over for your cook out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve read that a WWII fighter or bomber costs more to maintain.  Michael Dorn (Star Trek’s Worf) owned an F-86 for a while.  Not sure of current status.  I always wondered if he used his Lt. Worf voice when he talked to the tower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’ve read that a WWII fighter or bomber costs more to maintain.  Michael Dorn (Star Trek’s Worf) owned an F-86 for a while.  Not sure of current status.  I always wondered if he used his Lt. Worf voice when he talked to the tower.
View Quote

The operations, maintenance, and insurance costs for all of them are substantially more than the buy-in cost.

Part of the reason the jets are so cheap is because they don't have the collect-ability factor of the WWII airplanes, but cost just as much to fly and fix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The operations, maintenance, and insurance costs for all of them are substantially more than the buy-in cost.

Part of the reason the jets are so cheap is because they don't have the collect-ability factor of the WWII airplanes, but cost just as much to fly and fix.
View Quote

Makes sense.  I bet (vintage) hair dryers go through a lot more fuel too?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I bet (vintage) hair dryers go through a lot more fuel too?
View Quote

its relative to the performance level to some extent.  Turbojets which were used to power all the early jets instead of turbofans are notoriously less efficient in fuel use.  Almost 10x in some cases for similar power plants.  Then you get into afterburning models.  Some describe that as just pouring fuel into the tail pipe.  Its not quite that bad but it can double or more your consumption rate with the burner going.  Of course you are not going to get to the mach speeds without them in most cases for early jets.

This is where many people get into trouble.  They can afford to buy them, afford to maintain them, OR afford to fly them.  Lot of people get lured in by the first and can only do one of the others.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Sort of surprised nobody (Cessna/Textron, etc) has put together a "civilian fighter jet" with some kind of 1950's-style fuselage and some off-the-shelf business jet engines.  Just for the dudes who want to be Maverick or the Wingman in their (rich) spare time.

Or does the availability of aircraft like refurbed L-39s and MiG-21s with mountains of spares sort of depress the demand for that sort of thing?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sort of surprised nobody (Cessna/Textron, etc) has put together a "civilian fighter jet" with some kind of 1950's-style fuselage and some off-the-shelf business jet engines.  Just for the dudes who want to be Maverick or the Wingman in their (rich) spare time.

Or does the availability of aircraft like refurbed L-39s and MiG-21s with mountains of spares sort of depress the demand for that sort of thing?
View Quote
I think the only way to fund the engineering costs is by government contract for trainers.  Just not enough open market to make the costs up.

lots of old European jet trainers for sale
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Morane-Saulnier MS.760 Paris -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/ms760-1365490844-2249580.png
Can ya hear it????

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#39]
The owner of my company owns an F-86 Sabre, P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, F4U Corsair, an F8F Bearcat and other planes.  Including a G650.

Attachment Attached File

He's also a billionaire, which I suspect is a major factor in keeping them flying.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The owner of my company owns an F-86 Sabre, P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, F4U Corsair, an F8F Bearcat and other planes.  Including a G650.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/1-north-american-f-86e-sabre-nx1f-hell-e-2249636.JPG

He's also a billionaire, which I suspect is a major factor in keeping them flying.
View Quote
Which does he enjoy most?

Always had a thing for Bearcats and Corsairs.

Couple old dudes used to tow gunnery banners for us on Okinawa in F-86s, and they said they were a blast.

When I was single I toyed with the idea of buying an A-4. I have a couple thousand hours in them. With no guns or armor and the slats bolted up it would be a rocket, and there are plenty of people around who can work on them. But I would have had to devote my life to its care and feeding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Which does he enjoy most?

View Quote

He's been quoted as saying that the P-51 started his love affair with planes.  I'd go with that.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Literally, a Cessna T-37/A-37

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/209343837/cessna-a-37b-turbine-military-aircraft
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at controller.com, my heart says buy the Phantom.

But I know I'd buy the F-104 and kill myself spectacularly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/209343837/cessna-a-37b-turbine-military-aircraft

Thrust attenuators baby.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Yeah, that's a military a/c, made for the Air Force(s), and fundamentally the same as if a T-38 was being sold.

I was talking about something made specifically for the civilian market.  I'm guessing new build modern-standard a/c just simply can never compete with the price point of a military bird whose price has been amortized over 15-20 years of use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If the Delta pilot you're talking about was Doug Schultz, he died in that 21 off the coast of  Vancouver Island. I remember that trouble he got in too. Did an airshow performance where he kept doin high-speed low-level passes directly over the crowd which included at least one FAA inspector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a military a/c, made for the Air Force(s), and fundamentally the same as if a T-38 was being sold.

I was talking about something made specifically for the civilian market.  I'm guessing new build modern-standard a/c just simply can never compete with the price point of a military bird whose price has been amortized over 15-20 years of use.
View Quote
there's two that come to mind:

ATG Javelin - went defunct after some prototypes.  

Viper Jet - Kit plane, lot of work and engineering went into working out the bugs.  dufunct as well, but there are a few of them flying around.  

For the cost of these, you could have bought a couple of L-29's.  See the problem?  

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For the cost of these, you could have bought a couple of L-29's.  See the problem?  

View Quote

Yep.  It's what I figured.  So many ex-mil beaters (or not so beat) available that it chokes the market for new build civvy "fighter-esque" a/c....which also lack the cachet of being actual mil fighters.

We need another military Power to collapse into economic meltdowns, so they sell off their older-gen a/c and mountains of spares.

Wonder if T-7s will be available on the civilian market, for the extremely well-funded...
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep.  It's what I figured.  So many ex-mil beaters (or not so beat) available that it chokes the market for new build civvy "fighter-esque" a/c....which also lack the cachet of being actual mil fighters.

We need another military Power to collapse into economic meltdowns, so they sell off their older-gen a/c and mountains of spares.

Wonder if T-7s will be available on the civilian market, for the extremely well-funded...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even some of the new t-6's would probably be fun enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top