Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 7:12:43 AM EDT
For historic reasons, I'm moving away from Google Drive and Google products. I currently have about .7GB of pictures, important scanned documents, etc. to move off of Google Drive. I currently have these backed up to a local PC as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ideal cloud storage service? I am looking at pCloud based out of Switzerland based on their own cultural respect for privacy. Other option is Canadian Sync.com. Both claim to not sell data and the full suite of encryption features transport, storage, authentication, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used Protonmail for a few years now.  I recently added Proton VPN, and will probably sign up for their Beta Proton Cloud service as well.

Based in Switzerland.  End-to-End secure encryption.  No logging.

I would kill my Google account, and dump gmail.  Also move all my iCloud files over.  I like the automatic syncing that iCloud provides, but I can work around not having that.  I never use Google Drive, so I won't miss that.

I thought this was interesting:

"At Proton we believe in an open and interoperable internet where data can be freely shared. When designing Proton Drive, it was therefore important that it not become a walled garden where stored files are inaccessible to non-Proton users.  To make sharing files as easy and secure as possible, we are developing end-to-end encrypted link sharing, which will allow you to share individual files stored on Proton Drive via a simple URL link.  Even when the recipient is not a Proton user, the shared files remain end-to-end encrypted, so no one else — including us — can see them. More information about how this feature works can be found in our article on the ProtonDrive security model."
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Roll your own.  Get a Synology unit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Protonmail and pcloud-both based in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Should I need to store files on the web, I am going to be encrypting them first.

When asking these questions, it's always important to list out needs so you know what you are fixing.

"In case wild fire burns my neighborhood" is one risk to mitigate.

"Bad luck with hard drives" is another.

In general, I don't need instant access to all my stuff from anywhere, so putting something on the internet is just more risk for me and doesn't solve much in the way of problems.  I used to, but since working from home full time now I have no need to store stuff somewhere while I am at my work desk.

Considering Xiden will be having the federal fucking government after us for deprogramming before long, putting any data where any company can access, that can also be strong-armed by the government may not be a good idea. Even if it's just family pictures, those may have stuff in them that can be used against you that you wouldn't notice.

My backups are network attached SSD drives with encryption.  Once in a while I take important stuff, again, encrypted to my dad's place on a USB drive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m setting up my own Nextcloud server.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
In, I've been looking for a solution as well.  I've never been a huge fan of cloud storage but I'm tired of hard drives failing on me.  In this climate, getting away from Google seems like a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using Nextcloud for a while. I used to run it on FreeNAS but, by and large, I have found FreeNAS to be an unstable POS, even when running on all enterprise-grade hardware.

Now, I have it installed in a VM on a Proxmox (KVM, basically) box sitting behind my Firewall.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I like mine. But I worry about a house fire.  This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been using Nextcloud for a while. I used to run it on FreeNAS but, by and large, I have found FreeNAS to be an unstable POS, even when running on all enterprise-grade hardware.

Now, I have it installed in a VM on a Proxmox (KVM, basically) box sitting behind my Firewall.

View Quote

I ran FreeNAS on enterprise-grade hardware. It was rock solid. However, FreeNAS doesn't handle VM's well. Specifically, when you reboot FreeNAS, your VM's state isn't saved and it tries to reinstall it. I'm sure someone more FreeBSD and Linux savvy than me could work around this. But it was a constant annoyance when I ran Pi-Hole on a Ubuntu image on FreeNAS. It now runs on a QNAP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like mine. But I worry about a house fire.  This thread is relevant to my interests.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are way's to sync two of them together. So keep one at a family member's house and have the data encrypted. You can also have it running in your GunSafe and it should create enough heat to take the place of your goldenrod.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are way's to sync two of them together. So keep one at a family member's house and have the data encrypted. You can also have it running in your GunSafe and it should create enough heat to take the place of your goldenrod.
View Quote

That right there is some 'inside' the box thinking!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Update: have Nextcloud running in a Docker on unRAID, along with a Dockerized reverse proxy.  So far so good.  Able to access outside the LAN no problem.  Now to get my dad set up as a user and see how well that works.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ran FreeNAS on enterprise-grade hardware. It was rock solid. However, FreeNAS doesn't handle VM's well. Specifically, when you reboot FreeNAS, your VM's state isn't saved and it tries to reinstall it. I'm sure someone more FreeBSD and Linux savvy than me could work around this. But it was a constant annoyance when I ran Pi-Hole on a Ubuntu image on FreeNAS. It now runs on a QNAP.
View Quote

When was that?  I did Freenas 11.x and ran Ubuntu 18.04 for Pihole and don't experience that issue you're having.  Have since updated to TrueNAS 12.0 and still not having that issue.

I agree that I don't like how FreeBSD does things since I'm used to Redhat and Ubuntu though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using Nextcloud on Ubuntu and iOS to get our pictures and videos off of our phones without having to use commercial cloud services.  I setup a cron job to automatically move the sync'd files from the Nextcloud data directory on Ubuntu over to the NAS where they can be accessed by Plex and other apps on the LAN as needed.

Still tinkering.  Everything is automated except that you have to launch the Nextcloud app on the phone to start the sync.  Hoping to have it all automated at some point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top