Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2018 8:28:18 PM EDT
How bad to the cells smell like BO? I can't imagine theyre given a whole lot of bleach or 409 or anything, especially the ones that want to work out inside their cell. Has to approach the homeless type smell right?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They have showers everyday and are given soap. I don't imagine other inmates would put up with smelling someone's nasty ass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
So what did the judge give ya, OP?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have showers everyday and are given soap. I don't imagine other inmates would put up with smelling someone's nasty ass.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The female Pods are the worst..
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Many smell great and the inmates constantly clean. This is especially true with Hispanic and white gang members. A lot smell like shit and spoiled milk. It varies, just like amongst the population.
View Quote
Buying that many cleaning supplies has to hit them right in their wallet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
My Mom worked in a Prison.

She said that the thugs usually self-regulate themselves. No one wants to live with a slob.

Also, high-ups would do cell to cell tours looking for cleanliness, and give rewards to cell-blocks that were clean. One dirty cell could ruin it. So they would regulate themselves.

The reward was a movie night with popcorn. Or getting to go to eat first.

Dirty thugs would get run out or learn to clean up...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
In my experience county jails smell far worse than prisons.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have never been inside a prison or a jail of any kind but when I read your post I imagined a smell similar to my dogs ass when her anal glands are full. A fishy, disgusting, gagging rotten smell.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
You'd be surprised how clean many of the inmates are. Most keep their cells immaculate.

Some, culture dependent, smell of holy shit!

There is alot if regulating among themselves. Especially the shared cells.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The smell was the absolute worst part of the job IMO .

It smells like a locker room smothered under a air freshener

It's not strong because as said the inmates clean quite a bit , but it is always there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
They aren't allowed any cleaning supplies per se as those chemicals can be thrown in a CO's face. But yes some convicts won't tolerate others being smelly. Ours aren't allowed showers but 3 times a week but they can/do take bird baths from their sink in between showers. They can buy good scented soaps from the commissary like Irish Spring etc as well as deoderants. They can be issued prison soap which has some scent to it. The " Bugs" are housed separately from the general population although they do go to the yard with the Gen Pop. so they don't face the harassment as much.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Imagine the smell of shit, BO and ramen noodle packs all mixed into a Glade plugin air fresher.

I was a state prison CO for a few years a long time ago. As a 21 year old, it was the best, worst job I’ve ever had.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have never been inside a prison or a jail of any kind but when I read your post I imagined a smell similar to my dogs ass when her anal glands are full. A fishy, disgusting, gagging rotten smell.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Most inmates take cell cleanliness very seriously.  Most of their cells were in better shape than my house.

That is until you get scheduled to work the mental health unit....

We had one inmate that would shit wherever he wanted.  If he got the urge to take a dump he would just drop his pants and shit... wouldn't even squat, just shit all over the place, including in his pants, then pull his drawers up and carry on like nothing happened.

Had a woman that would cover every square inch of her cell in shit, including the window.  She was well behaved though and knew that we needed to see that she was ok when we did our rounds so as soon as she would hear us walk out onto the unit she would wet her fingers and wipe a little area of the window clean so we could see inside, sometimes she would even draw us pictures in the window...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For whatever reason the male PODs are the least smelly, the female PODs always stink. They clean every day, but it still stinks. lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
In the good ole days of forced showers, things smelled so much better!

Program dorms (housing units with offenders that have jobs or education) usually smell like spring soap and baby powder.

Idle Units (non-program houses) have a moldy funk.

Segregation units always smell of Shit, Piss, BO, and rotten food. On full moons it has a certain iron like smell/taste in the air when the mental(s) break open battery casing to release the demons that happen to reside in their veins. When this occurs there is usually a strong undertone that stings the eyes and burns the skin (OCV).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
is this a Stabby McStabberson thread?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
HOWS THE FOOD?????? They eat what the prisoners eat unless they are on the watch tower
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
HOWS THE FOOD?????? They eat what the prisoners eat unless they are on the watch tower
View Quote
uh... you bring in your own food... it goes through the x-ray and you slowly die from radiation, but its still a better option than eating prisoner food.

I've only been to one prison where the prison food was actually good, for the most part it's flash frozen, then reheated 3 days later. Think mid-grade dog food with fresh fruit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
sanitation and hygiene is a priority.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Lot of inmates won't put up with a nasty ass cell mate. There's always going to be that smell of a lot of bodies packed into a single building, but it could be so much worse. There's always a couple, though. It's like high school, everyone knows who the nasty fucks are.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
It's pretty clean usually. Inmates spend a lot of time cleaning. And yes, there is always bleach and lysol available. We don't want any focal points of the next pandemic in our institutions.

ETA, they don't get the bottles. They go to the CO and get enough for the mop bucket or whatever. The concentrates are locked up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]
depends on the inmate
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Having said that, I will not willingly take another corrections job. I have extracted all the fun experiences I feel entitled to from that field.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#27]
@BIgDAM

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Open yards are not bad, lock down can reek, showers are regulated. Mental Health and Watch Pods are foul. Go to a cell front and watch an inmate fish out a turd from the toilet, then start munching on it like a candy bar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Having said that, I will not willingly take another corrections job. I have extracted all the fun experiences I feel entitled to from that field.
View Quote
I don't know how people have the patience to do that anyway. I know somebody needs to do it, and not every position is crazy supermax shit, but I would enjoy that.

There was an NCO in my unit that worked at a Federal prison in MA before enlisting. He's got this giant scar across one of his eyebrows. His first day on shift, some inmate broke a chair over his face. Lots of other fun stories out of him too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Interesting question OP

Dorms, Max. cell blocks, and lock-ups ( seg). Have their distinct odors.

IMO Lock up by far is the most dominate odor. To this day, every now and then I'll catch a similar smell while out and about. And, the memories will come flooding in with vengeance.

As a side note... The correct term is. "Correctional Officer"""
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Whole place smells like ass and orange

H
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#32]
When I worked in the housing unit I never noticed it after the first few days.  Since my office has been moved out, when I walk back in the odor is unmistakable and heavy. Its BO, ass, feet, and despair all mixed together.  Oh and K2 smoke from the bathroom.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Not a CO but was involved with a few institution-wide searches. No b.o. but there is an institutional smell that is the same everywhere, like old laundry bags and something I can never place. Lack of AC doesn't help. I like my side of the fence better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I worked in a few jails and prisons and they were all very clean.
I walked through once and one guy was scrubbing the bars.

They sweep, mop, etc and I dont remember any of them smelling.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#35]
You have not lived till you smell the combination of Magic Shave, coco butter, Cashmere Bouquet soap, crap, and bleach coming out of the showers/head.

Back in the 70s it was really bad due to overcrowding but it's all better now. A lot of time is spent by staff making sure the buildings are clean. I suspect they are cleaner than most peep's homes because we tended to over-do it more than a bit.

Slobs in shared living areas don't last long before they are brought-up short either by the convicts or staff.

Self-identified "Muslims" and Hispanics were the cleanest by far. The "white trash" were the most slovenly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Largely they self regulate.  Though there were a few times I had to 'explain'to some jerkwad that it needed to go shower.  Some are cleaning freaks, others keep 3 week old packouts like they appreciate in value (and no the packouts did not have fruit so not making buck).  Admin will use popcorn, or going first to yard, chow, store, whatever as incentive to clean up the dorm.  Its disturbing to watch the idiots try to refuse to wash sheets and blankets when someone in the dorm had the flu of scabies or something, they would hide the bedding so it wouldn't get washed.  Had one argue when I saw them washing clothes in the toilet, I told them I would take JUST their stuff and get it washed and dried by itself (we used industrial washers and dryers so this would have been a huge waste but still.  The idiot just refused and it wasn't worth a use of force to go into the cell and get the stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Nah, I'm not waiting a sentence, I'm a street cop. I can tell you our holding cells can get going pretty good with the smell of feet and ass, but it makes sense that in actual prison they clean all the time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I can tell you that I went from needing Claritin 5-6 days a week, to only when the seasons change once I left that God forsaken place.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Pretty much like a male teenagers room if he isn't made to clean
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@BIgDAM

View Quote
Most of our jail smells ok. It's cleaned 3 time a day.

Now our mental health units can smell like shit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Not a prison... but the first time I walked into a 650 capacity jail, part of the culture shock this suburban boy had was the smell.  
Like a mixture of feet, ass, and cleaning supplies.  It was December and everything was very stale feeling.

It was clean though.  Most of the guys would beg for additional cleaning materials.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#42]
BO, Jack Mack, wet ass.....in various combinations.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most inmates take cell cleanliness very seriously.  Most of their cells were in better shape than my house.

That is until you get scheduled to work the mental health unit....

We had one inmate that would shit wherever he wanted.  If he got the urge to take a dump he would just drop his pants and shit... wouldn't even squat, just shit all over the place, including in his pants, then pull his drawers up and carry on like nothing happened.

Had a woman that would cover every square inch of her cell in shit, including the window.  She was well behaved though and knew that we needed to see that she was ok when we did our rounds so as soon as she would hear us walk out onto the unit she would wet her fingers and wipe a little area of the window clean so we could see inside, sometimes she would even draw us pictures in the window...
View Quote
Yep..."shiter critters" are the same in any prison. We had a particular one that would sculpt little figurines with his shit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Many smell great and the inmates constantly clean. This is especially true with Hispanic and white gang members. A lot smell like shit and spoiled milk. It varies, just like amongst the population.
View Quote
@buckshot_jim

I remember one of the CO’s here said that some inmates used butter as an anal lubricant and there was a buttery smell coming from some of the cells.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@buckshot_jim

I remember one of the CO’s here said that some inmates used butter as an anal lubricant and there was a buttery smell coming from some of the cells.
View Quote
The butter butt boys.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#47]
When it's been said others don't tolerate stink ass inmates, I take it a beat down or first a talk to happens?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Washing all those uniforms
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a guy masturbate through the bars and finish on the catwalk so I would have to walk through it.

This was in a mental health/segregation cell block
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Definitely a unique smell....like others said....regular housing units are pretty clean.....special management units have a shitty stale odor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top