Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2021 11:17:42 AM EDT
Saturday the LGS (hardware store) got in a small quantity of CCI primers in small pistol, small magnum pistol, and small rifle. Purchase limit was one sleeve of 100 primers each per person per day. I purchased the limit on Saturday and I was at the door when they re-opened this morning to buy more. No one else was waiting at the door.

They had sold out of rifle primers but still had the pistol primers. I bought the limit and asked if I could have the empty SPP box as I have a bunch of loose sleeves of them at home. As I'm putting the sleeves in the box and folding it up some guy walks up and predictably asks for small pistol primers and the purchase limit. He's told one but he sees me walking away with what he believes to be a box of a thousand and immediately flies into a rage.

"HOW COME THAT GUY CAN BUY A WHOLE GODDAMN BOX AND I CAN ONLY BUY ONE???!!!"

The gun counter asst. manager didn't even look up when he said, "Because he's not buying a box. He's buying a sleeve with the box it came in."

JFC and this is only the beginning....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
When people get in fights over TP anything else goes.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Folks are in general testy these days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Saturday the LGS (hardware store) got in a small quantity of CCI primers in small pistol, small magnum pistol, and small rifle. Purchase limit was one sleeve of each per person per day. I purchased the limit on Saturday and I was at the door when they re-opened this morning to buy more. No one else was waiting at the door.

They had sold out of rifle primers but still had the pistol primers. I bought the limit and asked if I could have the empty SPP box as I have a bunch of loose sleeves of them at home. As I'm putting the sleeves in the box and folding it up some guy walks up and predictably asks for small pistol primers and the purchase limit. He's told one but he sees me walking away with what he believes to be a box of a thousand and immediately flies into a rage.

The gun counter asst. manager didn't even look up when he said, "Because he's not buying a box. He's buying a sleeve with the box it came in."

View Quote

How much are they charging for primers?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
How much did they rape you for a sleeve?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

TRUTH!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
what's their name here?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea, its really something to see the way people act during shortages. People are pretty calm in my AO so far, but its mostly older people when I am there getting their re-loading gear. Good reminder to keep quite about what you have and always have extra.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like a pretty valid question to me...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]
If you thought the store was fucking you, would you not complain?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
And that gentleman is why I quit my part time job at a large gun store last week. Been there for about five years. Customers who have stood outside 30-45 minutes in the cold just to get in and then have to wait another 30-45 minutes to get to a sales rep and then being delayed by the feds after paying top $ for very limited items aren't generally in a good mood to deal with. Customers are understandably in a bad mood, managers short tempered, and sales guys pushed to their limits.  Retail store ammo will be almost nonexistent in 30-90 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Some folks are just too high strung.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda this.

The guy certainly jumped to conclusions, but it isn’t as if he didn’t have anything to jump from.

I’d be pissed if a store I frequented was imposing limits on me but not others.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
It's because gun shops are notorious for looking after their buddies while shitting on the general public and new shoppers.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some folks are just too high strung.
View Quote

Fear and insecurity tends to make people that way,
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's because gun shops are notorious for looking after their buddies while shitting on the general public and new shoppers.

View Quote

Think about it. Long time customers who have been a supporter of the business for years versus somebody who had never been in the store except maybe to do a FFL transfer and complain about prices?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait till shit really hits the fan!!  You haven't seen anything yet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Saturday the LGS (hardware store) got in a small quantity of CCI primers in small pistol, small magnum pistol, and small rifle. Purchase limit was one sleeve of each per person per day. I purchased the limit on Saturday and I was at the door when they re-opened this morning to buy more. No one else was waiting at the door.

View Quote

OMG, that’s crazy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I understand why he was pissed. People will fight over rescources. He didnt know what you were getting. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

$3.99

Store has not had primers in stock since last March, I believe. At that time they were $2.99/sleeve.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And that gentleman is why I quit my part time job at a large gun store last week. Been there for about five years. Customers who have stood outside 30-45 minutes in the cold just to get in and then have to wait another 30-45 minutes to get to a sales rep and then being delayed by the feds after paying top $ for very limited items aren't generally in a good mood to deal with. Customers are understandably in a bad mood, managers short tempered, and sales guys pushed to their limits.  Retail store ammo will be almost nonexistent in 30-90 days.
View Quote

@axl

It never gets cold in Alabama.

Smart move leaving a toxic environment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Think about it. Long time customers who have been a supporter of the business for years versus somebody who had never been in the store except maybe to do a FFL transfer and complain about prices?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  If you’re a regular shopper, the FFL takes care of you.  Sadly, my favorite FFL closed 12/31/20 (retired), though they had some inventory left that they let me look through.

My second favorite FFL has metastatic cancer and is selling his shop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@axl

It never gets cold in Alabama.

Smart move leaving a toxic environment.
View Quote

Good store - great people - just a very bad set of circumstances to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

$3.99

Store has not had primers in stock since last March, I believe. At that time they were $2.99/sleeve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3.99

I'm confused, they sell them by the sleeve normally? That's frickin' weird.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I would have inquired as well, but in a kindly manner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3.99

Lots of places price by the 100 here, many reloaders make a box of cartridges for hunting season and are satisfied.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]
What's "frickin' weird" about it? Palmetto State Armory's retail stores sold primers by the sleeve as did Sportsman's Warehouse.

Up until Saturday the store had a 1K primers per person per day limit even during the salad days. Not a huge deal since they had tons of them to sell...until they didn't.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea, its really something to see the way people act during shortages. People are pretty calm in my AO so far, but its mostly older people when I am there getting their re-loading gear. Good reminder to keep quite about what you have and always have extra.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lots of places price by the 100 here, many reloaders make a box of cartridges for hunting season and are satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3.99

I remember years ago just going in and getting 100 primers and 100 projectiles and the guys looking at me like I was crazy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you get the guys ar15.com screen name?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need to - we'll be able to find his thread soon.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll again be at the entrance when they open Tuesday to attempt to buy a sleeve of primers. If they sell out today no big deal. I'm in that hardware store 5-6 time a week as its part of the dog's daily constitutional. We go for a morning walk and she goes in there and gets fed dog cookies. The dog's practically an employee.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Last time I bought 100 primers I was a poor.   I hope I never have to do that again.

Santa looks pissed at the primer situation too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 Retail store ammo will be almost nonexistent in 30-90 days.
View Quote

It's existent now?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's time to heal and come together because of unity
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Reloaders are funny.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Similar thing happened to me at Cabelas 2 weeks ago

There was some 380 on the shelf.  Around 20 boxes. A guy was there with his wife. 5 box limit. He grabbed 10 boxes. 5 for him 5 for his wife.  I was waiting for him to move so i could get my 5 boxes
He called out for his buddy and his wife to get the rest.
I stepped in and grabbed the last 10 boxes.  I handed 5 to another guy behind me.
The first guy got pissed saying that was his ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#38]
y'all still go where there are "people"...

?
fail
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Similar thing happened to me at Cabelas 2 weeks ago

There was some 380 on the shelf.  Around 20 boxes. A guy was there with his wife. 5 box limit. He grabbed 10 boxes. 5 for him 5 for his wife.  I was waiting for him to move so i could get my 5 boxes
He called out for his buddy and his wife to get the rest.
I stepped in and grabbed the last 10 boxes.  I handed 5 to another guy behind me.
The first guy got pissed saying that was his ammunition.
View Quote

Equally amusing are these couples who come in the store with their children (often infants) and attempt to manipulate the "1 box/person per day" by, well, you know.

The people who work in the gun dept. at my local hardware store generally have the patience of Job and I give them credit esp. these days. Not only must they deal with assholes face-to-face the phone's also ringing off the hook.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

How is a store selling whatever they want to whoever they want somehow fucking you?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3.99

I have been reloading since the 80’s.   Every gunshop I have ever been in sold by the 100, 1000, or case.  Well except Gander, they would sell you the 100 packs but already discarded the 1000 overbox.  Idjits.  

When I first started shooting and reloading I did big game and varmint rifle loads.  I bought a couple packs at a time.....for $0.79 ea iirc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I was at local gun shop last week. Tray (Sleeve?) of 100 primers: $20. Yes, Twenty Dollars.

They apologized to me when I was told the price (I had two in hand), and said they had bought a bunch of primers on Gunbroker. I shook my head, and put them back on the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

My LGS could give a shit less about long time loyal customers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Reloaders are funny.
View Quote

Funny? Funny how? How the fuck am I funny? What, I'm a clown? I make you laugh? I amuse you?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You think that's weird, hearing something being called a primer sleeve and it's not the 5 boxes that makes a "sleeve", that's what's got me goofed....    at least in these neck of the woods, the 5 box "case" is referred to as the sleeve...  nobody had a name for the little 100rd trays cause no one bought them that small since 1978.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's existent now?
View Quote

Compared to what its going to be? Yes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#48]
People suck, what's new
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait till there’s purchase limits for food
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

not like a little child, no.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top