Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 9:09:47 AM EDT
I completed all my SCUBA requirements except the open water dives a few years ago. I have to do it all over again since it been so long.

I’m pretty much blind without my glasses which really made SCUBA suck. Before I get started again (prob next spring) I want to order a prescription mask. I’d prefer one with lenses and not an insert.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably read up over at ScubaBoard.  My wife had the inserts that they glue to the inside of the mask before she had eye surgery.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Several years ago, one of my cousins who was collecting Scuba Certs had a pair of RX Goggles.
I am in the same position as you, folks look like thumbprints without rx lenses...

Seems like 5 or 6 years ago, I looked into them and for me, they were prohibitively expensive.
I mean they were just for fun for me, I was just swimming down as deep as I could with no air or any equipment, no scuba.

Seems like the ones with inserts would fog up a lot, just like my Paintball goggles with RX inserts...  Useless...
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Your dive shop should be able to point you in the right direction. You can get lenses made for your mask if it has two lenses, that fit right in, no glue in crap, real lenses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have stigmatism you will have send them off to a specialty shop to have them made.  Expensive about $250-300 (just for the lenses)  Upside is you can have these put on any SCUBA mask.  There is a place in cali that does it and a good job at that...l will update with info if I can recall name.

Otherwise, there are several masks out there that offer replacement lenses.

If you don't have stigmatism, you can use the replaceable lense variety, I would start with trying on the different masks for fit first.  Then, have the lenses replaced.   Have the shop do it.  It's a pita.  This would be made easier by going to a shop to figure fitment out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I’ll visit local shops and see what they say. I just didn’t want to get BSd into a brand because it’s what they happen to sell.

I’d used clip in inserts in gas masks but those were pretty flimsy and I’d really be screwed if they came loose during a dive. I figure buy once cry one and I can always use them for snorkeling if I never get deep into scuba
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Daughter uses contacts while diving.  Wife uses prescription lenses mask. Most of the name brand two lens masks can be fitted with corrective lenses. Talk to your dive shop. Last time, it ran about 200 for both lenses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother has dove with contacts for 40 years
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Daughter uses contacts while diving.  Wife uses prescription lenses mask. Most of the name brand two lens masks can be fitted with corrective lenses. Talk to your dive shop. Last time, it ran about 200 for both lenses.
View Quote

I priced them out last time I took the course and was already planning on $300 and it looks like some go up to $400.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold many Oceanics at $40 per lens + mask. $170ish total.

You can get a similar model pretty inexpensive for $70 here.  If you loose it, meh.

Again, if someone has astigmatism, these won't work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By snaggletooth1925:
I completed all my SCUBA requirements except the open water dives a few years ago. I have to do it all over again since it been so long.

I’m pretty much blind without my glasses which really made SCUBA suck. Before I get started again (prob next spring) I want to order a prescription mask. I’d prefer one with lenses and not an insert.
View Quote

You could wear contacts- unless you're not able to obviously.

The problem with wearing contacts is if when your mask floods, you could potentially lose one (happened to one of my long-time dive buddies).

Like others have said, go to a reputable shop that advertises prescription lenses or alternatively, your optometrist.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife used https://seethesearx.com/  They are local to us, but they also work closely with some LDS. Contact them and they will point you in the best direction.  Their customer service was first class when we dealt with them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bap:

I sold many Oceanics at $40 per lens + mask. $170ish total.

You can get a similar model pretty inexpensive for $70 here.  If you loose it, meh.

Again, if someone has astigmatism, these won't work.
View Quote

Thanks! For $70 I can’t go wrong. I can use them for class, see what I like/don’t like for when I get a really good pair. And keep those as a spare/backup
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I did check out the recommended lenses and noticed some have only a Sphere selection however others have cylinder and axis as well. Any suggestions on if these make a huge difference? From $70 to $215?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My local dive shop sold me a mask from SeaVision https://www.seavisionusa.com/ can't say I've had any complaints. Like with most dive masks it would be helpful if your local dive shop has a few styles to try on and see which fit your face better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jake-The-Snake] [#15]
I've used Prescriptiondivemasks.com many times, and have been really happy with them.

Find a mask that fits you, and they make lenses of any script, that fit your mask, and glue them in.

I had try cheaters that I glued in myself, only to have them come loose, but these never come loose, and you cant tell they are in there without looking close
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top