Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 11:46:56 AM EDT
I feel like I have most of what I need to survive for 7 months.
I live in the a rural area about 45 mins outside of Orlando on 5 aker “farm”. Now I question how much practical knowledge I have. What books do I need? Looking for general homesteading and medical. Looking at the Firefox series, please recommend.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Howdy neighbor - I'm just south of Ocala.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Learn to raid like Genghis Khan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
45 minutes out fo Orlando Fl.  The population will decend upon your homestead and take everything. And many of them will be armed as good as you are.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

My friends always say they're coming to my house when the apocalypse starts.

I tell them straight out they better be willing to take from others or I will shoot them on the spot.

Shuts 99% of them up instantly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a great book called "Back to Basics " with tons of useful info.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Captain obvious says I know that I could survive 6 months or so as long as I could kill anyone trying to kill me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Look for "Fox Fire" books at libraries, yard sales, on-line
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My normal response when some one says they are coming to me, is what do you offer besides mouths to feed.

One guy said his wife, my response was I dont need you for that, so there is one less mouth to feed. Shut him right up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Learn from the Silent Generation.  Best prepared people I've ever had the privilege of knowing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i know we country boys will survive just fine as long as we stay in the country and the city boys would do well to stay in their shithole city
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard good things about this book, but it's out of print and people are asking up to $400 on Amazon.

Maybe look for a comprehensive PDF?

Ditch Medicine: Advanced Field Procedures For Emergencies

Coffee, Hugh

Also "where there is no dentist"

This one seems a little easier to find.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0942364058/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_NfBbGbEFHTGAR
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll be able to have only what you can carry. Any homestead will be a target. Set your home as a trap to buy yourself some time to escape. Be prepared to live in a culvert.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

@PHANTOM309X

Oh, you too? I'm about 30-45 mins SW of Ocala.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Since you live out buy me, read "Going Home" and the rest of the series.  It is a survival EOTW series that takes place right in our neck of the woods.  Goes through all the hardships particular to our area and how this guy chooses to face them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You'll be able to have only what you can carry. Any homestead will be a target. Set your home as a trap to buy yourself some time to escape. Be prepared to live in a culvert.
View Quote

A culvert...?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in the a rural area about 45 mins outside of Orlando on 5 aker “farm”. Now I question how much practical knowledge I have. What books do I need? Looking for general homesteading and medical. Looking at the Firefox series, please recommend.
View Quote

Firefox is a great set- expensive though
Where there is no dentist, and Where there is no doctor would be recommended.
A guide to canning, freezing, curing and smoking meat, fish & game by Wilbur Eastman jr.
Garden Problem Solver- Vegetables, Fruits and Herbs by Jeff Ball
Ball canning book- (learning to can your own food is a must for homesteading)
A garden planner- Wife likes this one- https://www.amazon.com/SEED-PANTRY-Planner-PRESERVE-Years/dp/1631951319/ref=sr_1_1?crid=GYODT3TQZ7WZ&dchild=1&keywords=seed+to+pantry+planner&qid=1610985934&s=books&sprefix=seed+to+panty%2Cstripbooks%2C212&sr=1-1#reader_1631951319

Any Herbal remedy book- learn how to make your own meds now.
Any books about fixing small engines, and things around the house, building animal structures, etc
Any sewing and mending books

The channel below is one I have found helpful.

OUR 30+ HOMESTEADING BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS (FOR THE NOVICE OR PRO)

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, how many akers ya got?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to have this big book I got from my wife's grandma.  I can't for the life of me remember the title.  It was falling apart at the seams.  But this thing was a phenomenal source of "homesteading" information.  It was about the size of a road atlas but over 1" thick.  It had everything from how to build a drain field to cisterns to wiring and everything in between, complete with hand illustrations.  I cannot find it since the last time we moved.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
EBay used books.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
This was a good one posted years ago in the survival forum.

From EPA website

"You can use granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water.
Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately z ounce) for each two gallons of water, or 5 milliliters (approximately 7 grams) per 7.5 liters of water.

The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter, since the calcium hypochlorite has available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight.

To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water or (approximately ? liter to 50 liters of water) to be disinfected.

To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the disinfected water by pouring it back and forth from one clean container to another."

I have read that "high-test calcium hypochlorite" means 78%.

I figured that out of the big three (food/water/shelter) this was the one thing that would probably do the most good for the SF community.

REMEMBER - when using liquid bleach to purify water, the formulas all are counting on bleach to be about 5-7% strength...which after 6 months of shelf storage is no longer a sure thing with liquid bleach. Storing liquid bleach long term isn't effective, as it will loose its effectiveness after 3-6 months link

Storing granular calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) is cheap and easy and the shelf life is much longer.

30 bucks of the right sort of pool shock would probably purify a lifetimes worth of drinking water for several people in ideal conditions. I first read about this on SF and didn't figure this out all on my own but I did do the research with help from SF and refined things to this point:

Here is what I found: http://www.epa.gov/safewater/faq/emerg.html

Pay attention to the section on granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water. Read the whole thing as it paints a big picture to understand but I really liked the idea of being able to treat a lot of water, for just a couple bucks.

Granular calcium hypochlorite is available from Leslie's pool supply in 73% strength with a minimum average yield of 70% chlorine - perfect for what we need. (see pic for example of product) Its sold as common everyday Pool Shock.

Read the label of the pool shock closely! All you want to use for this is high concentration of Granular Calcium Hypochlorite and nothing else. Be careful to avoid the multi-function pool shocks that have chemicals like algicides and other 'multi function 4-in-1' products. All you want is Calcium Hypochlorite at 65% or stronger. Don't worry about the ingredients listed as 'other' those are the inert parts to keep the concentrations down to where they want them. So long as no other chemical is specifically listed then its OK.

Materials needed (maybe 10 bucks worth of stuff):
1 bag of Leslie's 73% Calcium Hypochlorite Pool Shock ($4)
a couple 5 gallon buckets ($0 - $5 depending on how you get them)
a funnel ($1)
a couple empty bleach containers ($0 save them as you use them normally)

Step 1: Make bleach
1 heaping teaspoon of pool shock makes 2 gallons of bleach
- place 2 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket
- place 1 heaping *teaspoon* of pool shock into bucket
- stir into solution thoroughly
- place funnel into empty 1 gallon bleach container
- pour 1 gallon out of bucket into bleach container
- repeat for other bleach container

Now you have made two gallons of normal household bleach that you can use for anything you would normally use bleach for like cleaning, disinfecting etc.

Step 2: Use bleach to disinfect water
- 2.5 *tablespoons* of bleach solution goes into 1 gallon of water for disinfecting
- stir into solution and wait 30 mins
- sample taste the disinfected water, if it tastes too strong of chlorine then aerate the water by simply pouring 1 gallon from one container into another a couple times and this will help remove the objectionable taste, if any.

Leslies Pool Shock
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
You can live for years on Kudzu and Catfish
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in Belleview
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#24]
The Lost Ways.

Got a copy last Christmas and it is a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea those guys won't last long in
Rural or republican areas. Maybe not even one house
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I live in the a rural area about 45 mins outside of Orlando on 5 aker "farm". Now I question how much practical knowledge I have. What books do I need? Looking for general homesteading and medical. Looking at the Firefox series, please recommend.
View Quote
You'd be well advised to rustle up a good spelling primer. Find one that targets, oh let's say, fourth grade and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I know that this country is full of loot boxes posing as people currently
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

My friends always say they're coming to my house when the apocalypse starts.

I tell them straight out they better be willing to take from others or I will shoot them on the spot.

Shuts 99% of them up instantly.
View Quote
I tell them that they won't make it pass the front gate, some of them were not amused. But on a serious note, I have a seen a photo of a headshot from a 7.62NATO round from a Brit L1A1 during the Malay insurrection of 1957, and it just left a mass of hair on the poor woman.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yea those guys won't last long in
Rural or republican areas. Maybe not even one house
View Quote

I live in a Republican area.  

Unfortunately we have Liberal Scum too.  I hope they're well stocked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I'm prepared to sacrifice the house and live in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Tested some gear the other day... Wife thinks I'm crazy but would rather make sure it went ok while I was in control of the circumstances.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a subscription for a while. Their Anthologies are good with out subscribing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top