Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2021 12:32:57 PM EDT
This is not the 'how do I keep my old lady from slamming her van into the bike rack thread'

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Garage-parking-device-so-wife-doesn-t-drive-into-wall-or-close-door-on-bumper-/5-2416818/

In this thread how would you precision park in a very tight garage without the help of others. And I mean like fold the mirrors in, scrape the door handles on both sides, and climb out the passenger window tight.  Front to back there's like 2 yards to spare, no problems.  If you're off by an inch left or right it costs a door handle, badge and marker light lens on one side.

* you have to actively steer backing out  (with no mirrors, see above) because one tire usually goes down.
** "fix the tire" you say, well I can't get the thing out of the garage alone, return to step one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd get a bigger garage or a smaller car

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in, using the two wing mirrors for guidance.  Once you get to the point where the wing mirrors have to be folded in, you fold them in and finish backing in the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d find somewhere else to park.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in, using the two wing mirrors for guidance.  Once you get to the point where the wing mirrors have to be folded in, you fold them in and finish backing in the rest of the way.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
lazor tripwires.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, pulling in forward to park (be it parking spaces or garages) is for losers who are bad drivers to begin with. Also willing to bet most of those people have never driven anything bigger than an average car for any period of time.

Even driving an average 1/2 ton pickup truck will teach you that it’s far easier to park in smaller spaces if you back in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread needs MSPaint, pics, and some Match.com action so OP can find a man to help him out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
When you install the devices for the safety beam for the door opener, don't install it just above the ground, like they tell you.  Install it at the same height as the rear bumper.  That way the door won't try to close until she's in far enough.  Bonus points - one of the two beam devices has an indicator that comes on when the beam is clear.  Install that one on the side where she can see it in the mirror.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Easy. Park outside.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you install the devices for the safety beam for the door opener, don't install it just above the ground, like they tell you.  Install it at the same height as the rear bumper.  That way the door won't try to close until she's in far enough.  Bonus points - one of the two beam devices has an indicator that comes on when the beam is clear.  Install that one on the side where she can see it in the mirror.
View Quote

I’d be surprised if whatever linen closet OP is trying to park in has a garage door opener.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Easy. Park outside.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Details update; this is an antique grain truck, 1.5-2? ton.  There isn't man woman or beast in a 10 mile radius.  Only a driver side mirror and it is a little disc.  If I back it in (if that's even possible) then the solar battery maintainer is in the dark if scrappers don't steal the battery outright, and I'd have to crawl under it to get to the leaky tires, which I could move to the other side I guess.

I was hoping someone would have an inspired idea of mounting a knockoff eotech on a magnetic dial indicator base or something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You go slow and pay attention, thats how. My grandfathers garage is fairly tight, and in the 20 years of owning trucks he has had to replace2, maybe 3, mirrors. It happens. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...In this thread how would you precision park in a very tight garage without the help of others. And I mean like fold the mirrors in, scrape the door handles on both sides, and climb out the passenger window tight.  Front to back there's like 2 yards to spare, no problems.  If you're off by an inch left or right it costs a door handle, badge and marker light lens on one side.

* you have to actively steer backing out  (with no mirrors, see above) because one tire usually goes down.
** "fix the tire" you say, well I can't get the thing out of the garage alone, return to step one.
View Quote

but why?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If it's that tight just park outside.  It's not worth the inevitable scratches /scrapes you are going to no doubt incur.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
4pcs full length 2” angle iron
Cut off saw
Hilti

Go visit your local drive through car wash.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of the safety device?  I’d rather save a person than a bumper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Install 2 mirrors on front of whatever is in front of vehicle . Use them to see what your doing .  oh well   beat again
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’d find somewhere else to park.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Setup WiFi cameras in the garage, and use those while parking or pulling out.  Even baby monitors can display four cameras at a time on a monitor.

Or use lasers, combined with a raspberry pi, some programming, and different sounds to help?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife had a car her work provided.  We also had a refrigerator in the garage.  Both lost a door when she tried to back out.  That was the end of that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of the safety device?  I’d rather save a person than a bumper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see you get under a knee-height sensor.  Also, set up the door correctly, and it won't squash anything.  They go back up if they hit anything, which is far more important than the sensor.

ETA:  It actually makes it more safe.  Have you ever run through the door as it closes, stepping over the sensor?  It was common practice for me as a kid.  Try that with it at bumper height.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Or just put big traffic mirrors in the garage.  The type that they put at blind corners on the street.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there was another person around they could help guide me in or out. and if there was hard wired electricity I could have a plug in trickle charger and an air compressor.

This is the mad max 1979 wasteland, not the new development between rei and panera
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Or just put big traffic mirrors in the garage.  The type that they put at blind corners on the street.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
How are you getting out of the vehicle if there is only 1 inch clearance on the sides?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If there was another person around they could help guide me in or out. and if there was hard wired electricity I could have a plug in trickle charger and an air compressor.

This is the mad max 1979 wasteland, not the new development between rei and panera
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some convex mirrors, and put them up in the corners of the garage, so you can look straight down between the car and the walls.

ETA: beat
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can get air compressors that plug into your cigarette lighter. You can also buy air tanks, fill them up from a compressor and take them wherever you need them.

https://www.amazon.com/portable-air-tank/s?k=portable+air+tank

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+portable+air+compressor&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You can get air compressors that plug into your cigarette lighter. You can also buy air tanks, fill them up from a compressor and take them wherever you need them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And solar powered trickle chargers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How are you getting out of the vehicle if there is only 1 inch clearance on the sides?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Build a huge funnel
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#32]
1) Disassemble the garage
2) Move truck into place
3) Reassemble garage

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#33]
1. Buy portable tire inflation system
2. Phone an amicable biological being to supervise vehicle extraction
3. Make requisite repairs to horseless carriage to allow removal of the offending beast from its sarcophagus
4. Extract vroom-vroom
5. Apply a liberal dose of fire to the tiny automotive prison
6. Build larger and more suitable storage facility replete with at least a modicum of modern amenities
7. Fill new storage palace with shit and park outside
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Based on what you're saying about the locale, I'd add 3-5' to one side of the garage and nail up some barn tin.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1) Disassemble the garage
2) Move truck into place
3) Reassemble garage

You're welcome.
View Quote

Ha yes I have examples of that too, or the likewise classic; disassemble truck, move into garage and reassemble.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Use some yellow Duct Tape on the floor parallel to car to spot Drivers side rear wheel from the side mirror. If you have Back Up Camera, a piece of tape on the floor behind will tell you when to stop and is repeatable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
If you don't like tennis balls, soft balls and whiffle balls work just as good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Also, pulling in forward to park (be it parking spaces or garages) is for losers who are bad drivers to begin with. Also willing to bet most of those people have never driven anything bigger than an average car for any period of time.

Even driving an average 1/2 ton pickup truck will teach you that it’s far easier to park in smaller spaces if you back in.
View Quote

lol canada
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lol canada
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol canada

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.

Backing into spots is reserved for people who drive Chrysler 300s with fake Rolls Royce grills.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like you arent using enough Tennis Balls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I want to know.

Tear the drywall off the inside of the garage. That will get you another inch and a half to work with.

The bottom line is though, if you can't get the thing in with precision driving without help, a "device" that helps won't get the klutz in the door any better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol.

Backing into spots is reserved for people who drive Chrysler 300s with fake Rolls Royce grills.
View Quote

It is literally a fact that you can back into a tighter spot than if you try pulling in forward. Having the ability to steer the wheels at the rear of the vehicle (with respect to the direction of travel).

Why do you think basically every push cart has the swivel/steer wheels mounted at the back?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Why are you wanting to park in a shipping container?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#45]
How about installing rails like they have at the car washes?  A smaller cut down version that would guide the vehicle into the same position every time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It is literally a fact that you can back into a tighter spot than if you try pulling in forward. Having the ability to steer the wheels at the rear of the vehicle (with respect to the direction of travel).

Why do you think basically every push cart has the swivel/steer wheels mounted at the back?
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/b7ae9b36-a03d-42cf-8ce7-a0b29ee00dd9/svn/rubbermaid-commercial-products-moving-carts-rcp443600bk-64_1000.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/b7ae9b36-a03d-42cf-8ce7-a0b29ee00dd9/svn/rubbermaid-commercial-products-moving-carts-rcp443600bk-64_1000.jpg

Anyone who has ever owned a pickup knows this
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Omron or enforcer safety beam, wire relay to alarm or flashing light. Easy
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#49]

If someone is such a poor driver that they can’t hit a forward/back target consistently, they are unlikely to be consistent enough side to side to hit that thing (especially with more than 1 wheel at a time).

Backup camera have been mandated for years by now, how fucking hard is it to back in properly?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i'd get a bigger garage or a smaller car

View Quote

This or just park outside.

If it's that tight I'm not interested in making every day a nail biting potential disaster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top