Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2020 9:53:20 PM EDT
Have we done this ? It has 2 fatalities just be aware.

Powered Parachuting Double Fatality
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Little windy for flying, no?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That definitely ain't the way I want exit my existence.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
RIP.  Holy cow that was brutal, looked way too windy for sure.
Gotta wonder why they were up in that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Too windy to fly
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Those flags made it clear that there was way too much wind for a powered parachute.

Depending on air to hold your wing to it's proper shape, means that you want air that isn't moving around too much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Downwind turn
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We had one crash out here at my airport last year. Hit harder than that and both guys walked away. One had a broken back but he survived.

Stalled the wing and dropped like a sack of potatoes from about 300’.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupid is as stupid does . Flying that thing in that wind was Stupid !
Sucks that somebody was with him .
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That definitely ain't the way I want exit my existence.
View Quote
Amen
And exactly why I don't participate in the various forms of light sport aviation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Amen
And exactly why I don't participate in the various forms of light sport aviation.
View Quote
This.  Don't mess with LSA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amen
LSA can be safe, but the person flying it has to understand the limitations of the machine and not do stupid stuff.

I've got a coworker that has one of the backpack powered parachutes, and he has been very cautious about learning to fly it (years ago, he owned a part 103 ultralight plane, and flew it for a while without any mishaps).  I watched some of the youtube channels he told me about, and everything I saw that mentioned wind, said that you don't fly powered parachutes in anything stronger than light wind.  The low max speed and non-rigid wing make it stupid to fly them when flags are showing as much wind as the ones in that video were showing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top