Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 9:56:42 PM EDT
I've been researching poultry brines on the internet and the salt and sugar quantities are all over the place. I'm wanting to brine a few whole chickens overnight but I don't want to over do the salt. So what works for you guys that do this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for help making hate chicken at home...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually use 1 cup kosher salt per gallon of water. Think it's suppose to be about 5-6%. Never had any issues. These days I basically just dry brine everything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Pop's brine

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp Cure #1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)   If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of Cure #1 is about 1 ounce.  The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces).  You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a cup per gallon as well. It wont be to salty. Just rinse the chicken then oat it dry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Taste the brine. It should be sweet and salty but not too much of either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I made 3 quarts of brine using 3/4 cup each of sea salt and sugar. I added some bay leaves, about 1/2 tsp each of marjoram, sage, coriander, cracked black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
I put a whole chicken in each of two gallon size freezer bags and filled the rest of the bags with as much brine as they would hold. Put bags on a large pot to contain any potential leakage & put pot in the fridge. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.

Edited to add:
The chicken turned out well. It was very moist and tender but I think I can get buy with less salt. Next time I'll go with 1/2 cup per gallon. The sugar was just right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
1 cup of Kosher or sea salt (no iodine) per gallon
I do an apple cider brine using cheap juice or concentrate, 1 pint molasses, 1 cup brown sugar, whole bay leaves, whole blk pepper, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and whole cloves. Now you can heat this all up, it will help bring all the flavors out if you do, or just mix it up and go. I do both depending on my schedule.

Some ask why the molasses, well it gives a nice flavor, plus it will help brown the skin some. It doesn't darken the meat just the skin.

I will normally do 6 or more at a time since I have a big smoker. I dump it all in a 5 gallon bucket 2-3 gallons of brine and fill it with chickens using a weight to keep them under. Let this go for 12-24 hours. I will normally go 24 for better flavor but really only 6-8 for the brine to take hold. I will remove them, tuck the wings, truss the legs through the fat, allow them to drain 30 minutes or so and put them on the smoker.  

Normally when I smoked like this it was in the winter/fall when temps were pretty cool. I partially thawed my chicken too. I opened the cavity and removed the gizzards bag/neck and while they were still stiff I put them down into the brine. I just covered the bucket and left it in the garage. It would still be cold the next day as the salt help keep the temps low.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I use nowhere near that much salt.  Not even 1/4 cup per gallon.  I tend to use soy sauce too, but really not enough to approach that salt level.  I also add a bit of ACV or white vinegar.

Last weekend I brined chicken in ginger ale with shredded ginger, garlic powder, and soy sauce. 48 hours.  I smoked some, and air fried some.  It was very good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
@ElrodCod

OP, THIS is what you're looking for. NO sugar, and not too much salt.

Stick to the brining times in the recipe. It's all I use anymore. And no need for overnight brine.

https://lousmostexcellent.blogspot.com/2009/04/lous-most-excellent-chicken-brine.html

"Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lou's Most Excellent Chicken Brine

Use this brine for your chicken prior to cooking, unless the chicken is to be used in a sauced based dish. The meat stays tender and moist while the addition of the veggies and herbs enhances the flavor of chicken so it’s not “just chicken.” This recipe makes enough brine for a whole roasting chicken. If just doing a few parts you can easily halve it.

Chicken brined like this tastes great coming off the grill, especially if you’ve thrown some hickory into the fire.

Many brines call for the addition of sugar, the theory being the sugar helps crisp the skin. I say that’s bullshit and hence no sugar."

More at the link.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I use equal parts apple juice and chicken broth,  then add a bbq rub, disolve it and add chicken whole or parts for a couple hours to overnight refrigerate, remove and coat with rub of your choice.  Everything has salt in it so no need to add anymore.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Equal parts salt and sugar, then a correct ratio of h2o
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
1 cup of water

1 heaping tablespoon of salt and sugar (I usually use raw cane sugar but white works fine)

Juice of 3 lemons, zest of 1

As much garlic as you think you need, then double it(6-12 cloves depending on size, sliced. Leave pieces fairly large).

1 cup of diced green onions.

Herbage as you desire. I usually go one of two routes, cilantro (lime can be added to the mix if you go for cilantro) or a combination of basil, thyme, parsley, and oregano. roughly 1/2 cup total to your liking.

Soak chicken in the mix 2 to 4 hours mixing at least once per half hour. Do not rinse after removing from brine.

Make sure you pick off pieces of garlic, it will burn on grill or under broiler.

Good stuff. One of the few recipes I regularly follow. Works well with pork chops too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 cup of water

1 heaping tablespoon of salt and sugar (I usually use raw cane sugar but white works fine)

As much garlic as you think you need, then double it(6-12 cloves depending on size, sliced. Leave pieces fairly large).

Herbage as you desire. I usually go one of two routes, cilantro (lime can be added to the mix if you go for cilantro) or a combination of basil, thyme, parsley, and oregano. roughly 1/2 cup total to your liking.

Soak chicken in the mix 2 to 4 hours mixing at least once per half hour. Do not rinse after removing from brine.

Make sure you pick off pieces of garlic, it will burn on grill or under broiler.

Good stuff. One of the few recipes I regularly follow. Works well with pork chops too.
View Quote

This sounds really good.  Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 cup of water

View Quote

1 cup of water seems a little on the low side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#15]
It scales up. Used a double recipe on almost 2 whole cut up birds. 4 wings, 4 leg quarters, 2 breast. If you squeeze out all the air, it goes farther than you would think
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#16]
5 gallon bucket of water
1 box of Morton salt
1 c whole black pepper
1 bunch of thyme
1 bunch sage
1 c dry bay leaf

Take 1 gallon of water bring it to a boil add your salt and dissolve. Add the rest of ingredients and let sit. It should look like a nice iced tea.

Strain into 5 gallon bucket. Add 3 gallons of cold water and 1 gallon of ice and your good to go.

This brine is what I used at my restaurant for chicken breast and it’s a short brine so chicken breast would take 2 hrs.
Whole chickens you can go over night

We would then season lightly with salt and pepper and roast.

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top