Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/23/2020 10:53:18 PM EDT
We are looking for a new puppy.  We have always adopted rescues but Swiss Mountain Dogs are non-existent.  We put out feelers to several breeders,  one came back with a trained 14 month old female runt.  Any health or behavioral issues with runts,  they think she will only get to 80-85 lbs vs 110-130?  She seems like exactly what we are looking for, we have 2 girls and have been waiting for them to grow a little to better handle a large breed.  The waiting lists for GSMDs are pretty long,  it worries me no one has scooped her up.  Is she an asshole, an Eeyore or have a bad case of Napoleon complex? We would have to click and it seems a 14 month old will be easier to judge temperament vs a puppy.  I see the red flags, would that deter you from even doing a visit?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What could it hurt to go see her? Maybe people dont want the runt. I'd prefer it
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had two runts and they were beyond awesome...both females
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
This dog deserves a loving home just as much as any other dog.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an adult dog. With training. Go meet the dog!!!!!

With rescues being an industry these days and pushing a lot of bad "product" you are much better off with a pedigree'd dog that comes from a line of known temperament. Make sure the sire and dam are clear of hip and elbow displasia and any eye problems and that the breeder has certifications for same. Meet the sire and dam if possible. If the breeder is a member of the GSMD Club of America that's also a good sign. Avoid breeders with a lot of pup's on the ground, that's a sure sign of a puppy mill (unlikely in such a rare breed).
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't see anything wrong with a runt.   Many of what people think are flaws (runt, not the "right" color) are just things that nature does, and there is nothing wrong with the animal.  

I had a pure bred, papered and registered Border Collie that was considered defective because he was piebald (all white face).  He grew to be a muscular 74 pounds, and everyone thought he was a mixed breed, but he was just a giant pure bred border collie.  As I didn't want him for herding, his size wasn't an issue.  If I wanted a dog to do herding, the large size would have been a detriment.  But Buster was just my friend for 14.5 years, and was the most wonderful dog anyone could imagine.  He passed on about 6 years ago, and I still miss him, even though he was a piebald giant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Go see the dog. Chances are she's fine, just too small for the "breed standard."  If you aren't interested in showing/breeding her, what's the issue?

Be aware that GSMDs have a relatively short life expectancy though.  I've never known one that made it past 10.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Go see the dog!

They are awesome dogs. Mine is the best dog I’ve ever owned.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top