Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 8:44:34 PM EDT
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler told police he pepper sprayed a man who had been filming him on Sunday evening after the man allegedly refused to back away when he was getting into his car.

A Portland Police report states that Wheeler was at the Hillsdale McMenamins with former Mayor Sam Adams when the incident occurred.

The mayor briefly touched on the incident during a press conference Monday, however, KATU obtained a police report that details his account of the incident.

Wheeler said he was leaving the pub at about 8 p.m. when he was confronted by a middle-aged white man who was recording with his cell phone.

According to Wheeler’s account, the man said he’d been taking photos of Wheeler while he was restaurant and accused him of being inside without a mask against COVID-19 regulations. Wheeler said he was in a covered tent area outside while eating and drinking.

Wheeler claims the man, who was not wearing a mask, followed him to his car and refused to back away when he was getting inside.

“I became imminently concerned for my personal safety, as I had recently been physically accosted in a similar situation. In addition, I was concerned about contracting Covid given that he was right in my face that he was not wearing a face mask,” Wheeler told police.

After telling the man he needed to “back off,” Wheeler said he told the man he’d use pepper spray if he did not walk away.

The man remained, so he said he used the spray.

“He seemed surprised, and backed off,” Wheeler told police. “He made a comment like ‘I can't believe you just pepper sprayed me.’”

Wheeler said he then tossed a bottle of water to the man so he could wash his eyes, and then drove off.

https://katu.com/news/local/portland-mayor-pepper-sprays-man-who-refused-to-back-off-while-filming-him-report-says
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an assault to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
He was concerned about getting COVID from the guy filming him, but not from the other diners in an enclosed tent "outdoors"

lol

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just give me a fucking Coke.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Mayoral brutality!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You know damn sure he wouldn’t have pepper sprayed a person of color.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Mayor gonna be charged with assault? Or is he more equal?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He was concerned about getting COVID from the guy filming him, but not from the other diners in an enclosed tent "outdoors"

lol

View Quote

Didn't you know covid is selective in who it chooses to infect?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Portland PD took the report?  Sounds like a conflict of interest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The left would be screaming for his arrest if he were a Republican, only seems fair he should be charged with assault.

I'm well aware that this won't happen though. The left will laud him as courageous for standing up to the maskless evil super spreader.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]
He wasn't looking for COVID ... he was hanging out with Sam Adams -- an ex Portland Mayor who left in disgrace after he was caught diddling his underage (male) intern.
For some reason, he was never prosecuted as sex offender as he should have been, and actually had the nerve to to run for mayor again recently (got nowhere ... wonder why that was?).

Portland government really is a den of iniquity (aka scum and ass bandits).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't the portland mayor also the chief of police or something?

in before the pepper-spray recipient is arrested and sent to a reeducation camp.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just give me a fucking Coke.
View Quote
Make mine vanilla.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Would have been hilarious if he'd pepper sprayed him back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
That's deadly force according to some members here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Honk, honk
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I KNEW Wheeler was a cocksucker, now it is confirmed a bitch ass also.
Wonder if he serviced Nambla Adams in the shitter that Nambla is fond of.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops. I mis-read the subject line.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
That's assault, but he won't face any consequences.  Because he's one of the "elite".

Edit:  Mike Strickland didn't do anything to anyone and he felt threatened.  He's a felon now.  But Mike Strickland is on the "wrong think" side.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

That peice of shit better be arrested.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Use of force must be different for the mayor than the PD.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler told police he pepper sprayed a man who had been filming him on Sunday evening after the man allegedly refused to back away when he was getting into his car.

A Portland Police report states that Wheeler was at the Hillsdale McMenamins with former Mayor Sam Adams when the incident occurred.

The mayor briefly touched on the incident during a press conference Monday, however, KATU obtained a police report that details his account of the incident.

Wheeler said he was leaving the pub at about 8 p.m. when he was confronted by a middle-aged white man who was recording with his cell phone.

According to Wheeler’s account, the man said he’d been taking photos of Wheeler while he was restaurant and accused him of being inside without a mask against COVID-19 regulations. Wheeler said he was in a covered tent area outside while eating and drinking.

Wheeler claims the man, who was not wearing a mask, followed him to his car and refused to back away when he was getting inside.

“I became imminently concerned for my personal safety, as I had recently been physically accosted in a similar situation. In addition, I was concerned about contracting Covid given that he was right in my face that he was not wearing a face mask,” Wheeler told police.

After telling the man he needed to “back off,” Wheeler said he told the man he’d use pepper spray if he did not walk away.

The man remained, so he said he used the spray.

“He seemed surprised, and backed off,” Wheeler told police. “He made a comment like ‘I can't believe you just pepper sprayed me.’”

Wheeler said he then tossed a bottle of water to the man so he could wash his eyes, and then drove off.

https://katu.com/news/local/portland-mayor-pepper-sprays-man-who-refused-to-back-off-while-filming-him-report-says
View Quote

You, me, or another conservative would be arrested for assault.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Ted Wheeler is a tyrant.  Nothing will happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You, me, or another conservative would be arrested for assault.
View Quote

Just look at Mike Strickland.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Filming him when he got sprayed. I would love to see that video go viral.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#27]
People who antagonize someone and get within an arm's length of them are fair game, regardless of their politics.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
People who antagonize someone and get within an arm's length of them are fair game, regardless of their politics.
View Quote

This is kind of where I am on it
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Lawsuit time
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]
They should visit and protest in front of the mayors residence
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m torn on this one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Why doesn't the guy taking the video post it up?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just give me a fucking Diet Coke.
View Quote
Fixed for Left Coast Hipsters
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread screams video required more than any other thread in recent memory.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

If this were still a civil society I would have disagreed with you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#36]
We should just go back to forts with cannons and dungeons for the serfs
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

civil suit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Portland PD took the report?  Sounds like a conflict of interest.
View Quote

No, it's an admission of a battery to the poleeece.  Good for a civil suit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ted Wheeler is also the Police Chief.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like assault to me. Mayor admits the guy was in a public place where he had every right to be. Because he wouldn’t get out of the way, that was grounds for assault?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't follow. If it's not a civil society...then force should be used more readily.

Is it just this mayor? Schadenfreude?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Depends on how close he was I guess. Filming from the other side of the street  - not a good reason to spray, but arms length from you - I would say yes, especially if he maintains that close distance over a period of time for no reason  - that may give me cause to doubt his intentions and believe he might want to do me harm.

I bet we all have a distance that is within our comfort zone.  Right up in your grill is obvious but how close is 'close enough'.

The 21 foot rule is because IF he charges at you with a knife you might not have enough time to deal with the threat. In the case of an unarmed man following you around for no reason that for me would be enough distance that I could defend myself if he lunged at me unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's the commissioner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I think a vital piece of info is how close was the guy
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oops. I mis-read the subject line.
View Quote

Did you substitute a J for the B?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#46]
At this point, I don’t give a fuck who does what to who in Portland. They’re all so retarded, I can’t even pick a side.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Rep. Waters on Trump administration: 'Tell them they’re not welcome'

Videographer was just following Auntie Maxine’s orders
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Depends on how close he was I guess. Filming from the other side of the street  - not a good reason to spray, but arms length from you - I would say yes, especially if he maintains that close distance over a period of time for no reason  - that may give me cause to doubt his intentions and believe he might want to do me harm.

I bet we all have a distance that is within our comfort zone.  Right up in your grill is obvious but how close is 'close enough'.

The 21 foot rule is because IF he charges at you with a knife you might not have enough time to deal with the threat. In the case of an unarmed man following you around for no reason that for me would be enough distance that I could defend myself if he lunged at me unexpectedly.
View Quote
Hmm. Fact not in evidence.

The camera makes an excellent distraction from, well everything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Commissioner not cheif.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#50]
That’s assault all day long. Charge him!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top