Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 3:22:52 AM EDT
Greetings All,

I had the misfortune to get a flat tire recently, and found I was lacking some useful items.

So, I'm going to put together a small practical roadside kit for when the next breaks down occurs.

Any suggestions?

Also, any recommendations for a portable air pump. I'm looking at the VIAIR brand now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My car has runflats so it came with nothing. I built my own kit.

Spare wheel and tire, scissor jack, air compressor, plug kit and impact wrench.

Now I find that the spare won’t fit over the front brakes so if I get a flat in the front, I have to put the spare in the rear and move that to the front.

I bought an AstroAI Air Compressor which is nice and fast. You set the psi and it turns off when it hits it.
Just used it today on a low tire on my work vehicle. Go figure, screw in tire and spare is low on air.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Tire compressor, FULL SIZE TIRE, and if it's an SUV or truck, a 2 ton jack from Wal-Mart. I pump that thing 3-4 times and the vehicle is up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep a Harbor Freight breaker bar and the appropriate socket in both vehicles. Less than $20 for each set and can be used for "crowd control" if needed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy with my Slime Pro air compressor. Had it several years now:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/tire-inflators/products/pro-power-tire-inflator-heavy-duty?variant=47563406344
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Viair 30033 in my truck along with a plug kit.  It's an awesome little compressor. I've also got a full size spare, jack, tools, etc.  

Amazon Product
  • 12 VOLT - 150PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use.
  • 2.3CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI
  • 150 PSI maximum working pressure and a 33% duty cycle

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been happy with my Slime Pro air compressor. Had it several years now:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/tire-inflators/products/pro-power-tire-inflator-heavy-duty?variant=47563406344
View Quote
Pull out your hose and stretch it out.  I would not be surprised if it immediately goes from one piece to a pile of elbow macaroni in about ten seconds.

Yeah, it happened to me.

I need another compressor.  (I put a couple of the VIair into my wish list)

For short term, I bought the Ridgid handheld that uses my battery packs.  It works great.  Cordless.  I use it once a week on my ATV.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the small viair compressor, a set of jumper cables, plug kit, a few valve cores and tool, plus a NOCO jump box all in a small repurposed laptop bag. If I go on a long trip I’ll toss in an impact driver and lug socket just to make life easier.  Oh yeah. I also got a short extra length of air hose for the compressor. Needed to let me get to every tire on my truck. If I get really desperate I can use the jumper cables to extend the reach of the compressor to get to my trailer if it’s hooked up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pull out your hose and stretch it out.  I would not be surprised if it immediately goes from one piece to a pile of elbow macaroni in about ten seconds.

Yeah, it happened to me.  

I need another compressor.  (I put a couple of the VIair into my wish list)

For short term, I bought the Ridgid handheld that uses my battery packs.  It works great.  Cordless.  I use it once a week on my ATV.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up, it's held up great for me over a a few years, but I haven't broken it out in about 8 months.  I need to test that and carry a spare hose.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Vair p88 is what i use to air up after off roading.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now I find that the spare won’t fit over the front brakes so if I get a flat in the front, I have to put the spare in the rear and move that to the front.

View Quote

I have this problem on one of my cars, wheel spacers of the proper thickness may work for you.  A 17mm spacer lets my spare fit my front.

I want to build a kit too, I want an impact and I see adapters so it can turn the scissor jack.  

I had to turn the scissor jack on an SUV with the screwdriver once, that got old quick
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a bunch of Air-Compressor w/ Fix a Flat option from a bunch of hybrid Honda Accords that were totaled in a disaster years ago.  The inflators were not affected, but I bought them for nada.

They will inflate a full sized truck tire to 45 psi in about five minutes run from 0 psi.    They have a dial so you can go from "air" to "Fix a Flat" (if you had a major tire damage) to try to seal it to allow you to limp off the highway or backroads to a actual service center or place with people.  I combined that with an Plug Kit & some bull nose pliars from Wal-Mart so If I have a nail or screw hole in the tire, I can make a basic repair and get back to running to avoid the Donut.   I do have a full sized spare (pair of them on my Truck) which due to off roading I consider the most likely to pick up damage from rocks, thorns or other hazards, even with "E" rated thick tread & sidewalls.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry full spare of course... and small compressor. I also have plug kits in two rigs. Anyone else carry the plug kits? I used to install these back in the 80's as a gas station jockey. I figured it would be plan B if by chance I had more than one flat out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Viair compressors are fantastic
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Timely post, while driving to Cycle gear yesterday, i got the TPMS light on i10. i was sweating bullets cause it was 5' o clock traffic and was expecting to have a blow out in the left lane.
Anyhow, while waiting on Cycle gear i went to air up my tires with a HF clone of  air pump mentioned above, topped off three tires before my cigar lighter blew a fuse.
To make a long story short, HF clone did great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Carry a plug kit and compressor in each vehicle. Compressor wise I just collected a few of the "slime" ones from wallyworld over the years from work trips and they've seemed to do ok. Not sexy, loud, and definitely take a while to fill larger tires (and won't get higher pressures) but seem to work fine. Only one I've had issues with is one of the large ones and it popped a fuse (I assume) on the 12volt plug I was using in a rental car.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I carry full spare of course... and small compressor. I also have plug kits in two rigs. Anyone else carry the plug kits? I used to install these back in the 80's as a gas station jockey. I figured it would be plan B if by chance I had more than one flat out in the sticks.
View Quote

Plug kits and compressors are good ideas (I use a ViaAir 85P).  I've heard some folk carry a battery operated drill to save the trouble of using the T-handle "drill" that comes with the Slime kits, but I don't have enough space in my tool kit and I'd probably let the battery go dead.  

By the way, the ViaAir compressors are a very good choice.  You will pay more but they are very reliable.  I've used my 85P at least twice per year -- filling up my summer/winter tires after each season/swap, as well as airing up for limited autocross events. I don't trust those cheapo combo jump box/compressor kits.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#17]
For a tire air compressor, use a Milwaukee tool inflator. Small with auto shutoff and battery operated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I keep a Harbor Freight breaker bar and the appropriate socket in both vehicles. Less than $20 for each set and can be used for "crowd control" if needed.
View Quote

This, longest breaker bar you can find and an impact socket that fits.  Some vehicles an extension helps clear the fenders.  Way better than factory tool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Full size spare and a PowerTank
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top