Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2018 1:15:01 PM EDT
My son plays jazz piano.  He’s really good, and we want to get something that will allow him to play gigs at bars and restaurants.

Something with a solid, old-school, earthy sound.  He IS a jazz man.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
We just bought my mom a Yamaha P71 for her 80th. It seems pretty nice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you willing to spend 2-3K on a Nord?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
OP for about half the price of a Nord you could get him a Korg SV-1. It's a "vintage stage piano" that sounds like it would be right for your son.

He's gonna need a keyboard amp or small PA speaker as well, gig bag or hard case, cables, bench, keyboard stand (nice double-braced stand, not something cheap)...I'm sure you know all that.

That Korg and something like a QSC K10 for an amp/speaker, and he has something he can use on any stage, large or small, for years.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - All Playing, No Talking!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If I was a keyboard player I would.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, but he’s just 16.  His summer pizza making money won’t cut it.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP for about half the price of a Nord you could get him a Korg SV-1. It's a "vintage stage piano" that sounds like it would be right for your son.

He's gonna need a keyboard amp or small PA speaker as well, gig bag or hard case, cables, bench, keyboard stand (nice double-braced stand, not something cheap)...I'm sure you know all that.

That Korg and something like a QSC K10 for an amp/speaker, and he has something he can use on any stage, large or small, for years.
View Quote
Cool.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, but he's just 16.  His summer pizza making money won't cut it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, but he's just 16.  His summer pizza making money won't cut it.  
Figured he was more college-aged.

Looked around on my keyboard playing buddys' facebook pages trying to get some other ideas for you. Mostly Nords
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
He’s been playing in a jazz orchestra for 5 years.  Heavy on the improv.  He’s played in Vietnam, Senegal, Dubai, and numerous places CONUS.

But this summer, he needs to make money with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He's been playing in a jazz orchestra for 5 years.  Heavy on the improv.  He's played in Vietnam, Senegal, Dubai, and numerous places CONUS.

View Quote
Let me link you to a list of keyboards that are commonly used in the real world. This is an excellent resource; it is what's available for rent at Onstage Systems in Dallas. It is an objective measure of instruments that are in demand.

They would not have these keyboards and pianos sitting around if they weren't sought after by world-class players. We just rented their Hammond organ and Nord Electro 4 this past weekend, as a matter of fact, for a band that flew in.

My frank opinion is that you ought to set him up for success by dropping a few grand on an acceptable rig. He WILL be judged by what he loads in. If you send him out into the world with something cheap, he will likely be embarrassed into begging, borrowing, or stealing to get something better.

Maybe things are different where you live, but in my world there are a ton of talented young guys jockeying for position in a highly competitive music scene. Most of them are carting around several thousand dollars worth of stuff every night. You should give your son a leg up regarding gear.

https://onstagesystems.com/what-we-do/backline/
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let me link you to a list of keyboards that are commonly used in the real world. This is an excellent resource; it is what's available for rent at Onstage Systems in Dallas. It is an objective measure of instruments that are in demand.

They would not have these keyboards and pianos sitting around if they weren't sought after by world-class players. We just rented their Hammond organ and Nord Electro 4 this past weekend, as a matter of fact, for a band that flew in.

My frank opinion is that you ought to set him up for success by dropping a few grand on an acceptable rig. He WILL be judged by what he loads in. If you send him out into the world with something cheap, he will likely be embarrassed into begging, borrowing, or stealing to get something better.

Maybe things are different where you live, but in my world there are a ton of talented young guys jockeying for position in a highly competitive music scene. Most of them are carting around several thousand dollars worth of stuff every night. You should give your son a leg up regarding gear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's been playing in a jazz orchestra for 5 years.  Heavy on the improv.  He's played in Vietnam, Senegal, Dubai, and numerous places CONUS.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
It's my pleasure. I respect you from your posts in GD, so more than happy to help out. It's exciting to hear that your son is on the verge of making a go at music.

I'm not a keyboardist, but I'm infinitely familiar with the culture surrounding modern live keyboard/piano/organ playing. I'm assuming he won't want to play restaurants and bars forever. He gets plugged into the right scene and doors will open for him left and right. He will almost assuredly branch out from jazz when he starts recognizing all the opportunities available to him. A versatile keyboard player could literally work 24/7 if he could stay awake all the time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Weighted keys. That is the biggest complaint I hear from my keys playing friends. They want weighted keys. Otherwise an older Yamaha Motif is pretty nice. If he isn’t looking to play too loud krk powered studio monitors sound pretty decent for the price.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's your Wednesday night working jazz man rig. Yamaha P-80, I think these can be had used for about $375.

The JBL monitor is ours. A lot of restaurants and bars will have crappy or no monitors, though, so it's always good to have your own in case you need it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Listening to a Hammond Sk1 tonight. They go for about $1,900
http://hammondorganco.com/products/portable-organs/sk-1/
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Roland RD-700GX
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#17]
What’s the consensus on 73 vs 88 keys?

Will 73 be that much of a limitation?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the consensus on 73 vs 88 keys?

Will 73 be that much of a limitation?
View Quote
ARFCOM is slacking. Get both

Seriously though, I've seen two Korg SV-1s this week. It's a sign. Still think that's the one you ought to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top