Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2020 2:17:58 PM EDT
This has to be the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in my life while working on cars. No dip stick, but an oil level sensor...that only randomly works.   After an online search, I've found that the oil level monitor will only work when the oil is up to temperature.  (So, if you don't put the right amount in, you won't know it until the engine has warmed up...LOL.  Who the eff thought of that?)

I bought this Cayenne new in 2017 for the wife.  The first time changing the oil, the sensor worked fine and displayed the correct level after the engine was up to temperature.  The second oil change was yesterday, and even with the coolant up to temperature and the oil up to temperature it won't display. I've tried it in park, in drive, when moving, when parked, engine on, engine off and every other configuration I can think of with no luck. This is ridiculous. Any ideas?

Attachment Attached File

I've heard that a VW Touareg dipstick can be retrofitted.  I'll probably do that this week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Honda.  You won't have these problems.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Honda.  You won't have these problems.
View Quote
Yeah, I was wanting something a little more grown up for the wife to drive.  We're not in college anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
No dipstick AT ALL?! I love Porsche, but what a horrible, horrible design.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
my 911 (2007) has no dip stick and I can only get an accurate reading before I start my car

once it has been driven and the engine is warmed up I will not get an accurate reading.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

my 911 (2007) has no dip stick and I can only get an accurate reading before I start my car

once it has been driven and the engine is warmed up I will not get an accurate reading.
View Quote
Damn. I wonder why Porsche went that way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Damn. I wonder why Porsche went that way.
View Quote
Because it works fine. Except for the OP
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because it works fine. Except for the OP

View Quote
And just like that, it works fine and I cant duplicate the problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
In order to appease the poverty stricken,
Porsche caters to those with insufficient staff to monitor the fleet's lubricant status.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And just like that, it works fine and I cant duplicate the problem.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181032/20200209_122904_jpg-1270308.JPG
View Quote
All you had to do was start the thread
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my first BMW in '06.  No dipstick! I was like WTF?  No more topside oil changes.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Typical German over engineering. A complicated solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Typical German over engineering. A complicated solution in search of a problem.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck that...I want to run my oil at Full for a reason. Not min, not in the middle, at the top of the fucking line; all cars, trucks and bikes.
I follow owners manual for capacity fill amounts with filter change but only as a guide line. I spend an extra 20 minutes (and check next day) on making certain the level is DFN.
I need to settle down...
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Let's replace the nearly idiot proof and ultra reliable hardware dipstick with failure prone and imprecise electronics.  Genius.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#16]
BMW has also eliminated the dipstick.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]
E60 BMWs with the Idrive are the worst, especially the M5's. I give up on trying to get a measurment.  I drain and fill to spec.  In a couple days while driving it may finally decide to show the oil level. The Porsches seems to like to get good and hot then sit for about 2mins to take the reading but that's not always the case.  Nothing new though.  All Z Germans have gone away from the dip stick for the most part on the gas engines.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let's replace the nearly idiot proof and ultra reliable hardware dipstick with failure prone and imprecise electronics.  Genius.
View Quote
Do you want the service techs to starve?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
No shit!  I can't believe they would pull this crap...

...oh wait, yes I can.  It makes you go to the dealer and spend $$$$ for every little thing.

But who's the idiot not looking under the hood before spending that kind of coin on a vehicle...?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Coming soon to all cars. Look at what going on with auto transmissions. Yea I know you don't need to check trans oil often but it is sure
nice to see the condition of your oil. Yes the color of your transmission oil tells you a lot. You can knock all you want about a Nissan Frontier
but I can do an trans oil change just as easy as changing the engine oil. In fact I think it is easier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You bought the car new in 2017 and this is the second oil change????
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right but wrong. Why use 1 part when 4 parts will do . The mantra of German engineering
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You bought the car new in 2017 and this is the second oil change????
View Quote
It may have been the third.  I just change it when it tells me to.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Coming soon to all cars. Look at what going on with auto transmissions. Yea I know you don't need to check trans oil often but it is sure
nice to see the condition of your oil. Yes the color of your transmission oil tells you a lot. You can knock all you want about a Nissan Frontier
but I can do an trans oil change just as easy as changing the engine oil. In fact I think it is easier.
View Quote
It is easier, no filter......and the trans dipstick is easier to read than the oil dipstick.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you route your clothes dryer vent into garage or something?  That's a lot of dust.
Maybe wipe it, "What? Like With A Cloth?"
-Deke
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
many BMWs are the same way, even on high end stuff it makes no sense just to have a sensor when it could easily fail over time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bmw and others do the same shit. When its low they will just say add a quart.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly with high-end vehicle it should have a electric oil level sensor for when you need to add oil and dipstick, not one or the other, both.

Especially for supercars as some of them consume a quart of oil every 500 miles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Honestly with high-end vehicle it should have a electric oil level sensor for when you need to add oil and dipstick, that one or the other, both.

Especially for supercars as some of them consume a quart of oil every 500 miles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly with high-end vehicle it should have a electric oil level sensor for when you need to add oil and dipstick, that one or the other, both.

It all a joke no oil dip sticks. Now all half tons dont have transmission dip sticks. Its like they want you to destroy things.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you route your clothes dryer vent into garage or something?  That's a lot of dust.
Maybe wipe it, "What? Like With A Cloth?"
-Deke
View Quote
It's the wife's car...grocery getter...kid hauler.  It sits outside in the driveway.  It's probably only been washed twice since we owned it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#31]
My Audi Allroad didnt have one either. Bought one on ebay for $7.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top