Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's operating under the assumption that a reinstitution of the TLM would lead to an increase in Church-wide attendance. That's a big assumption, and your "evidence" that it would by showing the attendance rates at TLM masses is anecdotal at best. It relies on too small a pool and too homogeneous a sample.
View Quote

What is operating under that assumption?  The TLM is attracting youth and keeping them.

Someone who cared about why his parish wasn't getting young families might ask "What is it about the TLM that is pulling in these people and fostering that kind of devotion. Should I think about offering a TLM here or in light of TC, what practices can I adopt from the TLM at my parish"
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
P

Bottom line: If the Church stopped recognizing (and I hope they never do) the sacraments of the TLM, would you abide by its decision, and would you still acknowledge him as the legitimate heir to the Seat of Peter?

ETA: And do you not see how the Trads/NO identifications are problematic within the Roman Rite? You did not address the first part of that post, and I think it's important.
View Quote

Page 5 and I found a question I hadn't answered - the second half of this question. I missed it because I was irritated at the first half when i had already posted such in this thread.

I believe Pope Francis was validly elected as Bishop of Rome and as the Roman pontiff.

I believe Pope Francis is the Pope.

I believe he is the worst pope of my lifetime and maybe ever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Question:  do you not see your criticism as too close to Sedevacantists
Answer:  No with justification

It is interesting the Sedes such as Novus Ordo Watch say that it is not legitimate to resist a true pope.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You and H46Driver share the same myopia on this subject. You continually equate the abrogation of the TLM with just about all evil that is currently befalling the Catholic church. Heresy, apostasy, drop in attendance, the subversion of the church from the inside, etc. etc. You do this to the point where you question the authority of the Magisterium. What else is one supposed to conclude from those statements?

And I continue to be baffled by the second point of your statement, one that is shared by several others: Namely, that the abrogation of the TLM is the cause of all these woes. The statement highlighted in red: Show me the data.
View Quote

The abrogation of the TLM is not THE one thing, but it is ONE OF the things.

Even if you don't want the TLM, why not try to figure out what it is about that form of the Mass that attracts and holds people especially the young and large, young families.

I believe that this is why Cardinal Sarah recommended Ad Orientum worship in Advent 2016. We all know what happned to that idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And? While it may not be the approach I would take, that doesn't make it innately malicious, evil, or damning. .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And? While it may not be the approach I would take, that doesn't make it innately malicious, evil, or damning. .

I guess I didn't answer "And?"  I thought it was rhetorical.

It matters because Catholicism is competing in the marketplace of ideas with not only other denominations, but with secularism.

Evangelicals have hipper worship music, Episcopals don't have to go to Mass every week and their liturgy will feel familiar to former Catholics, and secularism - having a lot of sex sure will feel good, at least in the moment.

Catholicism is different.  Christ is physically present in our churches, we invoke saints, our religion is mental and physical - we stand, we sit, and we kneel. We have priests primarily to offer the sacrifice that is our liturgy. Among Christians, only Catholics do that (big O Orthodox included).  We fast, we have rosaries, and devotions to saints.

If you want to distinguish yourself from the crowd, you lean into that, and after 50+ years of NOM and 1 year of TLM, I gotta tell ya, TLM does all of that better.  It shouldn't be a surprise since the guy who wrote the liturgy had as an objective, minimizing those distinctions.  

Salt and Light - that's what we are supposed to be, not blend in with everyone else.  Even Barron (not sure if he was Father or Bishop at the time) used to talk about how bad "beige Catholicism" is. Go to a High Mass and tell me there is even a hint of beige there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What does "downfall" mean? either way, the answer is no; Vatican 2 was the breaking open of the crust where the magma of modernism spewed forth.

View Quote

A mathier answer would be that it was an inflection point where the influence and adoption of modernism in the RCC accelerated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How is this a surprise? I said "duplicitous" didn't I?

Sure, anyone can say something...once....but all of their subsequent actions are what really tell the story.

It's not what is "said", but what is "done" that defines a man.

View Quote

You mean like recommending that the guy considering leaving his NO parish talk to his pastor, get involved in his parish, and, most importantly, pray about it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Question:  why do you reject V2 and the NOM
Amswer: I don't reject V2 or the NOM. I prefer TLM, but NOM is valid

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23930/8F879627-B4A9-40BF-BF49-47300D6C6565_png-2026857.JPG
View Quote

No, that's not the question anymore, and hasn't been for some while, at least not from me. My question has been about whether or not you realize how bad your tone, statements, and and vitriol belie the fact that while you may SAY you don't reject the V2, everything you post expresses that you do...clearly.

It has been said that some Trads outright reject VII, but my contention, and that of others here, is that you are giving lip service to accepting it, while your actions (comments) demonstrate that you reject it. I have made this very clear in many posts. I don't see why you keep trying to answer a question no one is asking.

We're past talking about if we all agree to say the cups are blue. Rather, we are talking about why you keep saying they are blue while treating them as red, whether you call them blue or not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You mean like recommending that the guy considering leaving his NO parish talk to his pastor, get involved in his parish, and, most importantly, pray about it?
View Quote

How about you work within the NO, as many have suggested, pushing for changes within it rather than pushing the TLM so hard?

I'm not talking about, "Well at my old Church...", I'm talking about doing it now. Go to a TLM for your own worship, but still play an active part of in an NO Church to alter it. That's what the logical extrapolation of this would look like.

You are saying that you are all for changing the NO from within (at least that's what you think others should do), but meanwhile you will only participate in the TLM if you have your druthers.

I'm working from within mine to allow for kneeling at the alter rails, (which we now have rails), taking communion in the tongue without issue now that vaccines are out, more Latin usage in mass, etc.

I'm working within the NO, not hiding behind the walls of the TLM attacking the Pope and the contemporary Church.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, that's not the question anymore, and hasn't been for some while, at least not from me. My question has been about whether or not you realize how bad your tone, statements, and and vitriol belie the fact that while you may SAY you don't reject the V2, everything you post expresses that you do...clearly.

It has been said that some Trads outright reject VII, but my contention, and that of others here, is that you are giving lip service to accepting it, while your actions (comments) demonstrate that you reject it. I have made this very clear in many posts. I don't see why you keep trying to answer a question no one is asking.

We're past talking about if we all agree to say the cups are blue. Rather, we are talking about why you keep saying they are blue while treating them as red, whether you call them blue or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Arguments that rely on purely subjective criteria like “tone” and “vitriol” are a logical fallacy known as Ad Hominem.  

Argumentum ad hominem (argument directed at the person). This is the error of attacking the character or motives of a person who has stated an idea, rather than the idea itself.

The converse to your argument would be for me to say “you Novus Ordo types just have a chip on your shoulder about the TLM, and even though you SAY you are OK with it, I think you really are giddy to break with tradition for your own prideful reasons.”  That would be incorrect for me to say that, because perceptions can be wrong, and I am not a mind reader, so it would not be appropriate for me to assume your motives and then attack you for them.

I point this out not to dogpile or “score a point,” but because good debate amongst the faithful where “iron sharpens iron” is a wonderful thing that helps us work through issues to uncover truth.  Seeing fallacious arguments is painful to watch, and works everyone up in to a fury without the prize at the end of coming to a better understanding of truth.

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How about you work within the NO, as many have suggested, pushing for changes within it rather than pushing the TLM so hard?

I'm not talking about, "Well at my old Church...", I'm talking about doing it now. Go to a TLM for your own worship, but still play an active part of in an NO Church to alter it. That's what the logical extrapolation of this would look like.

You are saying that you are all for changing the NO from within (at least that's what you think others should do), but meanwhile you will only participate in the TLM if you have your druthers.

I'm working from within mine to allow for kneeling at the alter rails, (which we now have rails), taking communion in the tongue without issue now that vaccines are out, more Latin usage in mass, etc.

I'm working within the NO, not hiding behind the walls of the TLM attacking the Pope and the contemporary Church.
View Quote

This is the “if you are so against abortion, why don’t you adopt everyone unwanted baby?  Oh you didn’t? Then you aren’t really against abortion!” argument.  It places an unreasonable expectation that to a hold a certain position requires some extraordinary corresponding action.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Other selected quotes from this thread:

Further proof that the smoke of Satan has not only entered the Church, but that it now sits upon the Chair of Peter.  I will continue to pray for this miserable pope's repentance and conversion, but I will also now pray for a speedy end to his papacy.

It's been Traditionalists who have opposed Bergoilian plans (yeah, VG, I finally said it - but only because Franciscan would be confusing) to further Protestantize the liturgy, grow syncretism and indifferentism, promote homosexuality as holy, disestablish traditional gender roles, etc.

So why do TLM parishes teach the truth and, apparently, most NO parishes don't?

I'll stop here because I don't care to re-read the entire thread. The question posed was "Plenty of assertions from some in this thread about non-acceptance of V2 without any examples of non-accepted teachings.". Now granted, you could logically say that none of what I posted technically could be defined as "not accepting the teachings of V2", but that is semantics, pure and simple. The hatred and vitriol directed at the Pope and the actions ascribed to the church in just the quotes above do not give me the warm fuzzies about someone embracing the Magisterium or its decisions.
View Quote

I apologize for my posts that offended you and for personalizing our disagreements.  I would like to continue our discussions dispassionately if you are willing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This isn't the place to talk about why I switched to a TLM church, but maybe I will start another thread for that.  Zhukov asked a similar question earlier in the thread about why I did not get involved to change things instead of sniping from the pews at the TLM.  

Briefly, it was not an easy choice.  I spent more than a month mostly attending Wed and Sat evening Masses at the NO and Fri and Sun morning at the TLM churches.  I left behind a group of friends, a place of pride - I was an EMHC and a lector - one of the lectors that the pastor routinely called on for the "big jobs" like narrator for the Passion Gospel and always in the mix for those two roles on major religious days and typically "on the clock" 3-4 weekends every month, including many Saturday masses of anticipation because I was one of the few willing to serve on Saturday.  I made the change in mid-COVID when there were no social events to get to know folks at my new church.  It was lonesome and difficult, but it was something that God called me to do.  Honestly, He has been calling me to do it for 4 years or so and I had resisted because I was comfortable where I was.

You say that you are working from within your church.  Is it easy?  Does the pastor do what you want?  I suspect the answers are "no" and "it's taking a lot of work".  Since you said that you are working for it, I assume that means it isn't easy.  How much less likely do you think your pastor would be to consider inputs from people who were not even members of the parish?  It's simply not realistic.

I have been an RCIA or Confirmation sponsor 4 times, a Godfather twice and de facto fill that role for a couple of others whose Godfather was more of a social pick.

As far as what I still do, I was one of the charter members of the That Man is You (TIMY) group at my former parish and I am still a small group leader there. We meet Saturdays at 0630 if you are interested.  It's a great group of men striving to become better Catholics, Christians, husbands, fathers, and men.

Quoted:

There are no walls keeping people out of the TLM.  Have you ever attended one, especially a High Mass?  I am certainly not hiding any more than I am not answering questions.

Quoted:

When it comes to tone, brother, you should consider looking in the mirror.  I am not the only one if this thread or in this subforum that may have some issues there.

This line from you has taken on a "Heads I win; tails you lose" feel.  When there is no doctrine that I oppose, the bar shifts to something that I really don't know how to describe, but I will call for lack of a better term the "Spirit of Vatican II".  I think you called it "the direction the Church has taken".  When I try to nail down what that is by specifically listing things that are going on the post V2 Church with which I disagree, them I am , I am either dissembling, somehow hiding that with which I really disagree (kinda doing your work for you here, not making you dig for things with which I disagree) to see if that is what you mean by "the direction the Church has taken" or I am trying to "justify my anger".    

Yeah, the things that make me angry make me angry.  This would all be so much easier if I actually was a sedevacantist.  Then I could just look down my nose and laugh at the poor rubes who have to listen to Pope Francis.  The fact that I am NOT a sede is what makes this hard.  My Church is stuck with this awful pope and I am have to pray every day for this man that I don't like very much and with whom I have many disagreements.

Finally, you said that I have been "called out" for advocating the superiority of the TLM.  You don't have to call me out.  I think it's better and I am happy to have a discussion about why, but primarily because I think that it is more reverent.

Father Longenecker tweeted a couple of days ago that "Traditional worship and orthodoxy brings church growth".  When someone asked him if he meant "all in Latin" by that he replied "No. In English, but with ad orientem celebration, classic hymns, Gregorian chant and sections in Latin."

This is really close to what the V2 document on Liturgy, SC, called for.  I have been to NO mass in a dozen states, four countries, several Navy ships, and in the Italian, French, Portugese, Spanish, and English.  None of them had those 4 things.  Two were ad orientum:  Sunday Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore and Saturday evening Mass at the JEB Little Creek chapel.  None have had Gregorian chant, and only my previous parish had much use of Latin:  the Sanctus, the Agnus Dei, and the Mysterium Fidiei (this exists only in the NOM).

Such as Mass as Father Longenecker calls for could exist at literally any NO parish in the world and it may exist somewhere.  I am not aware of such a Mass existing anywhere in the Diocese of Richmond.  I can get ad orientum, classic hymns, Gregorian chant, and Latin at the 3-5 places that celebrate the TLM in this diocese, or at least did celebrate it before TC, which may wipe it out from the 2-3 diocesan parishes that offer it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have been to NO mass in a dozen states, four countries, several Navy ships, and in the Italian, French, Portugese, Spanish, and English.  None of them had those 4 things.  Two were ad orientum:  Sunday Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore and Saturday evening Mass at the JEB Little Creek chapel.  None have had Gregorian chant, and only my previous parish had much use of Latin:  the Sanctus, the Agnus Dei, and the Mysterium Fidiei (this exists only in the NOM).
View Quote

The NO masses at my parish have all four.  Also one of the only parishes out here where they've done the penitential rite at the beginning of mass (it is conspicuously absent from most NO masses, IME since childhood) and one of a minority that actually recite the creed.  The NO masses also use the communion rail and communion on the tongue only, only the consecrated handling the Eucharist (if necessary, the priest in the confessional will come out really quickly and participate in this part of the mass before returning to the confessional), and not allowing female participation in the mass (all lectors and altar servers are men).  It's the only time I've ever been to a NO mass where everyone didn't hold hands and instead held them out in front of them for the Pater Noster, and where during the sign of peace people aren't running around to greet everyone, shaking each other's hands, etc. (the priest says peace, everyone responds, "And with your spirit," and the mass moves on), although one priest at my old parish would sometimes change the order such as to make it impractical for people to do the whole meet and greet thing, as he hates it as he finds it irreverent and disruptive (he's one of the few theologically conservative priests in a very liberal order).  Also no liturgical dancers, pagan rituals, and other nonsense that can be seen at many a NO mass, and it's one of the only parishes where I've seen the priests actually go through the ablutions after communion before moving on.  The prayers done after low masses are also done after NO masses, or during the ablutions at NO masses, which I've never seen anywhere else.

My parish only offers the Latin Mass once on Sunday, once on Saturday, and on Holy Days of Obligation (and sometimes it's the only mass offered, or the only one during a time when most people can attend, as a practical matter).  All others masses are NO.  The Latin Mass and the mid-morning NO mass on Sunday are absolutely packed, as are any of the masses outside of odd hours on Holy Days of Obligation.  Much more variable for the other NO masses.

If I can't make the Latin Mass for some reason (I do try hard to make it most Sundays), I have no problem going to one of the NO masses with the way they are.  It's just about as reverent as you can make the NO mass, and all of the priests doing them are theologically conservative or orthodox, with some being highly educated, which can result in interesting homilies.  My favorite homilist at my parish only does the NO masses other than helping out with communion at the Latin masses sometimes.  I almost always learn something new about my faith or myself and my relationship to God in his homilies.  Almost all of the homilies where I felt like the Holy Spirit was specifically addressing me through the priest were his homilies.  He also will ask questions about the Faith and the scriptures and expects people to try and answer, just like if we were in a theology class.  I really wish he presided over a Latin Mass, but alas, he's not fond of it and doesn't know how to preside over them, although when he's had to substitute, he's tried to give gestures to the Latin mass-goers by doing the NO mass entirely in Latin.  He's a Norbertine priest.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just read this a little while ago:

Statement on the Motu Proprio «Traditionis Custodes»

Many faithful – laity, ordained and consecrated – have expressed to me the profound distress which the Motu Proprio «Traditionis Custodes» has brought them. Those who are attached to the Usus Antiquior (More Ancient Usage) [UA], what Pope Benedict XVI called the Extraordinary Form, of the Roman Rite are deeply disheartened by the severity of the discipline which the Motu Proprio imposes and offended by the language it employs to describe them, their attitudes and their conduct. As a member of the faithful, who also has an intense bond with the UA, I fully share in their sentiments of profound sorrow.

As a Bishop of the Church and as a Cardinal, in communion with the Roman Pontiff and with a particular responsibility to assist him in his pastoral care and governance of the universal Church, I offer the following observations:

1.  In a preliminary way, it must be asked why the Latin or official text of the Motu Proprio has not yet been published. As far as I know, the Holy See promulgated the text in Italian and English versions, and, afterwards, in German and Spanish translations. Since the English version is called a translation, it must be assumed that the original text is in Italian. If such be the case, there are translations of significant texts in the English version which are not coherent with the Italian version. In Article 1, the important Italian adjective, “unica”, is translated into English as “unique”, instead of “only.” In Article 4, the important Italian verb, “devono”, is translated into English as “should”, instead of “must.”

2.  First of all, it is important to establish, in this and the following two observations (nos. 3 and 4), the essence of what the Motu Proprio contains. It is apparent from the severity of the document that Pope Francis issued the Motu Proprio to address what he perceives to be a grave evil threatening the unity of the Church, namely the UA. According to the Holy Father, those who worship according to this usage make a choice which rejects “the Church and her institutions in the name of what is called the ‘true Church’,” a choice which “contradicts communion and nurtures the divisive tendency … against which the Apostle Paul so vigorously reacted.”

3.  Clearly, Pope Francis considers the evil so great that he took immediate action, not informing Bishops in advance and not even providing for the usual vacatio legis, a period of time between the promulgation of a law and its taking force. The vacatio legis provides the faithful and especially the Bishops time to study the new legislation regarding the worship of God, the most important aspect of their life in the Church, with a view to its implementation. The legislation, in fact, contains many elements that require study regarding its application.

4.  What is more, the legislation places restrictions on the UA, which signal its ultimate elimination, for example, the prohibition of the use of a parish church for worship according to the UA and the establishment of certain days for such worship. In his letter to the Bishops of the world, Pope Francis indicates two principles which are to guide the Bishops in the implementation of the Motu Proprio. The first principle is “to provide for the good of those who are rooted in the previous form of celebration and need to return in due time to the Roman Rite promulgated by Saints Paul VI and John Paul II.” The second principle is “to discontinue the erection of new personal parishes tied more to the desire and wishes of individual priests than to the real need of the ‘holy People of God’.”

5.  Seemingly, the legislation is directed to the correction of an aberration principally attributable to the “the desire and wishes” of certain priests. In that regard, I must observe, especially in the light of my service as a Diocesan Bishop, it was not the priests who, because of their desires, urged the faithful to request the Extraordinary Form. In fact, I shall always be deeply grateful to the many priests who, notwithstanding their already heavy commitments, generously served the faithful who legitimately requested the UA. The two principles cannot help but communicate to devout faithful who have a deep appreciation and attachment to the encounter with Christ through the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite that they suffer from an aberration which can be tolerated for a time but must ultimately be eradicated.

6.  From whence comes the severe and revolutionary action of the Holy Father? The Motu Proprio and the Letter indicate two sources: first, “the wishes expressed by the episcopate” through “a detailed consultation of the bishops” conducted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 2020, and, second, “the opinion of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.” Regarding the responses to the “detailed consultation” or “questionnaire” sent to the Bishops, Pope Francis writes to the Bishops: “The responses reveal a situation that preoccupies and saddens me, and persuades me of the need to intervene.”

7.  Regarding the sources, is it to be supposed that the situation which preoccupies and saddens the Roman Pontiff exists generally in the Church or only in certain places? Given the importance attributed to the “detailed consultation” or “questionnaire,” and the gravity of the matter it was treating, it would seem essential that the results of the consultation be made public, along with the indication of its scientific character. In the same way, if the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was of the opinion that such a revolutionary measure must be taken, it would seemingly have prepared an Instruction or similar document to address it.

8.  The Congregation enjoys the expertise and long experience of certain officials – first, serving in the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei and then in the Fourth Section of the Congregation – who have been charged to treat questions regarding the UA. One must ask whether the “opinion of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith” reflected the consultation of those with the greatest knowledge of the faithful devoted to the UA?

9.  Regarding the perceived grave evil constituted by the UA, I have a wide experience over many years and in many different places with the faithful who regularly worship God according to the UA. In all honesty, I must say that these faithful, in no way, reject “the Church and her institutions in the name of what is called the ‘true Church’.” Neither have I found them out of communion with the Church or divisive within the Church. On the contrary, they love the Roman Pontiff, their Bishops and priests, and, when others have made the choice of schism, they have wanted always to remain in full communion with the Church, faithful to the Roman Pontiff, often at the cost of great suffering. They, in no way, ascribe to a schismatic or sedevacantist ideology.

10.  The Letter accompanying the Motu Proprio states that the UA was permitted by Pope Saint John Paul II and later regulated by Pope Benedict XVI with “the desire to foster the healing of the schism with the movement of Mons. Lefebvre.” The movement in question is the Society of Saint Pius X. While both Roman Pontiffs desired the healing of the schism in question, as should all good Catholics, they also desired to maintain in continuance the UA for those who remained in the full communion of the Church and did not become schismatic. Pope Saint John Paul II showed pastoral charity, in various important ways, to faithful Catholics attached to the UA, for example, granting the indult for the UA but also establishing the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter, a society of apostolic life for priests attached to the UA. In the book, Last Testament in his own words, Pope Benedict XVI responded to the affirmation, “The reauthorization of the Tridentine Mass is often interpreted primarily as a concession to the Society of Saint Pius X,” with these clear and strong words: “This is just absolutely false! It was important for me that the Church is one with herself inwardly, with her own past; that what was previously holy to her is not somehow wrong now” (pp. 201-202). In fact, many who presently desire to worship according to the UA have no experience and perhaps no knowledge of the history and present situation of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X. They are simply attracted to the holiness of the UA.

11.  Yes, there are individuals and even certain groups which espouse radical positions, even as is the case in other sectors of Church life, but they are, in no way, characteristic of the greater and ever increasing number of faithful who desire to worship God according to the UA. The Sacred Liturgy is not a matter of so-called “Church politics” but the fullest and most perfect encounter with Christ for us in this world. The faithful, in question, among whom are numerous young adults and young married couples with children, encounter Christ, through the UA, Who draws them ever closer to Himself through the reform of their lives and cooperation with the divine grace which flows from His glorious pierced Heart into their hearts. They have no need to make a judgment regarding those who worship God according to the Usus Recentior (the More Recent Usage, what Pope Benedict XVI called the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite) [UR], first promulgated by Pope Saint Paul VI. As one priest, member of an institute of the consecrated life, which serves these faithful, remarked to me: I regularly confess to a priest, according to the UR, and participate, on special occasions, in the Holy Mass according to the UR. He concluded: Why would anyone accuse me of not accepting its validity?

12.  If there are situations of an attitude or practice contrary to the sound doctrine and discipline of the Church, justice demands that they be addressed individually by the pastors of the Church, the Roman Pontiff and the Bishops in communion with him. Justice is the minimum and irreplaceable condition of charity. Pastoral charity cannot be served, if the requirements of justice are not observed.

13.  A schismatic spirit or actual schism are always gravely evil, but there is nothing about the UA which fosters schism. For those of us who knew the UA in the past, like myself, it is a question of an act of worship marked by a centuries-old goodness, truth and beauty. I knew its attraction from my childhood and indeed became very attached to it. Having been privileged to assist the priest as a Mass Server from the time when I was ten years old, I can testify that the UA was a major inspiration of my priestly vocation. For those who have come to the UA for the first time, its rich beauty, especially as it manifests the action of Christ renewing sacramentally His Sacrifice on Calvary through the priest who acts in His person, has drawn them closer to Christ. I know many faithful for whom the experience of Divine Worship according to the UA has strongly inspired their conversion to the Faith or their seeking Full Communion with the Catholic Church. Also, numerous priests who have returned to the celebration of the UA or who have learned it for the first time have told me how deeply it has enriched their priestly spirituality. This is not to mention the saints all along the Christian centuries for whom the UA nourished an heroic practice of the virtues. Some have given their lives to defend the offering of this very form of divine worship.

14.  For myself and for others who have received so many powerful graces through participation in the Sacred Liturgy, according to the UA, it is inconceivable that it could now be characterized as something detrimental to the unity of the Church and to its very life. In this regard, it is difficult to understand the meaning of Article 1 of the Motu Proprio: “The liturgical books promulgated by Saint Paul VI and Saint John Paul II, in conformity with the decrees of Vatican Council II, are the only (unica, in the Italian version which seemingly is the original text) expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite.” The UA is a living form of the Roman Rite and has never ceased to be so. From the very time of the promulgation of the Missal of Pope Paul VI, in recognition of the great difference between the UR and the UA, the continued celebration of the Sacraments, according to the UA, was permitted for certain convents and monasteries and also for certain individuals and groups. Pope Benedict XVI, in his Letter to the Bishops of the World, accompanying the Motu Proprio «Summorum Pontificum», made clear that the Roman Missal in use before the Missal of Pope Paul VI, “was never juridically abrogated and, consequently, in principle, was always permitted.”

15.  But can the Roman Pontiff juridically abrogate the UA? The fullness of power (plenitudo potestatis) of the Roman Pontiff is the power necessary to defend and promote the doctrine and discipline of the Church. It is not “absolute power” which would include the power to change doctrine or to eradicate a liturgical discipline which has been alive in the Church since the time of Pope Gregory the Great and even earlier. The correct interpretation of Article 1 cannot be the denial that the UA is an ever-vital expression of “the lex orandi of the Roman Rite.” Our Lord Who gave the wonderful gift of the UA will not permit it to be eradicated from the life of the Church.

16.  It must be remembered that, from a theological point of view, every valid celebration of a sacrament, by the very fact that it is a sacrament, is also, beyond any ecclesiastical legislation, an act of worship and, therefore, also a profession of faith. In that sense, it is not possible to exclude the Roman Missal, according to the UA, as a valid expression of the lex orandi and, therefore, of the lex credendi of the Church. It is a question of an objective reality of divine grace which cannot be changed by a mere act of the will of even the highest ecclesiastical authority.

17.  Pope Francis states in his letter to the Bishops: “Responding to your requests, I take the firm decision to abrogate all the norms, instructions, permissions and customs that precede the present Motu proprio, and declare that the liturgical books promulgated by the saintly Pontiffs Paul VI and John Paul II, in conformity with the decrees of Vatican Council II, constitute the unique [only] expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite.” The total abrogation in question, in justice, requires that each individual norm, instruction, permission and custom be studied, to verify that it “contradicts communion and nurtures the divisive tendency … against which the Apostle Paul so vigorously reacted.”

18.  Here, it is necessary to observe that the reform of the Sacred Liturgy carried out by Pope Saint Pius V, in accord with the indications of the Council of Trent, was quite different from what happened after the Second Vatican Council. Pope Saint Pius V essentially put in order the form of the Roman Rite as it had existed already for centuries. Likewise, some ordering of the Roman Rite has been done in the centuries since that time by the Roman Pontiff, but the form of the Rite remained the same. What happened after the Second Vatican Council constituted a radical change in the form of the Roman Rite, with the elimination of many of the prayers, significant ritual gestures, for example, the many genuflections, and the frequent kissing of the altar, and other elements which are rich in the expression of the transcendent reality – the union of heaven with earth – which is the Sacred Liturgy. Pope Paul VI already lamented the situation in a particularly dramatic way by the homily he delivered on the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul in 1972. Pope Saint John Paul II labored throughout his pontificate, and, in particular, during its last years, to address serious liturgical abuses. Both Roman Pontiffs, and Pope Benedict XVI, as well, strove to conform the liturgical reform to the actual teaching of the Second Vatican Council, since the proponents and agents of the abuse invoked the “spirit of the Second Vatican Council” to justify themselves.

19.  Article 6 of the Motu Proprio transfers the competence of institutes of the consecrated life and societies of apostolic life devoted to the UA to the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. The observance of the UA belongs to the very heart of the charism of these institutes and societies. While the Congregation is competent to respond to questions regarding the canon law for such institutes and societies, it is not competent to alter their charism and constitutions, in order to hasten the seemingly desired elimination of the UA in the Church.

There are many other observations to be made, but these seem to be the most important. I hope that they may be helpful to all the faithful and, in particular, to the faithful who worship according to the UA, in responding to the Motu Proprio «Traditionis Custodes» and the accompanying Letter to the Bishops. The severity of these documents naturally generates a profound distress and even sense of confusion and abandonment. I pray that the faithful will not give way to discouragement but will, with the help of divine grace, persevere in their love of the Church and of her pastors, and in their love of the Sacred Liturgy.

In that regard, I urge the faithful, to pray fervently for Pope Francis, the Bishops and priests. At the same time, in accord with can. 212, §3, “[a]ccording to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.” Finally, in gratitude to Our Lord for the Sacred Liturgy, the greatest gift of Himself to us in the Church, may they continue to safeguard and cultivate the ancient and ever new More Ancient Usage or Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke
Rome, 22 July 2021
Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene, Penitent
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, the things that make me angry make me angry.  This would all be so much easier if I actually was a sedevacantist.  Then I could just look down my nose and laugh at the poor rubes who have to listen to Pope Francis.  The fact that I am NOT a sede is what makes this hard.  My Church is stuck with this awful pope and I am have to pray every day for this man that I don't like very much and with whom I have many disagreements.
View Quote

I don't know why, but this part struck me as beautifully honest and filled with integrity.

I admire how you are torn, but have not fully left or rejected this Pope (which I have been close to doing myself). I never gave you credit for that, and I was wrong for not seeing or commending that.

And yeah, my tone sucks ass also. This is my major hang up. I will work on it brother.

I respect you and all here who cherish the TLM, and I hope it is in our Church forever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Just watched this on the way into work. Very interesting to say the least.

Lefebvre vs. Ratzinger: What is the Liturgy?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you are taking major losses in a battle... you retreat. Preferably to known ground. Defensiveable ground. Like one that has evangelize the world for 1800 yrs.

You seem to believe that we are saying that the NOM is illegitimate. I will not say that because it us what I received all my Sacraments from. But, one would have to extrapolate that there is problems with it because of the data.... and the fact that there wasn't a reason to make the changes they did.

I asked a question above.... did the Eucharist change?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you are taking major losses in a battle... you retreat. Preferably to known ground. Defensiveable ground. Like one that has evangelize the world for 1800 yrs.

You seem to believe that we are saying that the NOM is illegitimate. I will not say that because it us what I received all my Sacraments from. But, one would have to extrapolate that there is problems with it because of the data.... and the fact that there wasn't a reason to make the changes they did.

I asked a question above.... did the Eucharist change?

The Growth of the Latin Mass: A Survey

Excerpts:

Is TLM attendance growing? Most advocates of the TLM have assumed growth in recent months and years; Crisis Magazine even hosted a podcast in March titled, “Why is Traditional Catholicism Booming?” But the “fact” of traditional Catholicism growth was anecdotal—although many people were noting an increase in attendance at their TLM, there was no data to prove growth was happening.

To remedy this, Crisis Magazine surveyed U.S. parishes that offer at least one regularly scheduled TLM. We sought to determine any changes in their TLM attendance since January 2019. While we could have attempted to ascertain a longer history of TLM attendance, we wanted to focus on recent growth, while also establishing a baseline that predated COVID-19 restrictions. This would give a solid idea of the extent of any growth in recent years.

When we sent out the survey, we did not know that right in the middle of the answer period would come Pope Francis’s motu proprio. Our original intention was to publish these results so that Church leaders and all Catholics could have a sense of the growth of this movement (or lack thereof) when making decisions about its future. Now, however, the survey results may be seen as a sort of “State of the TLM before Traditionis Custodes.” Time will tell how much these numbers will change in response to the papal decree.

We received 82 responses to the survey (92% of responses were received before the motu proprio was released). Parishes from 33 states responded. This is an excellent response rate (20%), representing 12% of all TLM-celebrating parishes over a broad geographical range. We feel this is a strong representative sample.

The survey first asked how often the parish celebrates the TLM. Fifty-two percent offer one TLM each Sunday, 33% offer more than one each Sunday, and 15% offer a TLM less frequently than every Sunday.

The next four questions were related to attendance. We asked what the attendance at the parish’s Sunday TLM was in the following months: January 2019, January 2020, January 2021, and June 2021, in order to assess trends over the 30-month time frame. Parishes were also asked to indicate if they didn’t offer a TLM during any of those months. One parish discontinued its TLM during the given time frame, and 16 parishes began offering the TLM after January 2019.

In January 2019, the average attendance across 59 parishes with a Sunday TLM was 145.
In January 2020, the average attendance across 61 parishes with a Sunday TLM was 163.
In January 2021, the average attendance across 69 parishes with a Sunday TLM was 174.
In June 2021, the average attendance across 75 parishes with a Sunday TLM was 196.

So at a time when general Mass attendance was decreasing, attendance at the TLM was dramatically increasing.

Nevertheless, TLM-attending Catholics still make up a very small minority in the Church. As noted, 658 parishes (pre-Traditionis Custodes) offer at least one TLM regularly. However, there are 16,702 total Catholic parishes in the United States, according to the most recent data. Thus, only 4% of parishes offer even one TLM on a regular (although not necessarily weekly) basis. In the ocean of American Catholicism, attendance at the TLM is still a small, albeit growing, bucket.

Whether that rapid growth is a good or bad thing, of course, depends on your perspective.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

His answer was 1) Catechisis, and 2) More reverence for the blessed sacrament. He does reject the NO as being a singular fault though, but leaves open the idea that we could do more to treat it as it should be.

View Quote

I agree with Bishop Barron here.  Unambiguous catechesis is important, especially when it concerns the source and summit of the Catholic faith.  More reverence also matters.  The Catholic idea of lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi (the way we pray (or worship) affects what we believe which affects how we live).  There is also a feedback loop here that observing certain actions reinforces beliefs.  

There are a number of liturgical practices that the Catholic Church has implemented in the past as lex orandi to reinforce that Jesus is present in the Eucharist, body, blood, soul, and divinity:

-Only allowing an ordained priest with consecrated hands to transact the sacrament
-Only allowing those with consecrated hands to use those hands to touch consecrated matter
-Defining the prayer(s) of consecration and ensuring the priests' compliance
-Obscuring the consecration behind a veil or screen
-Ringing bells to denote the moment of consecration
-Placing a lit candle on the altar during the consecration and removing it after
-Requiring the faithful to kneel during the consecration and while Christ is physically present on the altar outside of the tabernacle
-Elevating the host and chalice at the moments of consecration to allow for their adoration
-Using only precious metals in the chalice and ciborium to contain the consecrated bread and wine
-Reserving consecrated hosts in a tabernacle made of precious metal
-Locating that tabernacle in the center of the altar and denoting the physical presence of Jesus within it (by means of a lit candle)
-By the priest and acolytes never turning their backs to Jesus present in the tabernacle
-By all of the faithful genuflecting every time one crosses in front of the tabernacle
-By the priest doing a ritual washing of his hands after distributing the Eucharist to the faithful to ensure that no small particles of the host remain on his hands
-By using patens made of precious metal to guard against a dropped host being profaned by touching the floor
-By the faithful kneeling to receive the Eucharist on their tongues instead of grasping it with their hands like ordinary food
-By frequent reminders in homilies that the faithful must be in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist (as written in 1 Cor 11:26-29)
-By making the means of returning to a state of grace easily available
-By frequent Eucharistic adoration whether exposed in a monstrance or even with a ciborium on the altar following distribution of holy communion and purification of sacred vessels

That's just off the top of my head and I don't believe that the failure to do any ONE of those things immediately causes belief in the real presence to falter.  The TLM as said in the 1962 missal doesn't do all of those things, but each item on that list is ONE OF a group of things that reinforce belief in the real presence.  I have a hypothesis that the more of those things a congregation does, the higher belief in the real presence is there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Some recent anecdotal evidence that this is already backfiring.  

My father has now decided that he will attend the traditional Mass regularly.  He attended regularly at his NO parish.  Last year, he's started coming to the traditional Mass with me maybe once every month or two.  This motu proprio has prompted him to do more research, of his own initiative and without me saying anything, and now he has decided that he will come to the traditional Mass regularly.  He actually sent me the video below.

I overheard a conversation at work today between two Catholic men.  They were talking about this motu proprio and the liberal of the two said that he has only been to a traditional Mass once or twice almost 20 years ago, but now he will try to go more often.  Then he went on talking about the Church being in crisis, communion for politicians who support abortion, double standards, the pope being a sympathizer of socialists, etc.  I would never have expected to hear that kind of stuff from him; it was completely out of character.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, at least watch 8:13 - 15:20.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Shots fired from the Netherlands. I really expected it to be from Cdl. Eijk; I had never heard of Bp. Mutsaerts.  God bless him.

An Evil Edict from Pope Francis
Bishop Rob Mutsaerts
Auxiliary Bishop of ‘s-Hertogenbosch
What Pope Francis is doing here has nothing to do with evangelization and even less to do with mercy. It is more like ideology.

Go to any parish where the Old Mass is celebrated. What do you find there? People who just want to be Catholic. These are generally not people who engage in theological disputes, nor are they against Vatican II (though they are against the way it was implemented). They love the Latin Mass for its sacredness, its transcendence, the salvation of souls that is central to it, the dignity of the liturgy. You encounter large families; people feel welcome. It is only celebrated in a small number of places. Why does the pope want to deny people this? I come back to what I said earlier: it is ideology. It is either Vatican II—including its implementation, with all its aberrations—or nothing! The relatively small number of believers (a number growing, by the way, as the Novus Ordo is collapsing) who feel at home with the traditional Mass must and will be eradicated. That is ideology and evil.
Why? For God’s sake, why? What is this obsession of Francis to want to erase* that small group of traditionalists? The pope should be the guardian of tradition, not the jailer of tradition. While Amoris Laetitia excelled in vagueness, Traditionis Custodes is a perfectly clear declaration of war.
View Quote

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2021/07/liturgy-is-not-toy-of-popes-it-is.html?m=1
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shots fired from the Netherlands. I really expected it to be from Cdl. Eijk; I had never heard of Bp. Mutsaerts.  God bless him.

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2021/07/liturgy-is-not-toy-of-popes-it-is.html?m=1
View Quote

For an edict issued in response to a survey a bishops, there seem to be a lot of bishops not terribly enthused about it.

It might cause one to wonder what the results of that survey were.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have decided to post on this topic, despite being a Protestant (Presbyterian, specifically PCA).  I understand I’m “out of my lane”.  A few references were made over the last 7 pages to “how you make us look to Protestants and others?”, in reference to some heated words by @H46Driver  and others in favor of TLM.  

I attended a catholic private grade school and as such  went to mass weekly for years.  To damn with faint praise, I saw little difference between my Protestant service and the NO mass I attended for school.  

My closest friends are Catholics, one was married under the Byzantine mass (wearing crowns and lots of references to Theotokos!) and another a self described TLM advocate.

All that throat clearing out of the way, it hurts my heart to see conflict like this in the Catholic Church.  It feels like an abuse to a friend.  From the outside looking in, I can’t help but side with people like h46driver in sentiment.  That’s just an honest conservative reaction, I want all good things conserved.  

As others like ValleyGunner have noted though, the church has weathered worse.  I doubt very much this will be the end of Latin mass.  I’m reminded of Tolkien standing up in the pew to protest in Latin haha.

I don’t think an honest Christian of any denomination enjoys Schadenfreude because of this restriction.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The Latin Mass is obviously extremely powerful, it is attracting growing numbers of faithful who were not alive in 1962.   Looks like Satan wants it stopped, but from the general reaction of the Bishops thus far, I don't think he will succeed.  While this is happening, he's moving very rapidly on a number of fronts simultaneously, seemingly accelerating his timetable to snuff out the Democratic Republic.  Why is he suddenly in such a hurry?  It's not just about 2022, there is something, or rather someone else he is afraid of.  Ultimately, the events resulting in the Democratic Republic were set in motion by a vessel entitled "Santa Maria".  August is a month with 3 Marian feasts.  To me all of these are very hopeful signs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

It's easy to get distracted.

Grace and Peace.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Archbishop Viganò on Traditionis Custodes
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I noticed that Vigano uses "Bergoglio" instead of "pope Francis" here.  Does that mean he is now an open sedevacantist of some sort?  If so, that seems significant.  But maybe that is common knowledge and I have just been living under a rock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I noticed that Vigano uses "Bergoglio" instead of "pope Francis" here.  Does that mean he is now an open sedevacantist of some sort?  If so, that seems significant.  But maybe that is common knowledge and I have just been living under a rock.
View Quote

I don't think that's the case.  He referred to him as pope and used the name Francis plenty in the video above.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't think that's the case.  He referred to him as pope and used the name Francis plenty in the video above.
View Quote

Jorge Mario Bergoglio is the name by which the 2020 Vatican yearbook refers to Pope Francis as well.  I would assume that was at Pope Francis's direction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#30]
So here is what I wrote to my bishop earlier this week:

Bishop ___________,

In light of Pope Francis’s recent motu proprio, Traditionis Custodes, I wanted to describe the impact and importance of the traditional Latin Mass in my life.  I am a man and in my  (age range).  I grew up regularly attending the Mass of Pope Paul VI in the diocese of _________ .  I attended twelve years of Catholic school there and served as an altar boy at _________ parish for the last five of those years.

I have primarily lived in ________ for the past 21 years except for a year in ________ and I have been a member of __________ and ________ parishes.  I attended my first traditional Latin Mass in late June of last year (2020) at _________.  I was immediately struck by the immense beauty and reverence of the low Mass, especially its focus on God and its quiet prayerfulness.  I felt like this mass completed my practice of the Catholic faith.  I was not eager to leave (NO parish), which I truly loved and where I had many friends, so I asked God for a month to choose a course of action.  During that month, I prayed and attended Mass often at both parishes while discerning where God wanted me to be.

While attending the First Saturday Mass at (TLM parish) on August first last year, I suddenly realized that my month was up and that this (TLM parish) was where God wanted me to be.  Since that time, my faith has grown as attending the traditional Latin Mass brought out devotion in me that is deeper than what preceded it.  I attend Mass more frequently, including daily Mass on the weekdays when my work schedule permits.  I receive the sacrament of Reconciliation more frequently; I pray more often.

I tell you these things because they are my lived experience, the effect that regularly attending this Mass has had upon me.  I have not seen the division that Pope Francis spoke of in the motu proprio or the accompanying letter.  I accept all of the teachings of Vatican II.  How could any Catholic not?  And while I believe that the Mass of Pope Paul VI is a valid Mass that conveys sacramental grace, it is the Mass of the Ages, a Mass that I am too young to have known growing up, that has deeply attracted and affected me.

I humbly ask you to prayerfully consider my experience as you face the difficult task of implementing Traditionis Custodes in the Diocese of ___________.  

Excellency, you and your fellow bishops are often in my prayers.

Sincerely,

H46Driver
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, now that we got that out of the way...

https://newwalden.org/archives/30267

https://www.marcotosatti.com/2021/08/05/after-taking-down-summorum-pontificum-the-new-objective-is-inter-communion/

Dear friends and enemies of Stilum Curiae, a friend from inside the Vatican Walls tells us  and naturally the news still needs to be verified  that the reigning Pontiff wants to return to concerning himself with Intercommunion, that is, making it possible for the faithful of other non-Catholic Christian confessions to participate in the Eucharist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.marcotosatti.com/2021/08/05/after-taking-down-summorum-pontificum-the-new-objective-is-inter-communion/

Dear friends and enemies of Stilum Curiae, a friend from inside the Vatican Walls tells us  and naturally the news still needs to be verified  that the reigning Pontiff wants to return to concerning himself with Intercommunion, that is, making it possible for the faithful of other non-Catholic Christian confessions to participate in the Eucharist.
View Quote

While not terribly surprising, I don't see how they could receive worthily, other than perhaps the Eastern Orthodox faithful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While not terribly surprising, I don't see how they could receive worthily, other than perhaps the Eastern Orthodox faithful.
View Quote

Ha!  My wife just said the same thing.  How if they aren't also partaking in the sacrament of reconciliation. etc.  

The EO thing is a Catch-22.  From a Roman perspective, EO can already receive.  But from an EO perspective, it would be viewed as illicit unless extraordinary circumstances existed (kinda like a RC receiving at a sede parish), I'd say even more so if said changes happen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ha!  My wife just said the same thing.  But it's a Catch-22.  From a Roman perspective, EO can already receive.  But from an EO perspective, it would be viewed as illicit unless extraordinary circumstances existed (kinda like a RC receiving at a sede parish), I'd say even more so if said changes happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  My wife just said the same thing.  But it's a Catch-22.  From a Roman perspective, EO can already receive.  But from an EO perspective, it would be viewed as illicit unless extraordinary circumstances existed (kinda like a RC receiving at a sede parish), I'd say even more so if said changes happen.

Just illicit?  Not invalid?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just illicit?  Not invalid?
View Quote

I want to say illicit 100%, but in looking for an official source I'm confronted with the fact that no "official" EO position exists, and EO individuals seem free to take different positions.  So it would be misleading for me to say that illicit is necessarily universal, but it's also the case that invalid cannot be universal. During my time as an EO catechumen (prior to being received into the EO) I was told that we could still commune (and confess) at the RCC.  In my experience the EO who came from the RCC or otherwise have a decent enough understanding of Rome do recognize the validity of RC sacraments.  I certainly do and my EO priest also does.  But I can also see some EO (think protestant converts) avoiding the discussion entirely.  Beyond rejecting a particular understanding of papal primacy (and the filioque of course), we're not required to hold any position whatsoever about the RCC or its sacraments.  The EO generally do not have a lot of things defined dogmatically--there isn't a centralized way of doing so.

However, if an EO were to receive at a RC church (I was warned about this given my known personal biases) without an emergency situation or some kind of special permission to do so (which I think can exist in theory but I know of no actual examples), I think it could be viewed as the EO rejecting Orthodoxy and essentially choosing to "become" RC.  In this case the individual would likely need to have a discussion with the priest and likely reconciliation before being admitted back to EO communion.  I suspect (I'll ask if I can remember) that if I took communion at a Methodist church (invalid by all accounts), that it might not have the same sanction--everyone involved would agree I was just eating bread at a memorial service of some sort.

I have personally witnessed multiple individuals being denied EO communion at multiple EO parishes.  I've never seen anyone denied at a RC parish ever, and my RC sample size is a whole lot bigger.  I hesitate to say that it's taken more seriously in the east, because RC norms require even trad priests to commune individuals who they know "shouldn't" receive to avoid scandalizing them, as long as the sin isn't public (and even then).  Perhaps more of the responsibility is just shifted onto the individual in the west, and more is shifted onto the priest in the east.  It just made me think of an interesting parallel with the different direction left/west vs right/east the sign of the cross is made (blessing one's self vs receiving the priest's blessing).  Anyway, if the communicant bears most of the responsibility for worthiness, then it might also partly explain why we now might have an intercommunion suggestion, though I of course still disagree with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't about Eastern Orthodox.  This is about Lutherans, German Lutherans in particular.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#37]
It would be unacceptable in my opinion, and a blatant heresy to allow intercommunion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Pope Francis:
“I am not afraid of schisms,” Francis said in a 10-minute response, adding that there had been many in the 2,000-year history of the Church.
View Quote

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-plane-schism/pope-says-he-prays-u-s-led-schism-can-be-thwarted-idUSKCN1VV2IA

Just a reminder of Bergolian gaslighting.  

We should not ever discount anything outrageous that this man says.  He is a Peronist.  His tactics are to say something absurd in order to provoke a reaction and then gaslight his critics by sending his defenders after the critics.  The defenders say things like "there is no way the Pope meant this" or "the critics are exaggerating".

Then Francis will spout off an orthodox tidbit or two.  "See he's not heterdox/heretical!  He said Jesus".

After this, Francis's proxies move out towards the initial absurd statement and Francis does nothing to correct them.

Finally, 'who is he to judge', synodality, 'God of surprises', whatever nonsense justification his PR machine can crank out and we end up at the initial absurd position.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#39]

'“So I think we have to be gentle with people who are tempted by these attacks because they are going through problems. We have to accompany them with tenderness,” he said.'

Yes, this motu proprio is a cornucopia of gentleness and tenderness.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This makes clear why the pre-emptive strike of TC.

Resistance to Pope Francis's innovations and heterodoxy has been centered in traditional circles.

Traditiones abrogates Summorum, restoring to bishops the ability to licitly eliminate TLM from their dioceses.

Now propose intercommunion, same sex weddings, female priests/deacons, whatever.

If traditionalists speak up - your TLM is gone forever.  This is a knife to the throat.

If you think I'm wrong, tell me why.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you.

This has been prophesied. One world religion is well on its way. Communion will be taken from us again permanently. "All the Faithful will have is the Rosary. "

Interesting times. My wife & I are increasing our children's access to Confession. Unfortunately, "stage 5" precautions have been reinstated and many priest are again inhibiting the Faithful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you.

This has been prophesied. One world religion is well on its way. Communion will be taken from us again permanently. "All the Faithful will have is the Rosary. "

Interesting times. My wife & I are increasing our children's access to Confession. Unfortunately, "stage 5" precautions have been reinstated and many priest are again inhibiting the Faithful.
View Quote

Agree. These are trials that the Church must go through for God to restore it.  Our Lady of LaSalette told of this and it's likely that Our Lady of Fatima did as well in a part of the third secret that the popes have withheld since John XXIII (see his "prophets of doom" comments).

With great trials come great graces.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Agree. These are trials that the Church must go through for God to restore it.  Our Lady of LaSalette told of this and it's likely that Our Lady of Fatima did as well in a part of the third secret that the popes have withheld since John XXIII (see his "prophets of doom" comments).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Exactly!

Plus, Our Lady of Good Success...... amazing prophecies, in the only country Consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Equador). Plus, the 7 nuns are still incorruptible.

Along with Our Lady of Akita is pretty damning.

Hold on.... its gonna be a wild ride
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Our Lady of Akita:

The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, bishops against bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their confreres … churches and altars sacked; the Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord … Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able still to save you from the calamities which approach. Those who place their confidence in me will be saved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The more I pray on these recent events, the more that Genesis 4 comes to mind.  Cain killing Abel because of Cain's envy of Abel's sacrifice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard that the 3rd secret was similar to the prophesy at Akita according to those who have read it. Malachi Martin? Essentially the Blessed Mother had to reveal the warning a second time because the masonic progressives in the Hierarchy failed to do what she instructed earlier.

I knew when it was finally revealed by the Vatican that it was only about John Paul II being shot (and surviving) it was likely BS. Child Lucia was shown hellfire full of grotesque demons and tortured souls yet was so much more disturbed by the 3rd secret that she had to be commanded to write it down. The revelation of a future pope getting shot and surviving would have made her yawn at worst.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've heard that the 3rd secret was similar to the prophesy at Akita according to those who have read it. Malachi Martin? Essentially the Blessed Mother had to reveal the warning a second time because the masonic progressives in the Hierarchy failed to do what she instructed earlier.

I knew when it was finally revealed by the Vatican that it was only about John Paul II being shot (and surviving) it was likely BS. Child Lucia was shown hellfire full of grotesque demons and tortured souls yet was so much more disturbed by the 3rd secret that she had to be commanded to write it down. The revelation of a future pope getting shot and surviving would have made her yawn at worst.
View Quote

The other two secrets started with a vision followed by an explanation from the BVM.

The third vision lacks an explanation...  The explanation is what the Church has not released.

Pope B16 said that the messages from Akita and Fatima were "essentially the same".
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
My five-year-old nephew, who's also my godson, started kindergarten today.  Apparently, they went to Mass as a class.  I asked him how it was, and his answer was, "It's MUCH different."

He's been coming with us to Sunday Mass for almost a year, but I think his parents are tired of hearing him say that the Mass he goes to with me is better than theirs.  I have not said a word to him about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Pope Francis Is Tearing the Catholic Church Apart

By Michael Brendan Dougherty
Mr. Dougherty, a senior writer at National Review, has written extensively about faith and the Roman Catholic Church.

Long excerpts

There I learned that the Latin language was not the only distinguishing feature of this form of worship. The entire ritual was different from the post-Vatican II Mass. It wasn’t a mere translation into the modern vernacular; less than 20 percent of the Latin Mass survived into the new.

Years later, Pope Benedict allowed devotees of this Mass to flourish in the mainstream of Catholic life, a gesture that began to drain away the traditional movement’s radicalism and reconcile us with our bishops. Today, it is celebrated in thriving parishes, full of young families.

Yet this Mass and the modestly growing contingent of Catholics who attend it are seen by Pope Francis as a grave problem. He recently released a document, Traditionis Custodes, accusing Catholics like us of being subversives. To protect the “unity” of the church, he abolished the permissions Pope Benedict XVI gave us in 2007 to celebrate a liturgy, the heart of which remains unchanged since the seventh century.

In the Latin Mass, the priest faces the altar with the people. It never had oddities, as you sometimes encounter in a modern Mass, like balloons, guitar music or applause. The gabby religious talk-show host style of priest is gone. In his place, a priest who does his business quietly, a workmanlike sculptor. By directing the priest toward the drama at the altar, the old Mass opens up space for our own prayer and contemplation.

In the years after Pope Benedict liberalized the old rite, parishes began to bring back the mystical tones of Gregorian chant, the sacred polyphony written by long-dead composers like Orlando Lassus and Thomas Tallis as well as contemporary composers like Nicholas Wilton and David Hughes.

A freshman religious studies major would know that revising all the vocal and physical aspects of a ceremony and changing the rationale for it constitutes a true change of religion. Only overconfident Catholic bishops could imagine otherwise.

The most candid progressives agreed with the radical traditionalists that the council constituted a break with the past.

Pope Francis envisions that we will return to the new Mass. My children cannot return to it; it is not their religious formation. Frankly, the new Mass is not their religion. In countless alterations, the belief that the Mass was a real sacrifice and that the bread and wine, once consecrated, became the body and blood of our Lord was downplayed or replaced in it. With the priest facing the people, the altar was severed from the tabernacle. The prescribed prayers of the new Mass tended never even to refer to that structure anymore as an altar but as the Lord’s table. The prayers that pointed to the Lord’s real presence in the sacrament were conspicuously replaced with ones emphasizing the Lord’s spiritual presence in the assembled congregation.

The prayers of the traditional Mass emphasized that the priest was re-presenting the same sacrifice Christ made at Calvary, one that propitiated God’s wrath at sin and reconciled humanity to God. The new Mass portrayed itself as a narrative and historical remembrance of the events recalled in Scripture, and the offering and sacrifice was not of Christ, but of the assembled people, as the most commonly used Eucharistic prayer in the new Mass says, “from age to age you gather a people to Thyself, in order that from east to west a perfect offering may be made.”

For Catholics, how we pray shapes what we believe. The old ritual physically aims us toward an altar and tabernacle. In that way it points us to the cross and to heaven as the ultimate horizon of man’s existence.

The new ritual points us toward a bare table, and it consistently posits the unity of humankind as the ultimate horizon of our existence. In the new Mass, God owes man salvation, because of the innate dignity of humanity. Where there was faith, now presumption. Where there was love, now mere affirmation, which is indistinguishable from indifference. It inspires weightless ditties like “Gather Us In.” Let’s sing about us!

I believe the practice of the new Mass forms people to a new faith: To become truly Christian, one must cease to be Christian at all. Where the new faith is practiced with a zealous spirit — as in Germany now — bishops and priests want to conform the religion’s teaching to the moral norms of the nonbelieving society around them. When the new faith was young, after the council, it expressed itself in tearing up the statues, the ceremonies and religious devotions that existed before.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pope Francis Is Tearing the Catholic Church Apart

By Michael Brendan Dougherty
Mr. Dougherty, a senior writer at National Review, has written extensively about faith and the Roman Catholic Church.

Long excerpts

View Quote

Too bad those progressives didn't just convert to Lutheranism since their aims and his were one in the same. I grew up with three country churches built by German settlers within a few miles of each other. In the late 60s they were "remodeled" in the spirit of Vat II with the communion rails taken out, beautiful gothic alters and confessionals torn out and replaced with one dimensional screens, and statues either removed or painted over (along with the murals) in a single "earth tone" color that matched the ceiling and walls.

We had a student in HS do a history project where he collected old photos of the before. I only knew the after and I felt robbed and sick to my stomach not only by the physical changes to the church itself but also by the wholesome clothing and devout look of the parishioners in the old photos when compared to my generation of morally bankrupt and misguided sheep. All 3 churches are demolished now due to lack of priests, low attendance, and funding by the Bishop.  Mission accomplished - the devil.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top