Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/13/2020 3:25:32 PM EDT
When job-hunting, firms ask you to upload your resume. The good firms (one with IT guys with a brain) have the web-service/software auto-populate the address/work experience/education fields from your uploaded resume.
Other places, with systems designed by monkeys, ask you to upload your resume and then want you to hand-enter all of the fields that are exactly what is contained in the resume. If you want my resume, then why in the f$^$ do I have to input all of the exact data??...and this was for IT firms.

Q: "What will you do in your first year at the company?"
A: "Well, I'll fix your crappy-ass system and fire the guy who designed it, and then all of the people who approved and implemented it."

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Search function here
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My '07 Focus has a PVC valve like most cars. But, UNLIKE most cars where it's a literally 1 minute job to replace, it's a 5 hour job because they put it BETWEEN the intake and block, so you have to remove half the engine bay to get to it.
Also, it has a "lifetime" air filter good for the life of the car, and is rated for 150K miles... Wha?!? I'm about to roll 333K miles on it.

Also, also, they used a rubber seal on the blend door which deteriorates into a super sticky glue causing the control cables to break. Changing the blend door is like a 12 hour job, because THE ENTIRE DASH AND SUBSTRUCTURE HAS TO COME OUT! I have to change my vent setting by getting out of the car and shoving my hand up into the dash from the bottom.

WTF, Ford?!?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Nothing nice to say about the people that came up with and implemented that garbage.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Dominion election software?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I find terrible designs that are widely adopted to be the most fascinating.

Single "smart" on/off buttons are really a terrible design. Instead of a simple, elegant, positive clicker SPST on off switch, you have a stupid electronic on/off that you need to hold for 5 seconds. Why? What does that possibly serve? I don't want to hold it for 5 seconds to turn on, 5 seconds to turn off, 2 seconds to pause, double-tap to do some other function, and neither does anyone else. Put in a small button array and a master switch, not any more complex and infinitely more user friendly. If it's to protect from accidental turning off (the only legitimate argument for these designs I've ever heard), simply submerge the switch in a detent so it can't be bumped.

And, these fucking buttons styles are EVERYWHERE now. EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
1. This forum's multiple choice response set-up is poorly designed.

2. Tacos
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Often wonder if the designer/company ceo actually use the crap they sell? Sure seems like the answer is F- NO!
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The EU.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
-Breda modello 30
-ebay
-ffp2 masks
-most chairs
-any modern gun with grip safety
Etc
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m on record as a fan of Apple hardware but the dipshit that designed the Apple Magic Mouse with the recharge port on the bottom needs to slam his nuts in a drawer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I got some portable wall hangers online but they are worthless for hanging anything. The hook is too small and thick to keep my towels from falling off the wall and they aren't even really all that portable. I wouldn't recommend them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
3rd gen 4Runner lower ball joints
2017 f250 headlight adjusters
Pretty much any factory Polaris Rzr roll cage

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
See this picture. The thing wrapped in blue cellophane is a main engine cylinder liner for the M/E of one of our newest ships. The engine room is designed so that pistons and cyl liners can be removed from the M/E and then transferred to a second gantry that will lift it out of the engine room through a vertical hatch and deliver it to the dock at either side of the ship via overhanging gantry.

The problem... The designers did not factor in the overall height of the crane hardware in addition to the height of the piston or cyl liner. So once attached to the gantry it does not actually clear the deck above the engine room. So now the piston or cyl liner have to be tilted to remove, defeating the entire purpose of the "easy" removal gantry system.

The kicker is that this is the third time in a row this has been discovered during the buildout process in the shipyard. The designer ignores the issue and does not revise the blueprints so the problem is just expected at this point.

I watched in the shipyard as the engineers got one of the M/E pistons stuck during removal when they realized they had to tilt the piston at some 30 degrees with snatch blocks and comealongs before it could be removed by the gantry.

In this pic they were lifting the cyl liner up vertically through the hatch by hand with chainfalls, because the gantry was going to be useless for getting the liner out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I swim in an ocean of badly designed things.
The minute you set a budget, there's a badly designed thing.
The minute you set a release date, there's a badly designed thing.
The minute you accept an incorrect assumption, there's a badly designed thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Frigidaire refrigerator.  

I have custom cabinets in my kitchen.  Frigidare was the ONLY fridge I could find that was short enough to fit in the opening.

Of course, it is taller than listed on the spec sheet, so I had to cut my cabinets anyway.  By then, the old fridge was gone so I just kept it rather than buying a good refigerator.

Anyway, the really great design feature of a Frigidaire refrigerator is that if there is a power interruption, it emits a barely audible ding every minute to let you know that you should turn it back on.  Very thoughtful of them to put some kind of warning device on there like that.  Of course, every other refrigerator is the fucking universe just turns back on when there is power.  This one?  Nope.  OFF.  Off until you open the door and push the reset button for 5 or 10 seconds.    Not a day goes by that I don't think someone needs to be shot, but the guy that designed that actually does need to be shot.  Many times.  Starting at the ankles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The Zip22 is just a clusterfuck of poor design ideas piled on top of each other cumulating in the most dogshit piece of garbage imaginable.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fucking yes
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't tell you how many times my mother has called me because her webcam isn't working. Her laptop a has teeny-tiny recessed slider that covers the webcam. It is located in spot you naturally touch when adjusting the screen. It is black on black. It is difficult to see if of age that wears bifocals. I have trouble manipulating it, and I know where it is.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The female brain
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm on record as a fan of Apple hardware but the dipshit that designed the Apple Magic Mouse with the recharge port on the bottom needs to slam his nuts in a drawer.
View Quote
Can I be the one that slams the drawer?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Battery location on Ford Escapes. The average broom handle. Everything Remington has made since 1990. Magpul SL handguards. Every 3 point sling known to man.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
The touch screen display in virtually every modern car.   Of course I have not driven every modern car, but the ones I have with these screens are a model of stupidity.  Making me read the safety disclaimer as soon as the car is put in gear, yet the car designer is the a-hole that FORCES me to use this touch screen in the first place!  And then not allowing certain functions because the car is moving (a passenger can input things too ya know!).

The seat heating/cooling controls in my wife's Highlander are dumb.  It's a roller switch that is numbered, with no detents, so you HAVE to look down at it to see what the setting is.  Roll one way for heat, roll the other for cool.  At least they got that part right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Epa gas can spouts. I have seen 5 or 6 different ones and they all suck and break.

Chevy truck 1995 to 1998 inside door latch handle. So shitty every HELP section in every auto parts store stocks them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I had to rescue my daughter from out of a gas station parking lot because the battery in her 2010 Buick Enclave finally crapped out.  I jumped her off and because I didn't have any tools with me, followed her to the Autozone so she could have them change the battery out.

She bought the battery, opened the hood, and the guy goes, "Where's the battery?"  I look - fuse block, no battery.

Turns out, the battery is in a hole in the floor of the passenger compartment behind the passenger seat.  To get to it, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward, the middle row seat all the way back, and unscrew a carpeted cover plate.  The hole in the floor is just barely big enough to hold the battery, so to take the cable ends loose requires stubby little open-end wrenches and the agility of a monkey.  Because the battery ends flop back in once you get the old battery out, putting the new battery in requires four hands - one to hold the positive cable out of the way, one to hold the negative cable out of the way, and two to hoist the new battery down into the hole in the floor.

Once you do all that, though, the rest of it is a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Ruger Mark II pistol takedown lever
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m on record as a fan of Apple hardware but the dipshit that designed the Apple Magic Mouse with the recharge port on the bottom needs to slam his nuts in a drawer.
View Quote

On one hand, it is a pants on head stupid design. On the other hand, you'd have to be pants on head stupid to buy a mouse from Apple.

For me, any headlight mounting system that isn't like a 99-06 GM truck/SUV is a terrible design. You can change every bulb on the front of the vehicle in 5 minutes, with NO tools. New designs you have to remove an airbox, or take off the whole bumber.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On one hand, it is a pants on head stupid design. On the other hand, you'd have to be pants on head stupid to buy a mouse from Apple.

For me, any headlight mounting system that isn't like a 99-06 GM truck/SUV is a terrible design. You can change every bulb on the front of the vehicle in 5 minutes, with NO tools. New designs you have to remove an airbox, or take off the whole bumber.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hsAcFfKf40c/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Some headlight designs are horrible. But, not all of them. My Kia's headlights are super easy. Plenty of space behind for adjustment, simple controls to adjust. Big screw caps & weather seals to get to the bulbs...can do all that by hand. To remove the lights, just unscrew two top screw mounts, entire lens assembly pops out of the front of the car. 20 seconds to complete removal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Battery location on Ford Escapes. The average broom handle. Everything Remington has made since 1990. Magpul SL handguards. Every 3 point sling known to man.
View Quote

What is wrong with broom handles?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
One thing I **hate** is seeing a newer Chevy pull up to a gas pump behind me... the Karen gets out and the door shuts and there’s this automatic triple horn blast that makes me want to douse their Equisux in gas and light it. It’s the most damned obnoxious thing, and I bet it’s easy to turn off but they don’t.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got some portable wall hangers online but they are worthless for hanging anything. The hook is too small and thick to keep my towels from falling off the wall and they aren't even really all that portable. I wouldn't recommend them.
View Quote

That’s because they’re really DIASs, not wall hangers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#32]
my refrigerator's icemaker power supply runs thru the freezer light switch.  So when the freezer light switch craps out, the icemaker no longer works.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

omg this... when I first got mine it took me a second to find the charging port because it’s in the absolute last place it should be
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ruger Mark II pistol takedown lever
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
That new GM multipro tailgate is an abomination from what I've seen. My business neighbor already messed his up on a trailer ball.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had to rescue my daughter from out of a gas station parking lot because the battery in her 2010 Buick Enclave finally crapped out.  I jumped her off and because I didn't have any tools with me, followed her to the Autozone so she could have them change the battery out.

She bought the battery, opened the hood, and the guy goes, "Where's the battery?"  I look - fuse block, no battery.

Turns out, the battery is in a hole in the floor of the passenger compartment behind the passenger seat.  To get to it, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward, the middle row seat all the way back, and unscrew a carpeted cover plate.  The hole in the floor is just barely big enough to hold the battery, so to take the cable ends loose requires stubby little open-end wrenches and the agility of a monkey.  Because the battery ends flop back in once you get the old battery out, putting the new battery in requires four hands - one to hold the positive cable out of the way, one to hold the negative cable out of the way, and two to hoist the new battery down into the hole in the floor.

View Quote

I'll see you and raise you a Dodge Journey. Damn battery is in the damn driver side wheel well. Gotta remove the damn wheel, the damn liner, and get the battery out with stubby wrenches that spark on every damn thing in there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll see you and raise you a Dodge Journey. Damn battery is in the damn driver side wheel well. Gotta remove the damn wheel, the damn liner, and get the battery out with stubby wrenches that spark on every damn thing in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone I know leased one. It was the biggest POS they ever had. She couldn’t get it back to them fast enough.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#39]
The oil filter location on the early model Toyota Camry's.

Some engineer thought it would be a great idea to have it facing down and towards the engine block at a 45 degree angle.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy fuck, yes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#41]
The Brownell’s website.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Baby Makin’

It’s like we wuz tricked or some shit!

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#43]
The United States government.

What a shit show.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]
All Ford Motor Company products, 1995-2010
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#45]
2006 Prius headlight assembly.  Supposed to pull the assembly to change the bulb, but with a dental mirror and a LOT of swear words, it can be done without doing so.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#46]
"Snail" chain adjusters on motorcycles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dominion election software?
View Quote

It's apparently pretty good at what it was designed to do.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Any thing made by Wheeler Engineering.......

Level, level, levels that no 2 match...
Roll pin insertion punches that the hole in the tip are way to large.

Never again !
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Election security protocols
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original iMac mouse.  i.e., This little piece of garbage:

When Steve Jobs introduced it, he said it was the "coolest mouse on the planet."  And perhaps it was, because it was transparent and had a unique round shape.  But pretty and cool shouldn't be the top priorities for a human interface device.  Functional and intuitive should probably be up there, though.

It was perhaps the low point of Apple design.  Why?  Because it was round.  

Whether or not you have been consciously aware of it, the oblong shape of a mouse automatically orients you to the direction it will move the cursor on the screen as soon as you grasp it.  You intuitively know which way to move it to move the cursor up/down or left/right.  The directions are relative to the long axis.  The round shape of the iMac's mouse fucked this intuitive positioning.  You'd grab it and move in one direction and the cursor would take off in a different, unexpected direction...and then you had to adjust.  Or you had to feel for the wire.  Or look at the fucking thing and twist it around every time you sat down.  Bonus, it was far less ergonomic for resting your hand.

When Michael Fassbender was shown practicing the iMac reveal in the Steve Jobs movie, the one part they left out was Jobs bragging about that cool mouse.  Guess why.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top