Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 7:48:33 PM EDT
Today’s launch reminded me of how much I want a Speedmaster Moon Watch, but I can’t bring myself to drop the coin right now. Then I remembered Fortis and Bulova and a few others have been in space. The Bulova has the benefit of being 45mm, which is in my wheelhouse.

Thoughts on the Bulova Lunar Pilot?

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I love that watch. Good choice. But get both!

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Eventually I’ll get the Omega, but as a holdover I’m snagging one of these.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The Bulova has a pretty long flat LTL... might consider trying one in person before buying.
My 7.25” wrist can handle a 47mm Pam case, but the Bulova overhung my wrist uncomfortably... I sold mine on in just a few days.
I wish it were a bit smaller LTL, or just curved downward a bit... was a dang nice watch but wore like a board.

Also... Seiko Pogue has valid space history.  I lucked into one a year or two ago for under 250$ in decent shape.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Anything you buy as a hold over just delays the thing you actually want.

I wear a seamaster and have wanted a new planet ocean for a while. Not sure why. AnywY I was debating getting one of those nicer $400 clones. I realized that every time I looked at it, I would know it wasn’t the thing I actually wanted. Plus I would be further away financially.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything you buy as a hold over just delays the thing you actually want.

I wear a seamaster and have wanted a new planet ocean for a while. Not sure why. AnywY I was debating getting one of those nicer $400 clones. I realized that every time I looked at it, I would know it wasn’t the thing I actually wanted. Plus I would be further away financially.
View Quote

I looked at the clones too for a minute and came to the same conclusion.  It would bother me even though they appear to be nicely made watches. I already have an SMP so instead of a PO clone I got a quartz Tag. Great watch, love it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Looked the history up of the watches as I wasn't familiar with it and found this statement interesting.

"Not only was a Bulova wristwatch worn on the Moon but it replaced a broken Speedmaster."

Supposedly, the crystal popped of Col. Scott's issued Omega prior to launch and he substituted his personal Bulova.  The Bulova later sold for $1.6 million.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Casio DW5600
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm rockin a Fortis Mechanical Alarm Chrono.

But I lust for a Speedmaster.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Casio DW5600
View Quote

Watches have hands!

SHAME SHAME SHAME!
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bulova, and while I like it, my Dan Henry 1962 feels a lot more Speedyish. I feel like I would probably like the Bulova more if it wasn't so damn big.

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#11]
SpaceX guys (at least one of them) wear the Omega X33 Skywalker.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-omega-speedmaster-x-33-skywalker
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I always think of the Speedmaster Automatics as the “poor man’s Speedmaster.”

That Bulova has its own space history, like Smiths does with Everest. Definitely a worthy addition to a collection that includes quartz.

My “Poor Man’s Speedmaster.”
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty sure the Bulova that was in space was a hand wound one of a kind watch. Bulova only released their's after the original was sold by the family at auction. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure the Bulova that was in space was a hand wound one of a kind watch. Bulova only released their's after the original was sold by the family at auction. I could be wrong.
View Quote

I see them all as marketing tributes.

ETA: My “sapphire sandwich.”

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83325/CF5A6373-CE83-47FB-9E71-9C35CCB24D77-1395690.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83325/CF5A6373-CE83-47FB-9E71-9C35CCB24D77-1395690.jpg

It is just interesting that the Bulova watch that went to space was never a production watch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top