Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2019 10:54:43 AM EDT
I watched this last night with my wife. Initial thoughts, entertainment value (Moderate). SHTF food for thought, (Below Zero). Probably the thing I appreciated the most about the movie was my wife's comment afterword. "I liked it". While I would love to say I share my wife's thoughts, I do not. It's at least encouraging to see the wife get into one of my favorite genres of the movie industry. I personally thought it was terrible. The over-done "Women hear me roar" thing just slays me. Don't get me wrong, women are awesome and no I am not sexist. What slays me the most, *Spoiler Alert* is the main character, the blonde chick, goes from being so hopelessly doomed if left to her own devices, to venerated combat god in a split second. This chick, during times of attack or great stress would put on headphones, literally curls up in a corner on the floor and waits while her husband risks his life to take on two extremely dangerous and violent men by himself. So, at the beginning of the flick, she's hopelessly inept and afraid of her own shadow. So much so, she still doesn't even know how to shoot a gun months or years into this SHTF scenario. Then, towards the end she is running and gunning and slaying baddy's with reckless abandon like she had been doing it all along.

Again, not a sexist here. I know some deadly female shooters. Thing is though, THEY PRACTICE! They train. They take their own personal skill and safety seriously. They don't need to be the damsel in distress because they literally have taken ownership of the situation and they are training themselves. This is the whole, "Rise to the Occasion" trope I am so tired of. The main character, the blonde chick, goes from absolute BELOW zero, to HERO. Afraid of her own shadow, to running a lever action rifle and slaying hardened gangsters wielding automatic weapons. Just irritating is all. Curious on your thoughts.

Poll incoming.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen it. But, your description sounds inconsistent. First you say that she is basically a pathetic, worthless (my words, not yours, but based on your description) invalid, then immediately the next split second becomes a battle hardened warrior. Yet you later mention that she changes after several months. So, which is it? Does she change in a split second, or after months? If it is after months, then I can understand how a meek person who is exposed to the harshness of living a disaster can lose the fear and meekness after exposure to evil people and evil things that they do. That sounds believable to me. Given exposure to the harshest and most vile of people, even the meekest will adapt and their anger and hate will push them to commit to killing and other violent acts that were previously unthinkable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top