Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/21/2018 8:59:15 AM EDT
I've had 3 dealings with the police since February. None have been anything I did wrong. All were unrelated. One involved a peeping Tom in my window, another involved an unprovoked assault on my property, and the third is because I called animal control on the neighbor's chickens that are tearing up my yard and I only called them after a year of dealing directly with the neighbor.

The first two instances they barely asked for my name. On the assault I think they did ask for my birthday. And that one involved me having a gun and the guy having a psychotic episode begging me to shoot him.

But when the animal control officer came out she said she had to take a picture of me and she also said I had to give her my SSN. I saw on the form there was a section for it.

Is that not odd??  She took the picture of me before I even knew what was going on.

ETA:

They were all from the same Sheriff's office.  Animal Control is part of the office and as far as I know they are sworn peace officers too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you take a picture of her and ask for her SS# as well? Fair is fair.

(What ended up happening with the neighbor with the wacko son, by the way?)
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Was it even a police officer? Around here animal control officers are not police officers..
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you take a picture of her and ask for her SS# as well? Fair is fair.
View Quote
Pretty much this
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
SSN is not allowed to be used for ID.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
What's weird about it?

If I'm taking any sort of police report your SSN goes on it.
I always ask people for it because it's easiest. Some ask if they have to give it and I tell them there's dozens of ways I can get it. As soon as I run your Id number, license plate, name and dob, address, etc it will show me your SSN.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not giving my SSN up that easy...   How many people will see that form???

I could see if you were being arrested, but for some shit like that...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was it even a police officer? Around here animal control officers are not police officers..
View Quote
I don't know what it is like for OP but around here Animal Control is basically just some guy they contract for the work.  Anyone can do it.  No, you can't have my SSN and please don't take my picture, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not uncommon to run a check for wants and warrants on people who are making a complaint.  You'd be amazed at how many your get that way.  Photos are a wee bit of a new thing for me.  Seems to me that would really hamper the flow of information from the complainant and the responding officer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd have taken a pic of her and said you upload mine to your site and i'll find a site to upload yours sweetheart.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn’t give my SSN to animal control, yet alone a cop (even if they can see it). All they need is my state ID and I have no problem giving that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Dibs on guns, and beware the black helicopters.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doesn't stop anyone from asking for it... but just because they ask for it doesn't mean you have to (or should) give it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, no way do I give my ssn out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If it's on the form, chances are he/she was just doing their job. Why be a dick to the officer? Call the department and complain to someone with some authority.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nope, no way do I give my ssn out.
View Quote
I hope you mean in dealing with LE.  If not, of course you do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, but it's commonly used in addition to.

We write all our reports like "mr. smith, who was later identified via his Ohio driver's license, SSN, and former mugshot,...."
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If it's on the form, chances are he/she was just doing their job. Why be a dick to the officer? Call the department and complain to someone with some authority.
View Quote
That's what I'm thinking about doing, so I wanted to ask if this was really odd or not.

I just went along with it.  Didn't give her a hard time.  I really wanted to get the chicken situation under control.  Just spent a lot of money and several hours redoing the landscaping from when they destroyed it last year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had a few speeding tickets in my life as a teen and as such have dealt with a few police officers regarding that.  No-one even asked for my SSN or took my picture.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn where do you live man
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Your papers, bitte.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking about doing, so I wanted to ask if this was really odd or not.

I just went along with it.  Didn't give her a hard time.  I really wanted to get the chicken situation under control.  Just spent a lot of money and several hours redoing the landscaping from when they destroyed it last year.
View Quote
Troll thread? You called animal control over chickens?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
never invite the man into your life
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#24]
That's some weird ass shit. I'd be pretty irritated with that
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a box for your SSN, they have to fill out the form, so they ask for your SSN.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#26]
You could always say no, however I understand lots of people are indoctrinated to feel uncomfortable telling the police "no."

If you want to mess with them and they took your photo with a cell phone do a FOIA request on the contents of said cellphone. Even if they used the a personal cell phone the fact they used it for their job makes it a legit target for FOIA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jimmy Carter changed that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is a box for your SSN, they have to fill out the form, so they ask for your SSN.

Not sure how complicated this is.
View Quote
"Sorry, ma'am, I'll pass on the SSN and photo op. The chickens are this way...."
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn where do you live man
View Quote
Out in the country.  I never thought I'd have issues like this out here.  

Grew up a few miles down the road.  This stuff never happened back then
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Chickens can really mess up a yard. I used to keep them for many years up until recently. Had lots of deep holes to fill in their pen area before we could mow there again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never given out my SSN, thats strange. We're told to guard our SSN. wtf?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Typically, if I run across someone who has enough backbone to say "no, thanks" to a request for a SSN then I'm fairly confident they have at least most of their shit squared away.  You can do your warrant check from a driver's license or state ID.  We can do it from even less, like a name, but that can be problematic.  I'm not a big fan of using SSN's on anything.  I don't give mine out all the time, either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#34]
1. Get a dog that likes to eat chickens.  
2. Place dog on tie-out along property line.
3. ???
4. Profit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Chickens can really mess up a yard. I used to keep them for many years up until recently. Had lots of deep holes to fill in their pen area before we could mow there again.
View Quote
Then you had too many chickens for the area.

I've got just under 100 that free range and they don't really do any big damage
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Meh, it's on all of our forms. I only ask for it when I make an arrest or the person is dead. I'm not giving it to an ACO.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  It sounds stupid.  But the lady behind me has a couple dozen chickens and a couple dozen ducks that she lets roam.  The tore the ever living shit out of my yard last year.  I tried dealing with her directly but she didn't care and stopped responding so I didn't have any other choice.  Deputy didn't take me seriously until I showed her some pictures and video...

And before anyone says I could be having free chicken and duck, no, not an option.  This lady is nasty and doesn't believe in vaccinating any of her livestock.  Not to mention all the pesticide and weed killer granules they ate out of my yard.  

Attachment Attached File

And the following pictures are after I filled in the holes, but hadn't fixed all the weed barrier they tore up. I wish I had more pictures of all the damage.  It was bad.  I'm trying to get it nipped in the butt before it gets this bad again.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Just say you don't know it. It's an easy, non confrontational out.

I'd be willing to bet more people the police deal with don't actually know it than do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's weird about it?

I always ask people for it because it's easiest. Some ask if they have to give it and I tell them there's dozens of ways I can get it. As soon as I run your Id number, license plate, name and dob, address, etc it will show me your SSN.
View Quote
Fine.  Get it yourself then.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#40]
i don't have my SSN memorized and not even sure where my card is so...... i could guess?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just say you don't know it. It's an easy, non confrontational out.

I'd be willing to bet more people the police deal with don't actually know it than do.
View Quote
I don't know why I've never thought of that.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And before anyone says I could be having free chicken and duck, no, not an option.  This lady is nasty and doesn't believe in vaccinating any of her livestock.  Not to mention all the pesticide and weed killer granules they ate out of my yard.  
View Quote

Suppressed .22, dump the carcass a good distance away in an unpopulated area.  Coyotes and vultures gotta eat too.

If neighbor says anything about birds disappearing just mention that you've coyotes talking at night recently.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's weird about it?

View Quote
This.

Not sure why the photo in this particular case if you weren't injured at all, but in any report I take where there was a physical injury (say someone punched you), I take two photos and attach them to the report - one of the injury, and one of your face so that you are actually connected with the injuries if it goes to court.

But again, I don't know why a photo would be taken in this case based on what you said.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#44]
So, did the Sheriff Department’s Animal Control officer round up the chickens and take them in?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Doesn't stop anyone from asking for it... but just because they ask for it doesn't mean you have to (or should) give it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never gotten mad because someone didn't give me their social - that's their right.  I often ask for it out the gate because in the hood EVERYONE knows their social (gotta know it to get that govt cheese) and it's usually faster to look someone up via social than by last name and DOB or fishing out a DL number.  But I can work with whatever you feel most comfortable giving me.

But from a practical standpoint, people should be aware that I can see your SSN no matter how I look you up - if I look you up by name and DOB it will give me your DL# and SSN too.  Similarly, if I look you up by social, it will give me your DL# and name/DOB.  Everything is cross referenced in NCIC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's weird about it?

View Quote
I wouldn’t. It’s not a valid ID. Fine, do your job, pull up the info a different way. I don’t give out my ssn.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So, did the Sheriff Department’s Animal Control officer round up the chickens and take them in?
View Quote
No, just gave her citation.  They were out last fall and she stopped letting them out after they gave her a warning.

But I guess she ran out of Fucks to give.  Hell there has been at least one chicken out every day since they gave her the first citation.  I've been calling AC and letting them know.  I'm assuming they are just racking up citations on her.

She thinks she's about to move out of state, so I'm guessing she thinks she'll never have to pay the tickets.  But she let her house fall into such shambles that it's going to take a long time to sell it.  And she's expecting top dollar.  My other neighbor has been inside and said it was BAD.

The house isn't even that old.  It was a really, really nice place.  But she bought it and never took care of it.  Refuses to even use the air conditioning and they leave the windows open all the time, even when it rains.  Other neighbor said there is water damage everywhere, from plumbing damage and open windows.  It'll be hard to pass inspection.

I've seen the Servpro vans in and out of there a lot.  There's no telling what all damage has been done to it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So, did the Sheriff Department's Animal Control officer round up the chickens and take them in?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because "Are you a Jew?" was on another form for people "just doing their job" and some of us remember that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I would be looking up new recipes for chicken
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top