Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 10:05:17 PM EDT
I have a oak tree  which I trim with manual pole saw that has a hook and blade activated by a rope.  

The saw is 12 feet at most and cutting top branches are getting tricky even with a ladder. I'd like to try a powered saw to make it easier so any recommendations?

I've looked them up but looking for real reviews from actual users.

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
corded, cordless or gas?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, cordless or gas.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Just as a side note. To avoid those jaggies on the bottom of your limb cut, make an undercut first. I try to cut 10-20% undercut first then move to the top. Also avoids pinching the bar in your cut. Btdt and is no fun.

I have a stihl 131 that extends WAY on out there but extended its seriously heavy. (Heavy unextended too but the extra leverage of extending it another 5-6 feet is crazy).  

I really wouldn’t recommend it especially if you currently have a 12’ saw and still need to work from a ladder.  I use mine around my 38 acres to trim broken limbs or cut into clusters of locust all from the ground.

Frankly it sounds like renting a lift might be your best option. Know you didn’t want that response.

Soo that said. When you go shopping try the pole saw fully extended and get a realistic feel for the weight. I sprang for the full chest/shoulder harness and it’s still a real back workout every time I use it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on the previous post.  I to have a Stihl HT 131.  It does the intended job well.  Extended, it takes some strength and is a bit to handle.  

I used to ladder and chain saw the offending branches.  No more.  The pole saw is far cheaper than the ER.  

As mentioned, a small undercut then the top cut.  If you have a good eye you can get perfect cuts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.  To be clear this is a Live Oak I have and around here people keep them trimmed and shaped and mostly around 12-15 feet tall at most.  I didn't want one but the wife thinks its easy to shape like a hedge.  I can keep using my extendable pole saw or rent a powered one to try.  The other option is a guy who trims palm trees and he has a cherry picker and can easily get the top but I think he also mentioned that the cuts would not be clean.  However since its the new growth that is getting trimmed it's not like the branches are thick anyway.  Thanks for your replies, always helpful and appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  To be clear this is a Live Oak I have and around here people keep them trimmed and shaped and mostly around 12-15 feet tall at most.  I didn't want one but the wife thinks its easy to shape like a hedge.  I can keep using my extendable pole saw or rent a powered one to try.  The other option is a guy who trims palm trees and he has a cherry picker and can easily get the top but I think he also mentioned that the cuts would not be clean.  However since its the new growth that is getting trimmed it's not like the branches are thick anyway.  Thanks for your replies, always helpful and appreciated.
View Quote

I frickin HATE those live oaks. We have a crap ton here and yes, most people keep them trimmed, but others let them go and they look like crap especially with all the moss hanging from them.
I bought a Poulan with an 8" bar. It works good but it's awkward cutting up high, and worse if you are on a ladder. As posted above, make an under cut on the limb if you can.
https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/Poulan-Pro-PP338PT-Chain-Saw/p10209.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Husky that has a weed eater attachment. But like someone mentioned, it can get heavy over your head. My advice on the Oak, cut it and plant something else. They are supposed to be big and they have a huge root ball.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a stihl HT131 that does everything I've asked it too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#12]
A "professional" pole saw will get you 20' easily.

I think Jameson is what I have.

Sections are 6'.

Not cheap.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top