Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2020 8:40:24 PM EDT
Can anyone give me a bit of advice.  I recently purchased a 2021 Polaris Ranger 500 and within 20 hours as I was driving it the other day it seemed to top out at 40 mph and lose power.  I smelled burning and heard a knocking coming from the engine.  Seems the bike lost all it's antifreeze although no leaks to be found.  Oil does not appear to be milky had the dealer come get it and will know more tomorrow.  Major bummer since we have 2 foot of snow coming on Wednesday and was getting ready to hook the plow to it today.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, tagged to see what dealer says.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ugh! I hope it wasn't a serious failure.

We are also supposed to get 15 to 18 inches of snow tomorrow into Thursday and I have a 750 ft driveway to plow.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Since it should be under warranty then the dealership is the only place for it. Look forward to knowing what the issue was.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it's under warranty, I'd consider shoveling a bonus over paying 6 grand for a new engine and labor.

My boss had 40 or 50 hours on his when it lunched, other then the cases, everything was replaced. They ate the entire cost. I want to say the oil pickup tube fell off or something else equally stupid was what he said failed. [his was the $$$ turbo beastie]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the call today from the dealership.  They ordered me a new engine, they pulled the oil pan and there were metal shavings all in it.  Dealership is doing me solid said they should have the engine within a week or two.  I want to call Polaris and ask for something to compensate me for the engine failing and the inconvenience of not having it to plow for the biggest snowstorm in years bearing down on us tomorrow.  Was going to ask for money for accessories but it seems their accessories are massively overpriced.  I already have both windshields, roof and a winch/plow combo.  Would like some lightbars but their stuff is 5x what I can get it for on Amazon or anywhere else.  Any input or advice would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got the call today from the dealership.  They ordered me a new engine, they pulled the oil pan and there were metal shavings all in it.  Dealership is doing me solid said they should have the engine within a week or two.  I want to call Polaris and ask for something to compensate me for the engine failing and the inconvenience of not having it to plow for the biggest snowstorm in years bearing down on us tomorrow.  Was going to ask for money for accessories but it seems their accessories are massively overpriced.  I already have both windshields, roof and a winch/plow combo.  Would like some lightbars but their stuff is 5x what I can get it for on Amazon or anywhere else.  Any input or advice would be helpful.
View Quote

Just let them fix it.

Yeah it sucks, be glad they are replacing the engine instead of ''kinda'' fixing it. Find out what failed if you can. Kind of interested if it's the pick up tube. Bosses ride was a 2020 or 21 he has not had it very long.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugh. Sorry you are going through this with a new UTV. My guess is that they won't provide you with "cash." They may either discount the price a bit and rebate a bit if you have paid in full or reduce the amount owed. As an alternative, I would just give them a list of accessories you want in compensation for the inconvenience...or ask them for a new UTV. After all, the value of your vehicle will drop when they change the engine out. If you are OK with getting the new engine then just tell them you want X accessories - let them worry about the cost since their cost is well below retail. Just some ideas.

We are looking at 12 to 18" of snow here or more. Just had my UTV serviced last month and glad I have it back in the barn and ready to go.

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You people are hard negotiators. I’d ask if I could have a loaner while mine is in the shop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ugh. Sorry you are going through this with a new UTV. My guess is that they won't provide you with "cash." They may either discount the price a bit and rebate a bit if you have paid in full or reduce the amount owed. As an alternative, I would just give them a list of accessories you want in compensation for the inconvenience...or ask them for a new UTV. After all, the value of your vehicle will drop when they change the engine out. If you are OK with getting the new engine then just tell them you want X accessories - let them worry about the cost since their cost is well below retail. Just some ideas.

We are looking at 12 to 18" of snow here or more. Just had my UTV serviced last month and glad I have it back in the barn and ready to go.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/130993/64569583_10216481085554425_3512567886965112832_o-1055366.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/130993/64569583_10216481085554425_3512567886965112832_o-1055366.jpg

Yea I am hoping to negotiate some credit out of them to get some accessories out of them
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Well it is a polaris I don't know you expected??
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well it is a polaris I don't know you expected??
View Quote

I know against my better judgement I bought a Polaris.  Was originally looking at a Honda Pioneer
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask for the 5 year warranty. They will do it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. I would definitely try to get them to give you the extended warranty for free or at a reduced rate if you don't already have it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree. I would definitely try to get them to give you the extended warranty for free or at a reduced rate if you don't already have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what im gonna ask for then, because im worried about resale value down the road
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
We have a 2018 Ranger 500 on our farm. No issues whatsoever and it gets used quite a bit. Great UTV.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't buy another Polaris anything the rest of my life.

I've been burned by them too many times.

My latest failed engineering project was a 2020 Rzr Pro.

Total garbage. Catastrophic clutch failure within 143 miles.

Seat latch failure on both sides

Door latch failure both sides

Air intake boot failure

Air filter seal failure

I can go on
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't buy another Polaris anything the rest of my life.

I've been burned by them too many times.

My latest failed engineering project was a 2020 Rzr Pro.

Total garbage. Catastrophic clutch failure within 143 miles.

Seat latch failure on both sides

Door latch failure both sides

Air intake boot failure

Air filter seal failure

I can go on
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Honda is always the answer.  

This from someone with a 2012 Kawasaki Teryx with no problems and a 2016 Yamaha 550 Grizzly that has had a few problems, mostly spark plugs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask for an upgraded warranty since your confidence is now shaken so badly. Either that or "shop dollars" you can use for service/parts/tires etc going forward.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]
my ranger 900 has been fantastic.  ive changed 2 cv boots is all.  

i had a polaris quad from the early 90's and it was complete shit.  i was hesitant to buy the ranger but for what i do, hunting, plowing, riding its been great.  my dad has a can am and his has been great also.  those are the 2 brands i would buy
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have a 2018 Ranger 500 on our farm. No issues whatsoever and it gets used quite a bit. Great UTV.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like my Polaris RZR 800

Not their top of the line by any means but it’s been very good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats what im gonna ask for then, because im worried about resale value down the road
View Quote

It's a polaris... there is no real resell value. Sad but very very true.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I am still abusing a 2004 Rhino. Finally had to do wheel bearings this year. Steering is getting a bit sloppy but the thing has never failed me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a polaris... there is no real resell value. Sad but very very true.
View Quote

Not always true.

In my area, used Polaris equipment maintains one of the highest resale values of all brands.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd prefer to get the extended warranty at the very least.  I don't plan on selling it, I usually buy stuff and run it until it dies.  I keep thinking if I was out in the woods somewhere with it when it decided to die that would \have sucked big ones.  I'm sure it was a fluke and the dealer seems to be on it as of right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
You should feel lucky. John Deere wouldn't even look at my Gator's engine. Mechanic checked the oil and said he found water in it and the top of the engine was muddy on top. He claimed I sunk it, even though the air filter box was clean. That was the extent of their diagnostics.

2 problems. I didn't sink it and there was zero oil to check. All the oil pissed out on the ground, two nights before.

Had to file an insurance claim.

There will not be another JD product in my yard.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You should feel lucky. John Deere wouldn't even look at my Gator's engine. Mechanic checked the oil and said he found water in it and the top of the engine was muddy on top. He claimed I sunk it, even though the air filter box was clean. That was the extent of their diagnostics.

2 problems. I didn't sink it and there was zero oil to check. All the oil pissed out on the ground, two nights before.

Had to file an insurance claim.

There will not be another JD product in my yard.
View Quote

Man that sucks sorry to hear.  The dealership has been on top of it so far, came and picked up the machine and called me the next morning after picking it up stating they ordered a new engine for me.  I can't complain they seem to be taking care of me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
You blew a drive belt
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here but a Ranger 570 mid-size. Used daily and no issues,
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should add that while we don't abuse the Ranger (or any other piece of equipment), it gets a lot of use doing farm chores, carries wood for the outdoor boiler, pulls small trailers around, and various other tasks. We've had it just over three years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. The only thing we did to it is swap out the tiny battery for something a little bigger. It gets cold around here for about four months and the stock battery just wasn't up to snuff.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Waiting on Polaris to ship the engine.  Dealer is gonna call them early next week and give me an update.  I asked if they knew what it was, dealer thinks it's a connecting rod but wont know for sure until they bust the engine open.  I guess they didn't want to start tearing the engine apart without the new one in hand.  This blows.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Waiting on Polaris to ship the engine.  Dealer is gonna call them early next week and give me an update.  I asked if they knew what it was, dealer thinks it's a connecting rod but wont know for sure until they bust the engine open.  I guess they didn't want to start tearing the engine apart without the new one in hand.  This blows.
View Quote

It’s frustrating but there are shortages of EVERYTHING in the power sports industry right now. Sounds like you have a good dealer though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’s frustrating but there are shortages of EVERYTHING in the power sports industry right now. Sounds like you have a good dealer though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dealer has been great to me thats part of the reason I am not blowing a gasket with this right now.  I called Monday in the morning and they came and picked it up that same day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#35]
My Can Am dealer says a large portion of his sales are from  pissed off former,polaris owners.
The only real problem  is too many are realizing this, and Can am products are getting harder to find, and more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Still waiting on an engine, talked to Polaris rep last week.  Approved the engine replacement and it is sitting waiting to clear customs, I have the utmost faith in customs clearing it in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Just called the dealership earlier in the day.  They received my engine yesterday and are in the process of replacing the engines.  Should have it back next week sometime.  They are going to take apart the old engine and see what failed.  Im interested in seeing what caused the engine to fail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Curious to know as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Curious to know as well.
View Quote

Got it back on Friday, they said the connecting rod bearing was bad and they replaced the engine.  While I was using it over the weekend it shut off on me when I put it in park and another time when it was idling yesterday.  Listening to the engine it sounds like it's missing or sputtering and a knock as well.  Not happy
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My Can Am dealer says a large portion of his sales are from  pissed off former,polaris owners.
The only real problem  is too many are realizing this, and Can am products are getting harder to find, and more expensive.
View Quote

I like my Can Am Maverick.  As far as the gator goes, John Deere should just bail on that POS and stick to making what they know.  A friend has a gator, cab, A/C and the steering completely broke.  I think it failed at the sttering rack and had it failed at speed it could have been a disaster.  They wouldn't stand behind it at all and I think it cost him over a grand.  I think the issue is compared to what all the other equipment costs, the gator is insignificant and the dealer could care less.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Got it back on Friday, they said the connecting rod bearing was bad and they replaced the engine.  While I was using it over the weekend it shut off on me when I put it in park and another time when it was idling yesterday.  Listening to the engine it sounds like it's missing or sputtering and a knock as well.  Not happy
View Quote

I’d bring it back to the dealership. Polaris makes a lot of machines so it stands to reason they are going to have some issues from time to time. Most people don’t have issues and love their Polaris vehicles. I love my RZR 800. However, sounds like you might have got a lemon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’d bring it back to the dealership. Polaris makes a lot of machines so it stands to reason they are going to have some issues from time to time. Most people don’t have issues and love their Polaris vehicles. I love my RZR 800. However, sounds like you might have got a lemon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say so, it shut off today trying to hook up my plow.  As long as they are willing to take care of it I have no issue.  I want a new machine though, this thing is cursed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top