Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 12:31:01 PM EDT
My girlfriend has been dreaming about a camera.

I don’t know much about them, but I do know that she has been looking for one with a flip up screen and a big sensor for good image quality.

I think she has been looking at the Canon G5x and G7x. Also, some Sony.

What do y’all suggest?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know anything about the Canons, but I have the Sony RX-100II, and it's been great.  Mine is an earlier model, and I've had it for a few years.  It doesn't have an electronic view finder, but the image quality is good.  It's not a substitute for a full DSLR kit, but it's nice to have a "pocket camera" that has the ability to shoot in the raw format.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I will say Sonys have FANTASTIC sensors.  Even moreso when you consider the quality to sensor size ratio.

I'd recommend looking at mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses.  They function as a point and shoot and some of the newer ones are rather feature packed.  Sony has a lot of lenses, but not quite as many as Canon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hunter8793: What is your budget on such a camera? And what is she going to shoot?

I have a compact pocket-size 24-200mm Sony RX100-7 and a 24-600mm zoom Sony RX10-4, both of these are the current models from Sony, and they meet my needs because I photograph/video at my local high school theater performances of  an unamplified violin or vocalist solo where the silent electronic shutter are a must. They both have a 1" sensor.

Don't personally know anything about the 2 Canons you mentioned, but I understand from the Youtube reviews, that people who have them they are quite good, and they cost way less than my 2 Sonys. Also there are less expensive versions of both Sonys, if you don't need the latest and greatest.

The only drawback I see about the Sonys is the complex and convoluted menus; they have lots of  names, but they are kind of cryptic on describing the functions, so you must invest a bit of time in trying to figure them out.

Sony has their mirrorless interchangeable lens  A6x00 line, which are APS-C/DX which are quite good, but then again, depends on how much money you want to spend. The functions of the A6x00 and RX10 overlap.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
There is so much to choose from it will make you crazy. I pretty much only know Nikon but i have to comment on Sony. A couple of my friends were starting out and bought Sony a6000 bundles against my recommendation. I can't help but think it was internet research that led them to buy such, total crap for the money!

Without knowing your budget or what kind of images she wants to make, i suggest a used Nikon D7100 and a used Nikon 24-85 f3.5/4.5 VR lens. That will beat any entry level bundle by far, for less money, just find a reputable used photo store or ebay seller that offers returns.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My D500 is the first camera I've ever had that had a tilting LCD.

I have NEVER used it.  But I'm a die-hard optical viewfinder guy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is so much to choose from it will make you crazy. I pretty much only know Nikon but i have to comment on Sony. A couple of my friends were starting out and bought Sony a6000 bundles against my recommendation. I can't help but think it was internet research that led them to buy such, total crap for the money!

Without knowing your budget or what kind of images she wants to make, i suggest a used Nikon D7100 and a used Nikon 24-85 f3.5/4.5 VR lens. That will beat any entry level bundle by far, for less money, just find a reputable used photo store or ebay seller that offers returns.

View Quote

Look to KEH, Adorama, or B&H for used gear.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Budget is around $500.

She wants the tilting screen so she can do selfies...

She has been looking at the Canon G7x Mark II

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget is around $500.

She wants the tilting screen so she can do selfies...

She has been looking at the Canon G7x Mark II
View Quote
Looks like your choice is the G7x
Just a FYI, the early Sony RX100s had problem of overheating sensor in video mode, my RX100-7 doesn't have that problem
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top