Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2022 3:01:58 PM EDT
1992 Ford F-250 7.3 diesel long bed

Currently on it LT235/85 R16

The current tires have been on it since at least 2008. It was my folks work truck for hauling 6 horse trailer. They gave it to me when they got a new F350.

I drove it maybe 1 or 2x a month until about 2.5 years ago when I parked it due to fuel leak. Recently had her brought back to life. She still needs tires tho.

Kinda slick and evidence of dry rot.

I want something a little bit more aggressive than the current tires. Its not a 4x4 so I dont need mudders, but still, something a little more.

thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t go wrong with BFG KO2s.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cooper makes good tires .
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Have KO2's on one truck and Hankook on another one. They are both good. Might be able to get the BFG's at Costco and Discount should have both.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have BFG A/T’s on the truck. Second set. Love ‘em! I tried Coopers on the Jeep. I won’t make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Hankook AT could be good for you.

- GM has a fall tire sale and rebate, check that out. It can be an amazing deal.
- If you find that size limited in choice, check 265/75-16, which is equivalent diameter and more common. May be a lot cheaper because of that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I am super happy with my Toyo AT3's on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel 4x4 I put on about Jan of 2020. The couple of times we had snow and ice they gripped like tiger paws. Ride great. I used to have BFG TKO's (?) and they were great, but heard they were considered old tech now. So I went with Toyo's on ARFs recommendation. Had General Grabbers prior to the Toyos and they were D's and should have been Es. They were squirrely but I had to grab what was avialable when I put them on. They were less expensive too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
No more than you’re driving it, I think General Grabbers or a cheap A/T would work fine.

If you need traction then chain up
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No more than you’re driving it, I think General Grabbers or a cheap A/T would work fine.

If you need traction then chain up
View Quote

I'm in North Alabama. Its not often we have to chain up! Ive lived in Alabama my whole life and only remember once in the late 70s my grandfather put chains on a tire. Havent seen them on tires except when I was in Great Mistakes for boot.

However I do like to go ride down by the Tennessee on occasion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
What you want are Continental TerrainContact tires. Have them on my truck. They are 98% of a Michelin Tire at about 75 to 80 % of Michelin cost. Good quiet all weather tread on them. They ride and wet handle way better than the BFG's that came on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]
KO2's would look great on that truck...

Got 60k on my current set on a half ton Suburban, and probably have another 20k left in them if they keep wearing at the same rate as the first 60k...they ARE starting to get loud now though.  So I may take them off and sell them while they're still have life in them. I see them used on craigslist for ridiculous pricing...and they don't seem to stick around long.  

Keep your eye on different sizes that are close to your size too.  My specific size the vehicle called for was $240/tire on tirerack, but one size up in sidewall height, same tread width, was $185/tire.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discoverer® AT3 LT™
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Im searching for tires right now as well.  Down to General Grabber ATX and Falken Wildpeak AT3.

My 2021 F150 came with hankook.  Damn near bald at 35K.  I would never spend a nickel on their stuff again.  The only tires I had that I liked less were Michelins because were so expensive and were almost useless unless they were on dry pavement.  $1200 and they started slipping if it was cloudy out.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Falken Wildpeak AT3. I have a set on my truck that I plow with in the winter and they did great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Some good options posted. I *personally* would think the cost for BFGs in the spec the truck needs are too expensive for the use and life OP would get out of them.

I would say go to tirerack, put in the size needed for the truck and take a look at the brands and model’s mentioned here and see what level of aggressiveness you want.

https://m.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/mobile/en/tires/by-brand.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#16]
General Grabber AT2 have been my all time favorite tire for my F150.  I believe they changed the name of that model, I need to figure out the current equivalent.

I have the Wildpeak AT3 now and I will not be buying another set.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like my cooper discoverer at3 or whatever. I have the 4 season compound on my 2wd.

Had General grabbers before- the generals looked better, but the cooper's perform better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top