Quoted:
Four Roses Bourbon.
View Quote

This is good stuff
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By and large the crowd favorite seem to be Woodford Reserve, and Makers Mark for a wheater.

Both are low proof, blended for consistency, and considered excellent starter Bourbons.
Both are reasonable priced and available everywhere.

I prefer Buffalo trace  over either but availability is ridiculously inconsistent from market to market.
View Quote

Seconded. Woodford Reserve, Maker’s, and Buffalo Trace are all good quality bourbons.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I started on Buffalo Trace and it’s been my go to casual of choice since. Enjoying one right now actually.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Maker's Mark.  It was created to be a smooth, easy to drink bourbon.

BT is very good also.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Maker’s 46 is much sweeter than the regular MM if that is something you are interested in. It’s definitely like drinking a dessert.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad this is here.. I've started to venture into the Whiskey / Bourbon game, and I started with Buffalo Trace followed by Makers Mark, no complaints.

But I'll admit I don't know what I'm looking to taste with them OR what I should be expecting from them??  IF that makes sense.  I'm pretty much picking them based on how the bottle looks or a name I've heard.  Maybe not the best way to start

I'm usually 2 or 3 fingers in a rocks glass with 3 or 4 small ice cubes
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad this is here.. I've started to venture into the Whiskey / Bourbon game, and I started with Buffalo Trace followed by Makers Mark, no complaints.

But I'll admit I don't know what I'm looking to taste with them OR what I should be expecting from them??  IF that makes sense.  I'm pretty much picking them based on how the bottle looks or a name I've heard.  Maybe not the best way to start

I'm usually 2 or 3 fingers in a rocks glass with 3 or 4 small ice cubes
View Quote

Since bourbon has to be at least 51% corn and aged in new charred oak barrels, you’ll have varying levels of sweetness. High rye bourbons will have a peppery spice to them, low ryes will have less spicy notes. Wheated bourbons will be sweet because of wheat taking place of the rye.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Crown Royal smooth!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maker’s 46 is much sweeter than the regular MM if that is something you are interested in. It’s definitely like drinking a dessert.
View Quote

I personally like the MM 46 better than the basic MM.  Don't have either in stock now as I have gone to the 101 and the cask strength.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Bourbon newb here but Woodford Reserve Double-oaked is a really smooth and smokey choice. I prefer it over Bulleit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to be the jerk here, because that is kind of my lot in life, but also because understanding what to expect from spirits is a good thing

Smooth, isn't a flavor, and all Alcohol will have some burn to it.

No matter how much you drink or how used to alcohol you are, the first few touches of ethanol on your tongue will have some burn. That's just a natural physical response to ethanol. Ethanol dries out cell tissue and will cause a tingle or astringency. That quickly will go away after a sip or two. Just know its always going to be there. Take a first taste roll it over your tongue breath in through your nose while your mouth is a little open and let that go away. Then try another sip. After a few, you'll start to actually get the real flavors of the spirit. Most of what people call "smooth" are things that are so diluted that you've dulled the ethanol burn (as well as the cogeners that actualy carry flavor, or things that are full fo sweeteners like many rums or flavored drinks.

Instead of any one product, I recommend seeing if you have any spirit enthusiast friends or a good whiskey centric bar around and sitting down and doing a real tasting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I do have some friends who dabble in bourbon drinking. I have been meaning to link up with them but it's been impossible lately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to be the jerk here, because that is kind of my lot in life, but also because understanding what to expect from spirits is a good thing

Smooth, isn't a flavor, and all Alcohol will have some burn to it.

No matter how much you drink or how used to alcohol you are, the first few touches of ethanol on your tongue will have some burn. That's just a natural physical response to ethanol. Ethanol dries out cell tissue and will cause a tingle or astringency. That quickly will go away after a sip or two. Just know its always going to be there. Take a first taste roll it over your tongue breath in through your nose while your mouth is a little open and let that go away. Then try another sip. After a few, you'll start to actually get the real flavors of the spirit. Most of what people call "smooth" are things that are so diluted that you've dulled the ethanol burn (as well as the cogeners that actualy carry flavor, or things that are full fo sweeteners like many rums or flavored drinks.

Instead of any one product, I recommend seeing if you have any spirit enthusiast friends or a good whiskey centric bar around and sitting down and doing a real tasting.

Thanks.

I do have some friends who dabble in bourbon drinking. I have been meaning to link up with them but it's been impossible lately.

Yea as our mexi-juice guru says, smooth is at this point a selling "buzzword" .... to me a good intro is makers 46, or any other wheated bourbon, they are a sweeter type that lets your taste transition to the oakier and "spicer" (spice, not heat) bourbon, especiallyif your used to the modern mixed drinks with sugar.....

Makers
Makers 46
Larceny
Weller (if you can find it)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try Maker's Mark.  It was created to be a smooth, easy to drink bourbon.

BT is very good also.
View Quote

I keep notes on what I try and Makers Mark is by baseline bourbon.  For a starter though I'd recommend Evan Williams Sing Barrel Vintage.  It's priced lower than Makers and while it's a perfectly fine bourbon it's not quite a strong flavor as Makers.  I think it would be a

better start for someone not familiar with whiskey / bourbon then take it from there.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#22]
For $20ish or less bucks:

Early Times Bottled in Bond, larceny, Ezra brooks, 1792 small batch, Very Old Barton 86 or 100, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, Buffalo Trace.. the list can go on and on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#25]
MM46 is amazing bang for the buck.  I’ve seen it for $30.

If you want smooth you should try Basil Hayden. It should be like $40

If you want to put some hair on your chest and experience bourbon, get Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. It is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I strongly recommend Basil Hayden Dark Rye. It’s delicious and a very good value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top