User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2020 11:51:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quadratic formula.  

x =  (-b +/- sqrt(b^2-4ac)) / 2a
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream; merrily merrily merrily merrily; life is but a dream

equals [negative b], plus or minus square root; [b] squared minus four [ac] all-over two [a]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolfram alpha helped show me the way since I forgot about the whole completing the square thing

First I let Rred sys be X, and Rsys be Y, for cleanliness because my handwriting sucks. Then add 1 to each side.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That said, I do not know why the author chose the second solution in each case.

Edit: Fixed the first image; I had accidentally cropped out the first couple of lines, which are probably kind of round-a-bout and dopey anyways...but it works out in that it allows you to complete the square, so...

BTW, I think the image in the OP has a typo; should be 3.16E-5 and not 3.6E-5. Perhaps an intentional error to catch copypasta solutions?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

That said, I do not know why the author chose the second solution in each case.
View Quote

Looks like R is a reliability figure.  If you used the first possible solution to the quadratic equation, you'd get a reliability figure greater than 1, which is outside the possible range of answers.  Otherwise, what IS a negative probability of failure?

Note - just because a quadratic allows more than one answer, doesn't mean that all of them can actually exist in a physical system.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks like R is a reliability figure.  If you used the first possible solution to the quadratic equation, you'd get a reliability figure greater than 1, which is outside the possible range of answers.  Otherwise, what IS a negative probability of failure?

Note - just because a quadratic allows more than one answer, doesn't mean that all of them can actually exist in a physical system.

Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

That said, I do not know why the author chose the second solution in each case.

Mike

This.
It  is one of those places that 'Engineering Math' is used instead of purely 'academic' math.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top