Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 1:47:01 AM EDT
Looking at a Hobart 12ci, How reliable are internal air compressors?

On paper it's just powerful enough for my needs and the interweb reviews make it seem a relatively good performer.  
I'd love to get one size larger, but then I'd need a compressor, etc. and the total cost more than doubles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a Hobart.  Have a backup plan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
you need a compressor anyway. keep saving your money till you can get what you need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Night and day difference using my run of the mill 60 gallon 11~12 CFM at 90 psi compressor with Lincoln Tomahawk 375.
 Look at CL to find a decent used compressor..
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Night and day difference using my run of the mill 60 gallon 11~12 CFM at 90 psi compressor with Lincoln Tomahawk 375.
 Look at CL to find a decent used compressor..
View Quote
Difference from what?  a 110v plasma cutter - I  sure hope so!

Again, the little Hobart is powerful enough for what I need and I like that it's easily portable - I'm just wondering if the moving compressor parts are what breaks first?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Difference from what?  a 110v plasma cutter - I  sure hope so!

Again, the little Hobart is powerful enough for what I need and I like that it's easily portable - I'm just wondering if the moving compressor parts are what breaks first?
View Quote
The difference in that, the onboard compressor limited duty cycle and power quite significantly... so I would imagine the same for a 110 plasma cutter..
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought a HyperTherm PowerMax30 Air
from Welders Supply a couple years ago.
120/240v. Haven’t used it on too much but it seems to work just fine on sheet metal thru 3/8” thick steel.  
Only 2 complaints; the grounding lead could be more flexible (and detachable) and, unfortunately FWIW, my little Honda EU2000 will not run it even on a low setting.
Great quality and US made.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Hobart is owned by and made by Miller . We had a used Miller 110v plasma cutter with onboard air compressor. My son and I used it quite a bit for sheet metal cutting ( auto body ) for about two years and then sold it when we moved and down sized. We never had a problem and as far as I know the new owner still has it and is still working. The duty cycle on a 110 plasma is going to limit you more than the compressor should.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like something to rough cut curvy shapes (knife blanks) through 3/16-3/8” plate, even if it is really rough, as I can grind to precise shape w belt grinder, something that does not take an external air compressor as I am truing to acoid all that kit.  Or maybe id be beter off getting that floor stand metal band say HF sells...

Right now I zip disk cut, maybe w a few drilled holes and have to do ALOT of grinding.

@ me back if you have any thoughts.  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top