Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2021 5:15:15 PM EDT
Added two pipes & several bowls to my Falcon Pipe collection.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.

How do they smoke?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting.

How do they smoke?
View Quote

Cool & dry.  It can be used with or without the dry ring.
Attachment Attached File

It's the pipe brand that I use 95% of the time.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you order them from? I'm interested in trying a pipe, and "cool" and "dry" are two of my favorite words when it comes to smoking. What's the dry ring, and how often does it need to be replaced?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you order them from? I'm interested in trying a pipe, and "cool" and "dry" are two of my favorite words when it comes to smoking. What's the dry ring, and how often does it need to be replaced?

Thanks!
View Quote

@GreatDane
I ordered those from J Barber in England.  They have good prices, great service and a huge selection of in stock Falcon pipes & accessories.
If I was just starting out and/or only getting one pipe right now,  I would suggest that you order from one of the companies in the US that sell Falcon pipes.  
Give me a day and I'll work up a 1st timers purchase list from a US company for you.

This is the dry ring.  They come 25 to a pack.  You change them after every bowl.  Some people do not even use them.  Some just cut up pipe cleaners to use in their stead.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@GreatDane
...Give me a day and I'll work up a 1st timers purchase list from a US company for you.

This is the dry ring.  They come 25 to a pack.  You change them after every bowl.  Some people do not even use them.  Some just cut up pipe cleaners to use in their stead.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/falcon_w_dry_ring_jpg-2128169_jpg-2232949.JPG

View Quote

That'd be awesome, thank you! What are the black rings in the first pic in your OP? Just o-rings for the bowls?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That'd be awesome, thank you! What are the black rings in the first pic in your OP? Just o-rings for the bowls?
View Quote

Yes.  They go between the bowl and the metal part of the pipe to seal it.  All the new bowls come with them.  Older bowls do not have them.  
They are not available from any source in the US.  They are cheap to buy when you are already placing an order from England.  What you see is several lifetimes worth of the rings.  I bought extras to share.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.  They go between the bowl and the metal part of the pipe to seal it.  All the new bowls come with them.  Older bowls do not have them.  
They are not available from any source in the US.  They are cheap to buy when you are already placing an order from England.  What you see is several lifetimes worth of the rings.  I bought extras to share.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. Since I'll be buying new, I won't need one. Cool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Gotcha. Since I'll be buying new, I won't need one. Cool.
View Quote

@GreatDane

One FL company that I order from is completely out of Falcon stems.  Mars Cigar has a very limited stock.

Here's the best "Falcon Starter List" I could do with Mar's limited availability.

Attachment Attached File

Mars is out of dry rings.  If you do decide to buy a Falcon, IM me and I'll mail you some along with a few samples of different tobaccos to try.

EDIT:  Here's the English Shop I make my larger orders from.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
@WDEagle

Well, I think I'm just going to order from the British site... I have family over there that's coming to visit next month, so I'll just ship it to them.

Is there an advantage to the Meerschaum lined bowls?

Quoted:

@GreatDane

One FL company that I order from is completely out of Falcon stems.  Mars Cigar has a very limited stock.

Here's the best "Falcon Starter List" I could do with Mar's limited availability.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/pipe_JPG-2236215.JPG

Mars is out of dry rings.  If you do decide to buy a Falcon, IM me and I'll mail you some along with a few samples of different tobaccos to try.

EDIT:  Here's the English Shop I make my larger orders from.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@WDEagle

Well, I think I'm just going to order from the British site... I have family over there that's coming to visit next month, so I'll just ship it to them.

Is there an advantage to the Meerschaum lined bowls?

View Quote

WOW, Excellent!

I have a couple of the Meerschaum lined bowls.  To me the primary advantage is that the bowls stay cooler to the touch while smoking.  The disadvantages are that they are much more expensive & you lose a lot of tobacco volume in the bowl. I will probably never buy another one.  

A few more thoughts since you are ordering from there.

1.  You might consider adding an international stem to the order.  It takes the same bowls as the classis stem but adds a (in stem) filter option in addition to the dry ring.  The internationals are not as popular as the classics but I find them an excellent starter Falcon.

2.  I group bowl sizes into one of 3 categories.  Small, large, & chimney.  I prefer the large bowls especially the snifter.  You can fill them up for a long smoke or partially pack them for a quick smoke.  The chimneys are nice for a very long smoke but can be somewhat heavy.  I'd get at least one of the chimneys.

Attachment Attached File

3.  Be sure to pick up a pack of the seals.  The new bowls do come with seals but if you get the bowl too hot, they can sometimes be damaged.  Some new smokers can smoke too hot until they learn how to sip on a pipe.  These seals are cheap there and are unavailable in the US.

LMK if you want me to do a "James Barber" shopping list for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
@GreatDane

I forgot to @ you on the post above.  Adding an @ to an edit does not send out the notification.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

WOW, Excellent!

I have a couple of the Meerschaum lined bowls.  To me the primary advantage is that the bowls stay cooler to the touch while smoking.  The disadvantages are that they are much more expensive & you lose a lot of tobacco volume in the bowl. I will probably never buy another one.  

A few more thoughts since you are ordering from there.

1.  You might consider adding an international stem to the order.  It takes the same bowls as the classis stem but adds a (in stem) filter option in addition to the dry ring.  The internationals are not as popular as the classics but I find them an excellent starter Falcon.

https://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/int-straight-dental-stem.JPG

2.  I group bowl sizes into one of 3 categories.  Small, large, & chimney.  I prefer the large bowls especially the snifter.  You can fill them up for a long smoke or partially pack them for a quick smoke.  The chimneys are nice for a very long smoke but can be somewhat heavy.  I'd get at least one of the chimneys.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/falcon_large_bowls_JPG-2237076.JPG

3.  Be sure to pick up a pack of the seals.  The new bowls do come with seals but if you get the bowl too hot, they can sometimes be damaged.  Some new smokers can smoke too hot until they learn how to sip on a pipe.  These seals are cheap there and are unavailable in the US.

LMK if you want me to do a "James Barber" shopping list for you.
View Quote

@WDEagle

I appreciate the offer and the insights! The James Barber website, at least on mobile, is light on details. Do the International stems take the 6mm or 9mm filters?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as the shopping list...

I have 15 bowl seals, a rustic Sniftner bowl, a tall Chimney bowl, a standard bent stem, an International bent stem, some dry rings, a briar block pipe stand, and a "PT31" pipe tool. Sound good?

Edit: nevermind, VAT is more than shipping, I'll just have it sent directly to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad had a couple of these -I always thought they were cool looking - never knew what they were!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@WDEagle

I appreciate the offer and the insights! The James Barber website, at least on mobile, is light on details. Do the International stems take the 6mm or 9mm filters?
View Quote

6mm I just use Dr Grabow filters.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As far as the shopping list...

I have 15 bowl seals, a rustic Sniftner bowl, a tall Chimney bowl, a standard bent stem, an International bent stem, some dry rings, a briar block pipe stand, and a "PT31" pipe tool. Sound good?

Edit: nevermind, VAT is more than shipping, I'll just have it sent directly to me.
View Quote

@GreatDane

Sounds good but I would add ...
- Falcon or tapered pipe cleaners.  Falcon tubes are small so a "fluffy" pipe cleaner will not work.
- Double up on dry rings as they are cheap there and go OOS in the US quite often.
- Add some of the Falcon 6mm filters

Yeah, Screw VAT.  IIRC shipping wasn't as high as I expected.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
@GreatDane

If they can legally bring it with them, have them bring some ...

Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader
Sam Gawith's Navy Flake

These are two of my favorite tobaccos but Sam Gawith is basically unobtanium in the States.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@GreatDane

If they can legally bring it with them, have them bring some ...

Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader
Sam Gawith's Navy Flake

These are two of my favorite tobaccos but Sam Gawith is basically unobtanium in the States.
View Quote

@WDEagle

Squadron Leader & Navy Flake both seem available at that US based site... It's gonna be February before my family comes over, and I don't know if it's legal for them to bring me tobacco, sooooo....
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@WDEagle

Squadron Leader & Navy Flake both seem available at that US based site... It's gonna be February before my family comes over, and I don't know if it's legal for them to bring me tobacco, sooooo....
View Quote

Well I'll be damned.  Ordered some more.  THANKS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top