Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2020 7:23:50 AM EDT
I have been researching, and I cannot find the answer that I have been looking for. I am interested in doing a gun trust so my wife and I can have some supressors. We want to avoid signing papers that allow the .gov to search and seize at our primary residence. I understand that typically with an nfa item, you sign a piece of paper that allows search and seizure of your property at the whim of the .gov.  We choose not to allow this. Is this possible? Can we own suppressors and exclude a particular peice of property from .gov scrutiny?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The search thing is a myth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If the gov or ATF wants to search your house, they're gonna find a reason to do it.  If they decided to check everyone who had a tax stamp for a suppressor.... Well, that would be nothing short of massive undertaking.  I think overall, you've gotta be on their radar for something else entirely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a myth
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Wearing a Tinfoil Hat will help keep trust safe.
Thank me...........
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wearing a Tinfoil Hat will help keep trust safe.
Thank me...........
View Quote

What a moronic comment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting unlawful search and seizure is alive and well and applies to owners of NFA firearms. The ATF or any other government agency must demonstrate probable cause supported by oath or affirmation and obtain a valid search warrant before they can demand access to the premises of an owner of NFA firearms.

The idea that the ATF can conduct a warrantless search when someone owns an NFA firearm probably stems from confusion about the rules that apply to Federal Firearm Licensees (FFL’s). An FFL must submit to a warrantless inspection by the ATF, but that has limits as well.

The ATF can conduct a surprise inspection of gun dealers once a year, but it must be during the FFL’s business hours. Whether the FFL is a dealer of Class 3 firearms or not, the FFL is subject to the these warrantless inspections to check for compliance with the regulations governing FFL’s.
View Quote

Thanks. I just bought the trust paperwork from silencerco and I'll read through it....I wonder if it includes the atf paperwork or if that's separate.

I'll read through it all and see what it says about location search and seizure. My coworker has a suppressor and seems to believe he's subject to search and seizure. Another has an ffl and says more along the lines of what you've said. I don't  know so that's why I asked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks. I just bought the trust paperwork from silencerco and I'll read through it....I wonder if it includes the atf paperwork or if that's separate.

I'll read through it all and see what it says about location search and seizure. My coworker has a suppressor and seems to believe he's subject to search and seizure. Another has an ffl and says more along the lines of what you've said. I don't  know so that's why I asked.
View Quote

Your trust paperwork is for you and the other trustees (if any).  It’s not going to say anything about the ATF, period.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What a moronic comment.
View Quote

Says the OP. Irony. LOL
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What a moronic comment.
View Quote

His comment isn't anymore moronic than your OP. So calm down, accept that you fell into believing a common myth, and listen to what you're being told.

If you want to see what you will have to sign then look at ATF form 5320.4, that is the form that will be used to transfer the firearm to your trust from the selling dealer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

<-- FFL/SOT

Your coworker is wrong.  Hell ATF needs a search warrant for my place for anything other than a compliance inspection, and those usually happen every 5-10 years.  The auditor only goes to the office to look at the paperwork, she doesn't go digging through my sock drawers looking for suppressor baffles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been researching, and I cannot find the answer that I have been looking for. I am interested in doing a gun trust so my wife and I can have some supressors. We want to avoid signing papers that allow the .gov to search and seize at our primary residence. I understand that typically with an nfa item, you sign a piece of paper that allows search and seizure of your property at the whim of the .gov.  We choose not to allow this. Is this possible? Can we own suppressors and exclude a particular peice of property from .gov scrutiny?
View Quote

You may want to re-check everything you think you know about guns and NFA, cause the sign away search and seizure it so off base, who knows what else you have been told.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be kind, your coworker is misinformed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

His comment isn't anymore moronic than your OP. So calm down, accept that you fell into believing a common myth, and listen to what you're being told.

If you want to see what you will have to sign then look at ATF form 5320.4, that is the form that will be used to transfer the firearm to your trust from the selling dealer.
View Quote

Sorry, but talking tin foil hat wearing when a legitimate question has been asked, a very specific question, is absolutely moronic. This isn't the clown ass forum, it's the legal forum, the appropriate place to ask such a question, so maybe take the clown comments to the comedy forum, it isn't warranted here, and especially not itt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Says the OP. Irony. LOL
View Quote

The irony is that I came here to post a question, and got a moronic comment in return, and now it seems that I've gotten another one. So why don't you educate yourself on the meaning of the word irony and learn what a comment is, and what a question is as well, and then don't come back until you can make a contribution to this thread.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a technical forum.

(——— GD is that way.
The BearPit is that way ——-)
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The irony is that I came here to post a question, and got a moronic comment in return, and now it seems that I've gotten another one. So why don't you educate yourself on the meaning of the word irony and learn what a comment is, and what a question is as well, and then don't come back until you can make a contribution to this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the OP. Irony. LOL

You've been a member for thirteen years and never bothered to read any of the FAQ's in the NFA subforum?
Start here and pay attention to #4: Top NFA Myths

As pointed out by many, your "understanding" of NFA is so faulty that its laughable.

But keep on digging your hole of derp, it may just become a meme.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorry, but talking tin foil hat wearing when a legitimate question has been asked, a very specific question, is absolutely moronic. This isn't the clown ass forum, it's the legal forum, the appropriate place to ask such a question, so maybe take the clown comments to the comedy forum, it isn't warranted here, and especially not itt.
View Quote

I was trying to help you. Your attitude will not help you get answers here so you need to change the attitude or go somewhere that will be sensitive to your need of coddling. If you wish to continue living a life of willful ignorance then do neither, keep blasting people with insults, and learn nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top