Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 10:51:26 PM EDT
Alright guys...my son is looking for a quality  photography printer. He wants to start printing his own pictures.
What do ya guys recommend? This is something he takes seriously.
Under 1k...is it out there?
Thank you guys very much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Canon Pixma Pro-10, MSRP about 700 bucks but they usually have some sort of mail in rebate on them ($200 currently), it can print up to 13x19. While I'm a Nikon guy for cameras, Canon makes damn good photo printers. The Pro-1000 is an option at the top of his price range, but is probably overkill unless he is going to be printing a lot (also consider a complete replacement set of ink cartridges for this model is $700 versus $135 for the Pro-10)
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Pixma pro-100 - $180 after rebate off of B&H
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an old Canon Pro 9000. Had it for years. It costs a small fortune to operate a large format printer. I still use it from time to timer when i want to print something strange where I am looking for a certain outcome but most of the time I just send the files to Walmart and  pick them up when I run to town. They do an amazing job of printing and can do up to 20X30
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Cannon pixma pro 100
I have owned one for at least three years and it has been amazing.

Anyone getting into printing should also do their due diligence and research about the different color spaces and monitor calibration.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Is Epson not still among the better photo printers (paint jet or some such with archival ink)?
I say that after having bought a very spendy HP (over $1k) about 15 years ago. It made great prints, but longevity was a problem. The silly HP still works, though.
Are you looking for a dye-sub unit, or ink jet?
For draft work, a decent color laser printer with plate finish paper yields very acceptable draft work. I wouldn't try to frame & hang them though, they just lack the depth & pop of a real photo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Epson not still among the better photo printers?
View Quote
I dont know if Epson ever changed and quite frankly I really dont care once I switched to Canon I never looked bac. The one chance that I gave to Epson gave me beautiful prints but it was the biggest ink hog I have ever seen. Every time I turned it on ihad to clean the print head and it wasted more ink than I ever used printing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top