[#2]
subcribing
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn to use back button focus.

It's yugely helpful.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Overexpose.  Just when you think you've overexposed enough, bump it a bit more.

We call it Expose To the Right, or ETTR.  Zack showed me the light on this one.

I've posted plenty of examples in the Post Processing Thread, but the upshot is, until you start clipping the highs you can always bring them back in post, without introducing noise.

Boosting underexposure in post will almost always introduce ugly noise.

The best way I've found to do this is with what Nikon calls Exposure Control.  What you're doing here is telling your camera's light meter that +whatever EV is really what you want to be the "new normal", so when you're metering your subject when it shows proper exposure it's already boosted.

I set my EC to +.7 EV, and then usually bump it a few notches when composing.

Here's just one example, and I think a pretty dramatic one:

Original
PAT15002 N420AT Spraying Before by FredMan, on Flickr

After processing

PAT15002 N420AT Spraying by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
@Fredman

Thanks!  That's a great tip!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One thing that he forgot to mention is this only works if you're shooting in RAW.

Kinda an important tidbit.
View Quote
Since everyone shoots RAW, I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I will be the opposite side of ettr. It can be helpful in certain conditions but it isn’t always needed. All I can really recommend is when you get a camera the first thing you do is put it into manual mode. Learn how to expose shots in all kinds of lighting.

If your just considering getting into photography and have never really used anything other then a cell phone, mirrorless cameras are great. You will see your exact exposure in the viewfinder just like a cell phone does.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I will be the opposite side of ettr. It can be helpful in certain conditions but it isn’t always needed. All I can really recommend is when you get a camera the first thing you do is put it into manual mode. Learn how to expose shots in all kinds of lighting.

If your just considering getting into photography and have never really used anything other then a cell phone, mirrorless cameras are great. You will see your exact exposure in the viewfinder just like a cell phone does.
View Quote
It is pretty useful though, especially darker subjects vs a light background like aircraft.  You’ll get less noise from higher ISO and reducing the exposure, vs bumping the shadows up to compensate.  But it’s not always perfect for everything.  Personally I have hit and miss luck with it, and have caught myself accidentally leaving the EV+ adjustment on, and then wondering wtf is going on with ISO control later.  Mostly being a space case instead though.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since everyone shoots RAW, I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

View Quote
I don't shoot in raw............  
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't shoot in raw............  
View Quote
You should really try it.  You'd be amazed at what you can do.

Raw is to digital like the darkroom is to film.

Shooting jpg is like taking your film to the one-hour photo for developing.  Raw (and LR/PS or equivalent) is like mixing chemicals and developing your own film in your basement.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shooting jpg is like taking your film to the one-hour photo for developing.  Raw (and LR/PS or equivalent) is like mixing chemicals and developing your own film in your basement.
View Quote
That's exactly the problem. I have neither the skills nor the knowledge on how to tinker with my pics. I can easily see the difference between the two, I shot raw when I first got the camera. But I just don't believe that's for me right now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I'd been shooting raw way back before I knew what it was.

That way I could go back to those old shots and put the polish on.

Memory is so cheap now that storing all that data for the day you might want to play with it is very economical.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're shooting action/sports/events RAW is usually to slow to shoot continuous frames in sequence, but JPG will write to card much faster, so get your exposure right & lean on the shutter!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're shooting action/sports/events RAW is usually to slow to shoot continuous frames in sequence, but JPG will write to card much faster, so get your exposure right & lean on the shutter!
View Quote
Not if you've got an XQD card and a decent sized buffer.

Hell even with a UHS-3 SD card and a small buffer you can get by.

My D500 has got a 200-shot buffer for 12-bit raws
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Overexpose.  Just when you think you've overexposed enough, bump it a bit more.

We call it Expose To the Right, or ETTR.  Zack showed me the light on this one.

I've posted plenty of examples in the Post Processing Thread, but the upshot is, until you start clipping the highs you can always bring them back in post, without introducing noise.

Boosting underexposure in post will almost always introduce ugly noise.

The best way I've found to do this is with what Nikon calls Exposure Control.  What you're doing here is telling your camera's light meter that +whatever EV is really what you want to be the "new normal", so when you're metering your subject when it shows proper exposure it's already boosted.

I set my EC to +.7 EV, and then usually bump it a few notches when composing.

Here's just one example, and I think a pretty dramatic one:

Original
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/36606899703_3593db213c_c.jpgPAT15002 N420AT Spraying Before by FredMan, on Flickr

After processing

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4362/36566681884_c048d5fb0b_c.jpgPAT15002 N420AT Spraying by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
I actually took a photography class through continuing education at one of the local high schools at night.  The instructor, who was right out of college and had a long way to go before becoming a good instructor, told us to underexpose because you can bring up the shadows more.

I've been wondering why I've been getting noise even at ISO 100 when trying to bring up underexposed pictures.  Your pictures are much better than the ones she showed us.

I've adjusted my EC on my D7200 to +.7EV.

Thank you sir!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top