Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Photo a day picture thread! (Page 122 of 140)
Page / 140
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tunabomber:
Yup, it is.  Took 3.5 months to arrive at my local camera store.  I think tons of folks that ordered online (B&H Photo) are still waiting.   You can keep an eye on Amazon and Best Buy and land one in a few weeks if you are quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmax84:

Is that the Z9?    Thought they were almost impossible to get yet.
Yup, it is.  Took 3.5 months to arrive at my local camera store.  I think tons of folks that ordered online (B&H Photo) are still waiting.   You can keep an eye on Amazon and Best Buy and land one in a few weeks if you are quick.

that's awesome.    waaaaay out of my price range, tho.      currently using a D780 and keeping my eyes open for a D5.    shoot mostly high school football for fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]

that's awesome.    waaaaay out of my price range, tho.      currently using a D780 and keeping my eyes open for a D5.    shoot mostly high school football for fun.
View Quote
Aye, its an investment for sure.  It is worth it though, absolute perfection for my needs.

Pic thread:
Badlands Bighorn by Jay, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Aye, its an investment for sure.  It is worth it though, absolute perfection for my needs.

Pic thread:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51892735424_183feb62ce_b.jpgBadlands Bighorn by Jay, on Flickr
View All Quotes

Pic thread:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51892735424_183feb62ce_b.jpgBadlands Bighorn by Jay, on Flickr

dam.    that's nice!!!     I'll go be poor somewhere else now.     lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Don't get hung up on gear, ever.  Most of my favorite pictures were taken with a D7000 and I didn't know what I was doing.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't get hung up on gear, ever.  Most of my favorite pictures were taken with a D7000 and I didn't know what I was doing.  
View All Quotes

can relate to the "didn't even know what I was doing".......         lol!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
From October of 2020.

I had lost a lot of really good photographs from my trip into the Bistihi Wilderness in New Mexico.  My gloves had hit one of the alternate function buttons at the front of my D850 and changed the capture from a 3x2 aspect ratio to a 4x3 aspect ... something that isn't readily identifiable in the viewfinder if you aren't specifically looking for it.  As a result, my framing was off on some wide angle portrait-oriented photos that had some key aspect in the foreground during the day hike, like lone rocks and things like that, as well losing some sky, and pushing some objects at the top of the frame at or beyond the edge of the frame.

I didn't realize this until morning, when reviewing my photos from the night before, wondering why my framing was so far off for some night shots.

Really sucked to have lost some good shots to that mistake.

To compound matters, my lenses iced over during the night, resulting in completely fogged over images as twilight and dawn approached.  Both cameras.  The 20mm on the D800 and the 14-24mm on the D850.  Iced.

For a year, I was rather dejected by it.  When I was out there this past Fall, I happened to be passing into New Mexico when the moon was waxing, so another trip into the Bisti/De-Na-Zin just didn't seem worth it, as I really wanted a moonless sky to try to do some Milky Way photos, knowing how the moon had washed out much of what I had tried to do the year before.

Driving back east, I wish I had made the effort to swing back in, but I had already covered too much ground to turn around, and that was that.

Until yesterday.

I was looking at a really lackluster star trail photo from the 2020 trip, and had a different idea to approach the series.  I chose a series of about 100 frames, but chose to treat the last frame a bit differently, over exposing it by 2 f-stops to exaggerate the star diffusion in the gradually fogging/icing lens, right around moonset, and a foreground just prior to that last frame, where the moon was painting the hoodoos in some faint, reddish light, still visible through the icing lens.

I like this image.  It wasn't what I was after at the time.  But, I think for all the problems, those problems may have left me with a more interesting finished product than I would have, had all the things gone the way I had planned....

[The Dipper is rising above a group of hoodos right/center, but perhaps more interesting are the stars Tania Australis and Borealis, the orangish and bluish star pair near the right of the frame.  I'm not sure I've ever really noticed those two stars in the sky.  Not until reviewing a bunch of throw away images, where an iced-over lens brought them into prominence.]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20201001-West/i-7bnQxcv/1/ba4ea9cf/X3/_DSC0116-0218%2B0218p2stops%2B0200p1stop%20A%20-%202456-X3.jpg
View Quote

Isn't it wonderful when you can go back and pull a useful image out of old shots that you thought were toast?

What amazed me the first time I took a swirlie shot was how much color variation there is in the night sky.  I had no idea that stars were blue, green, yellow, etc. until I started down that path.

This green streak here is Comet Lovejoy, but you get the idea on the other stars.

DSC_1780Lovejoy-30s by FredMan, on Flickr

One of my early star stacks.

Silo Starstack 2016-03-29 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
From October of 2020.

I had lost a lot of really good photographs from my trip into the Bistihi Wilderness in New Mexico.  My gloves had hit one of the alternate function buttons at the front of my D850 and changed the capture from a 3x2 aspect ratio to a 4x3 aspect ... something that isn't readily identifiable in the viewfinder if you aren't specifically looking for it.  As a result, my framing was off on some wide angle portrait-oriented photos that had some key aspect in the foreground during the day hike, like lone rocks and things like that, as well losing some sky, and pushing some objects at the top of the frame at or beyond the edge of the frame.

I didn't realize this until morning, when reviewing my photos from the night before, wondering why my framing was so far off for some night shots.

Really sucked to have lost some good shots to that mistake.

To compound matters, my lenses iced over during the night, resulting in completely fogged over images as twilight and dawn approached.  Both cameras.  The 20mm on the D800 and the 14-24mm on the D850.  Iced.

For a year, I was rather dejected by it.  When I was out there this past Fall, I happened to be passing into New Mexico when the moon was waxing, so another trip into the Bisti/De-Na-Zin just didn't seem worth it, as I really wanted a moonless sky to try to do some Milky Way photos, knowing how the moon had washed out much of what I had tried to do the year before.

Driving back east, I wish I had made the effort to swing back in, but I had already covered too much ground to turn around, and that was that.

Until yesterday.

I was looking at a really lackluster star trail photo from the 2020 trip, and had a different idea to approach the series.  I chose a series of about 100 frames, but chose to treat the last frame a bit differently, over exposing it by 2 f-stops to exaggerate the star diffusion in the gradually fogging/icing lens, right around moonset, and a foreground just prior to that last frame, where the moon was painting the hoodoos in some faint, reddish light, still visible through the icing lens.

I like this image.  It wasn't what I was after at the time.  But, I think for all the problems, those problems may have left me with a more interesting finished product than I would have, had all the things gone the way I had planned....

[The Dipper is rising above a group of hoodos right/center, but perhaps more interesting are the stars Tania Australis and Borealis, the orangish and bluish star pair near the right of the frame.  I'm not sure I've ever really noticed those two stars in the sky.  Not until reviewing a bunch of throw away images, where an iced-over lens brought them into prominence.]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20201001-West/i-7bnQxcv/1/ba4ea9cf/X3/_DSC0116-0218%2B0218p2stops%2B0200p1stop%20A%20-%202456-X3.jpg
View Quote

Wonderful shot. It breaks my brain thinking about how those little points of light are so far away, yet right there in our face. And the truly massive scale that our univirse has.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Wonderful shot. It breaks my brain thinking about how those little points of light are so far away, yet right there in our face. And the truly massive scale that our univirse has.
View Quote

Think about this:  99.9999% of them could have disappeared before we figured out the whole antelope thigh-bone thing, and the sky would still look the same.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 3:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tunabomber] [#9]
Today I learned dark backgrounds are a pain in the ass.     White is so much easier for small items.
My attempt at taking a pic of my trusty Glock 19 after I tossed some upgrades on (RMR, Zaffiri slide and barrel).

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Today I learned dark backgrounds are a pain in the ass.     White is so much easier for small items.
My attempt at taking a pic of my trusty Glock 19 after I tossed some upgrades on (RMR, Zaffiri slide and barrel).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112846/Glock_19-2334806.jpg

View Quote

Do you have something to raise it or otherwise move it further from your background?
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:35:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#11]
My client, the great great granddaughter of Samual P. Bolling, and the historic maker dedicated yesterday at the family property Bolling acquired about 150 years ago.

Bolling Marker CM by FredMan, on Flickr

He's buried at the family cemetery just a piece back in the woods from the marker.

Bolling Headstone by FredMan, on Flickr

The golden gates were opened wide
A gentle voice said come
And the angels from the other side
Welcomed our loved one home
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
My client, the great great granddaughter of Samual P. Bolling, and the historic maker dedicated yesterday at the family property Bolling acquired about 150 years ago.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51977010191_305f84ee91_b.jpgBolling Marker CM by FredMan, on Flickr

He's buried at the family cemetery just a piece back in the woods from the marker.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51975079122_6a9764440d_b.jpgBolling Headstone by FredMan, on Flickr

View Quote

That's a great story.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no idea about the story with this truck, but I'm guessing "crazy old bootlegger got hisself stuck in the mud and then ran from the cops.   it was also cold and I had to get to a job so didn't have enough time to frame it just so.

Infrared
20220329_001_IR by Carl Peters, on Flickr

Visible light composite
20220329_001_Composite by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
A fair amount of foreshortening.  Those towers are about a thousand feet tall, and the climber isn't very far away from the camera.  It's a much longer and steeper walk to get to the base of the towers than it looks. It's two climbers, but this is the one frame where one of them stood still long enough to show up in the exposure.

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Out in front of the bunch

It's still a bit early for this year's season. Also, this year's crop in NoVA appears significantly shorter (possibly due to late freezes?) which makes framing vertical compositions a real pain since my D850's screen doesn't tilt in that axis.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

Do you have something to raise it or otherwise move it further from your background?
View Quote
I'll have to find something to do just that.  I only had the top half raised half an inch or so.

Pic thread:

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tknogeek:
https://photos.smugmug.com/2022/0402/Places/i-g8rsDB2/0/e56aca47/X2/Tabor_20220402_140656-Edit-X2.jpg
Out in front of the bunch

It's still a bit early for this year's season. Also, this year's crop in NoVA appears significantly shorter (possibly due to late freezes?) which makes framing vertical compositions a real pain since my D850's screen doesn't tilt in that axis.
View Quote

Been wondering when your bluebells we’re gonna show up!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The Great Blizzard of Ought-22 did a number on a lot of trees; FEMA clean-up crews have been working for about 6 weeks getting all the downed and busted up timber off road shoulders.  Most of this material came off I-64, between Richmond and Charlottesville.

This pile is about 40 feet tall, 80 feet wide, and 1/4 mile long.  If it catches on fire there's gonna be TROUBLE.  On a VDOT pull-off on US 15, just north of Dillwyn VA.  They usually use this spot for staging of gravel.

Hwy 15 Brush Pano1 by FredMan, on Flickr

Hwy 15 Brush Pile Truck by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The Great Blizzard of Ought-22 did a number on a lot of trees; FEMA clean-up crews have been working for about 6 weeks getting all the downed and busted up timber off road shoulders.  Most of this material came off I-64, between Richmond and Charlottesville.

This pile is about 40 feet tall, 80 feet wide, and 1/4 mile long.  If it catches on fire there's gonna be TROUBLE.  On a VDOT pull-off on US 15, just north of Dillwyn VA.  They usually use this spot for staging of gravel.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51982919731_05d3412272_k.jpgHwy 15 Brush Pano1 by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51982983138_3e3daa0a0e_b.jpgHwy 15 Brush Pile Truck by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

How do they normally dispose of it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

How do they normally dispose of it?
View Quote

They’d chip it onsite with one of those tree service type trucks and haul it off. These crews had tandem open top trailers and a cherry picker on the lead trailer.

This is what things looked on the interstate the next morning.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Been wondering when your bluebells we're gonna show up!
View Quote

We'll see what the next week brings.

Go Your Own Way
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Revisiting a composite image I shot a few years back.

Blue Ridge Parkway up in Virginia.

The image is pretty, but it's a mess with the air traffic...

Tonight, I did some work in Sequator to reduce noise and eliminate artifacts like the air traffic, and bringing out some of the color (and probably some color fringing from the lens) in the stars.  The constellation Orion is entering at the top of the frame; just below the three stars of the belt, you can discern the purplish trace of the Orion nebula, so the colors, pushed as they may be, are still close to their native hues.  Oh, and Pleaides just starting to make an appearance at the top right...

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:08:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tknogeek] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
20220402_006 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

You nailed the lighting.

But, guess what tomorrow is?!!??

Gear Check by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#26]
But, guess what tomorrow is?!!??
View Quote

Poor Tom.  

Bluebells in the Rain
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Out with the Z9 playing around with the autofocus.  Love it so far, easily stuck to geese, ducks, and hawks in flight.  Found the eyes of most birds I tried it on but it still needs light...distant backlit subjects were hit or miss.  Not really a surprise there but a good reminder that it isn't magic.  
Still waiting for my 400mm to ship so I'm making due with the old 200-500 and FTZ adapter.

Sandhill Cranes by Jay, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Was hoping for some decent crane, egret, or heron shots on today's hike.  Nope, they are super skittish right now.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#30]
20220412_003 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Breakfast

I worked with this model for quite a while on this morning. She was much more willing to pose than her suitor who refused to cooperate.

Crest Up

...but even she had her limit.

You want ANOTHER pose??
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Not a Yellow Rose

Here's a sense of scale:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]

These are all SUPERB.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#34]
20220409_001 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tknogeek] [#35]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

These are all SUPERB.
View Quote
Thanks!  

Dreamy Dandelion

Just because I'm on a perpetual quest to eradicate its kind from my yard doesn't mean I can't admire the beauty of its structure.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Chestnut Leaf-out by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Frisbee Raindrops by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Blood moon. Nikon D750, Nikon 70-300 ED at 300, F5.6 at ISO 400. Shot raw and a quick edit in Lightroom.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#46]
Originally Posted By TLF:
Blood moon. Nikon D750, Nikon 70-300 ED at 300, F5.6 at ISO 400. Shot raw and a quick edit in Lightroom.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103177/DSC_0821-2385603.jpg
View Quote

I'm very jealous!!! Was all set up to take pictures. Got to photo location set camera up and just then the clouds came in and it started to rain. SOAB

Waited almost an hour but no let up. At least I saw it with my eyes.
I had to calm down this morning so the hummer gave me a chance for his portrait.

EBR

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty cool to see this thread still going!

About time I posted another here
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Gentleman4561:
Pretty cool to see this thread still going!

About time I posted another here
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211636/CFF426A1-9522-480D-9C0F-A973F8F891FB_jpe-2389735.JPG
View Quote

7 years and running!  And kudos to you for starting it way back when.

Tenth Legion Signature by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#49]
Man, life has been stressful.  I busted the gear out for the first real project since the SO was up here 8 months ago.  Work is just kicking my butt.  Gotta stop being lazy and take more photos.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Holy crap, that's fantastic Carl beautiful model with beautiful lighting and focus.  I'm jealous.
Page / 140
Photo a day picture thread! (Page 122 of 140)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top