Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 11:36:15 PM EDT
Last thread went into the archives, it got too cold to work on the truck for a while and I didn’t update it.

Edit: Link to original thread

I got a set of hood rests because the left side were both brokenAttachment Attached File

Installed a new rubber hood cowl seal at the same time.

Drove over to Rifle, CO and picked up a set of Pete oval wheels. Spent a lot of time polishing them up. Attachment Attached File

Bobtailed all the way to northern Iowa and picked up an old Wilson grain trailer I bought.

Attachment Attached File

Swapped some aluminum wheels onto the trailerAttachment Attached File

Been cleaning up and fixing quite a few small things

Attachment Attached File

Not too bad for an ‘86 truck and ‘85 trailer. Who want to come polish this trailer out for me?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate trucks. Bought one to put on the road in 2016. Leased it to a trucking company to get some passive income with an eye towards a second career in a few years. 5 months later a bad load tipped the trailer and took my truck with it. And the trucking had let the ins lapse.

I hate trucks. Lawsuits are still pending.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate trucks. Bought one to put on the road in 2016. Leased it to a trucking company to get some passive income with an eye towards a second career in a few years. 5 months later a bad load tipped the trailer and took my truck with it. And the trucking had let the ins lapse.

View Quote
That doesn’t sound like the truck’s fault.
Nice looking rig OP
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice truck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
That sucks. I hope you get made whole. People can be skeeze balls.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
What's the back story? Is the truck new-to-you? Are you using it full time trucking or do you just haul your own crops with it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's the back story? Is the truck new-to-you? Are you using it full time trucking or do you just haul your own crops with it?
View Quote
I bought the truck at the end of July. I have a full time job as a lineman so this will just be a side gig. Always liked these 359’s and could pass this one up when it sold on an auction.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
when the sucker person shows up to polish the trailer..get them to do the fuel tanks too.
View Quote
The fuel tanks aren’t in the greatest shape. Rock pits in the front caps and groves worn in them from the straps would make them difficult to polish.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought the truck at the end of July. I have a full time job as a lineman so this will just be a side gig. Always liked these 359’s and could pass this one up when it sold on an auction.
View Quote
Just curious as I have had a CDL for years and drive an old w900 part time during harvest.....where are you finding loads and how do you make insurance work out?

Every time I looked into this I found myself unable to make money without running the truck full time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just curious as I have had a CDL for years and drive an old w900 part time during harvest.....where are you finding loads and how do you make insurance work out?

Every time I looked into this I found myself unable to make money without running the truck full time.
View Quote
Truck is registered on farm plates so insurance is very affordable. I seem to avoid scales and inspection stops conveniently. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on the truck and trailer so it doesn’t cost me much to have the truck sitting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Truck is registered on farm plates so insurance is very affordable. I seem to avoid scales and inspection stops conveniently. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on the truck and trailer so it doesn’t cost me much to have the truck sitting.
View Quote
Awesome,  beautiful truck.  Wish I had a similar setup myself
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I polished a Allison dump bed on my 89 Mack r model tandem years ago with one of those touch up wheels from some aluminum manufacturers and it took 26 hours that was ruff
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your luck won't last.  DOT isn't stupid
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sadly this.

Hope you are all set when the man comes around
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sadly this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sadly this.

Thanks for worrying about me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Been rewiring the trailer and fixing some air lines. I mounted some led lights under the trailer pointing down at the traps. They’re wired to the center pin on the plug which is switched coming from the truck. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Hauled a few round bales over the weekend.

The transmission grind when shifting from high to low range. I’ve decided I’m going to gather parts and pull the back half of the transmission and fix the synchronizer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Hauled my first load with the, new to me, old ass grain trailer. Loading my second load up now to take to the feedlot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know about CO, but in MO the DOT kind of overlooked farm tags.

I've had our W9 loaded at 110,000lbs (high side Timpte) at the last end of the field before.

Curious, what are you making per bushel? The marked got saturated with dudes hauling for 10-15 cents.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#21]
This corn I’m getting 15 cents to haul. It’s for a guy I work with and it’s only a 12 mile haul. I’m not going to complain about getting two loads hauled after work 9 hours today at my day job.

Edit: by the time I haul 12,000 bu for them I will have gotten over half my money back that I spent on this trailer, so I’m plenty happy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#22]
If you need help sourcing parts or anything, PM me.

I have 100ish trucks.  Mostly paccar now.  A lot of older stuff and newer stuff. I can LTL cheap.

Awesome looking everything so far. Hauling grain is a good gig.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#23]
That is a good looking rig.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have 100ish trucks.  Mostly paccar now.  A lot of older stuff and newer stuff. I can LTL cheap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m going to buy an aluminum hood for is sometime. Sure don’t see any for sale in Colorado.

Quoted:
That is a good looking rig.
It’s a project so it will continue to get fixed up. Hopefully someday it’s too nice to drive on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I’d like to try my hand at this when I retire from the Army.  Or Hotshot trucking.

I really like the rig.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Thinking I’m going to make a trip from Colorado to Wisconsin this weekend to buy an aluminum hood for the ol truck.

Anyone need anything hauled up that way? Anything cool I should stop and see?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Pickup up an aluminum hood this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Also gathered enough parts to get a second air cleaner mounted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Got the truck out and worked on polishing the stacks and tanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Pulled a load of heifers with the ol truck last Friday.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Doesn’t insurance and licensing eat up most of what you make?

If you were hauling every day it would be one thing but a load here and there has got to be spendy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
and you are just telling us this now why?
and pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and you are just telling us this now why?
and pics?
Two 2020 KW T880's I just got at the end of last year.  One is on the road, the other is still getting upfitted with a tank body.  I have 3 of them right now.  Probably going to order at least one or two.

Two of 10  Peterbilt 348's I bought last year.  I have 3 more on order so far this year.

Rest of the stuff I can't really post pics of, because it literally has my name on it.

@Striker
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Doesn’t insurance and licensing eat up most of what you make?

If you were hauling every day it would be one thing but a load here and there has got to be spendy.
View Quote
I don’t have commercial plates on the truck, non commercial insurance. Everything I’ve hauled is for friends, it’s mostly a restoration project. I registered my trailer through a different state under permanent plates. $116 one time instead of Colorado’s ownership tax on vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top