Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2019 1:35:45 AM EDT
Has anyone here had any experience with these kinds of dog?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone here had any experience with these kinds of dog?
View Quote
Good friend of mine trains them and has one.

What about them?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I raise dutchies and malinois.  Not a breeder but a trainer.  These dogs require strong obedience training and consistently.  Not for everyone but amazing intelligence and athleticism.  AMA or pm. Everywhere I go someone's like amazing dog.  With new pr pups should be like movie stars now.  Current prospect 12 month female 50# dutchie mal cross favorite trick is jumping into truck window for a shoulder bite.  Mike suttle imo some of the best dogs in usa today.  He's probably a member here and likely bred conan.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
<------ She needed no training.  She was all about security and looking after my wife.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<------ She needed no training.  She was all about security and looking after my wife.
View Quote
If your dog is actually capable (mindset) of attacking a person who is a threat to your wife, and it actually received "no training", then that would make you one of the most irresponsible dog owners in the country.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a DDR Shepherd that came from John Swindle Alabama Canine Law enforcement
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you want to know? We train our dogs for "sport", but we have a few that are "civil" and, I have no question they would bite for real should the need arise. Owning a dog like that is no small undertaking. Even if you buy one "trained" be prepared to put in the work to maintain control. It's a big responsibility.

Mals, Dutchies and GSDs are the most common breeds, obviously, but the right dog (of any breed) can do it. My most "civil" dog is actually a Boxer. Our Dutchie is very equipment (sleeve, tug, suit, etc) focused and, if there is no equipment present, she is the sweetest girl. She is about 60/40 Prey-to-Defense. My Boxer is NOT equipment focused. At all. He's about 60/40 the other way (Defense-to-Prey). He's a big dufus around the house and loves people, but he is VERY serious (almost scary) when need be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do you want to know? We train our dogs for "sport", but we have a few that are "civil" and, I have no question they would bite for real should the need arise. Owning a dog like that is no small undertaking. Even if you buy one "trained" be prepared to put in the work to maintain control. It's a big responsibility.
View Quote
This is the truth....I have to work Luger every day...every day..and sometimes he is exhausting....He is on alert 24/7...Literally 24/7 365
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the truth....I have to work Luger every day...every day..and sometimes he is exhausting....He is on alert 24/7...Literally 24/7 365
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, be careful what you wish for. These are not "normal" dogs. Proper protection trained dogs are essentially semi-autonomous weapon systems.

I was deeply into AKC competitive obedience, and I thought I might be into this sort of thing as well. My training place invited me to gain a greater understanding of protection training (NOT sport, NOT Schutzhund) by training to become a decoy. So for the next few months I let all manner of dogs chase and bite me. It was a HUGELY valuable view into the canine psyche for my normal competitive obedience training. But, more importantly, it was also a huge EYE OPENER with respect to working, training and LIVING with protection-trained (NOT sport) dogs. It turned out that this was something I definitely didn't want to do, and that I was not prepared to own, train, work and live with a protection dog of any caliber that mattered.

Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, be careful what you wish for. These are not "normal" dogs. Proper protection trained dogs are essentially semi-autonomous weapon systems.

I was deeply into AKC competitive obedience, and I thought I might be into this sort of thing as well. My training place invited me to gain a greater understanding of protection training (NOT sport, NOT Schutzhund) by training to become a decoy. So for the next few months I let all manner of dogs chase and bite me. It was a HUGELY valuable view into the canine psyche for my normal competitive obedience training. But, more importantly, it was also a huge EYE OPENER with respect to working, training and LIVING with protection-trained (NOT sport) dogs. It turned out that this was something I definitely didn't want to do, and that I was not prepared to own, train, work and live with a protection dog of any caliber that mattered.

Just sayin'...
View Quote
Again this is the truth...Luger does sleep...I caught him once on the couch resting from 9pm-9:15pm when I went up to shower...He has since made sure that never happens again on his own accord...I thought it was cute..he was actually being a dog...I will take him every now and then to the dog park...it's always interesting to watch other people get up and leave when I show up...people with pit bulls will immediately leash their dogs and leave....He is not dog aggressive unless he needs to be...They really truly are not like a regular dog...and honestly if I knew I am not sure I would do it again. That doesn't mean I don't love him with all my heart...it just means I wish I could turn his switch down a notch or two...you should have seen him from 9 months old -2 years old...UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE...now that he is 4 he is a little more relaxed....so if you want a protection dog you best be aware of what you are getting yourself into...I will say its also fun to watch solicitors who come to the house...they never ever get out of their car...we have a dog door...LMAO
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just sayin'...
View Quote
You seem to put a lot of emphasis on "NOT sport", but you do realize that the top sport dogs, the top PP dogs and the top patrol dogs all come from the same bloodlines, right? People seem to think that sport dogs aren't hard enough for the street, and street dogs aren't refined enough for sport, but the reality is, they're typically from the same kennels (even litters of puppies). Dogs are like people. They all have different personalities, not all of them are cut out for real work. Of the ones that can work, it's mostly up to the way the trainer builds, channels and then refines the drives.

There are a lot of "bite sports" out there besides Schutzhund/IPO/IGP. Mondio Ring, French Ring, KNPV, PSA (my sport), etc all have to play within their own rules, but that doesn't make them less demanding, or require less of a dog.

But you're right. Wearing the sleeve or the suit certainly puts things in a whole different perspective.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on "NOT sport", but you do realize that the top sport dogs, the top PP dogs and the top patrol dogs all come from the same bloodlines, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on "NOT sport", but you do realize that the top sport dogs, the top PP dogs and the top patrol dogs all come from the same bloodlines, right?
Absolutely. Certainly my comments were a bit simplified. Nevertheless, there are some differences between working the blind and the head trainer telling you to go in the alley out back and climb into the dumpster and standby

But you're right. Wearing the sleeve or the suit certainly puts things in a whole different perspective.
Truth! Especially when they put the puppy sleeve on you on Day 1 and don't tell you that it's a puppy sleeve just to test how hard YOU are--and yes, they did do that to me, I was black and blue for two weeks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Absolutely. Certainly my comments were a bit simplified. Nevertheless, there are some differences between working the blind and the head trainer telling you to go in the alley out back and climb into the dumpster and standby

Truth! Especially when they put the puppy sleeve on you on Day 1 and don't tell you that it's a puppy sleeve just to test how hard YOU are--and yes, they did do that to me, I was black and blue for two weeks!
View Quote
I just wanted to clarify about the working/sport thing. Our Dutchie is a "Sport" dog because we've trained her to be, but she comes from a long line of (French import) working Patrol dogs.

I have also been in the "here, put this on" situation you described. Not fun at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good friend of mine trains them and has one.

What about them?
View Quote
I’m disabled now and almost 50. I live by myself in a town that has pretty high crime rate.
I have owned several Rottweilers before and was a reserve patrol officer so I’ve had a little time around police k9s.
What I want is a dog that is house trained, able to socialize with kids, sleep in the bedroom with me, and protect me on command and stop on command.

I have a large fenced in backyard to exercise and keep up with his training.

I looked an the net at some of these dogs but always know you can find better answers here on Arf.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one.

Real working dogs are a pain in the ass and a huge amount of work to maintain.

Damn good dogs, though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one.

Real working dogs are a pain in the ass and a huge amount of work to maintain.

Damn good dogs, though.
View Quote
What type of dog and what type of training does he have?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#16]
GSD finished by a military kennel master.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I know a couple of people that have them. They're a lot of work, the ones I know have to work over a decoy every week or two or they start to get grumpy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#18]
These dogs are also expensive
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  Akita.

Takes a lot of work.  But damn effective.

If you really like dogs, it can be worth it.  If you just want protection, buy a good security system and lots of guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Beautiful dog.

He has "badass" written all over him.
View Quote
Thanks! That he is...I am actually now running into a problem that I never anticipated...He does a lot of bite work and his lower canines are wearing down...he might need 2 root canals at the pace he is going...
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 3yr old GSD and a 6 month old Malinois. The shepherd has his BH and working on IGP 1 ( new name for IPO/ Schutzhund)

I am around alot of trained dogs and sorry, your untrained dog is not a natural protection dog, it may want to protect you and your family but in a high pressure situation the best you will get is a fear bite. (Quick bite and release, with alot of barking) a trained dog will bite  on command or in autonamous mode grab with a nice full mouth grip and crush down, then use it's strength to pull the person to the grown with inertia from running or sheer power.

If anyone thinks you can buy a high drive working dog and not keep it physically and mentally active every day prepare to remodel your home.

Everything has to be upgraded. Look up Impact Crates and if you think I am joking type in "Malinois escape or destroy crate" on youtube

Find the best competitors in the discipline you like and they are usually breeding a few litters but these are not cheap.

Heck the lessons alone to keep advancing eat up 3-4 hrs a week and please don't think you can put it in a crate all night and then go to work for 8-9 hours. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Titanium caps on their teeth
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]
EVI, how much do you guys run on your Dutchies? I’d finally given up looking for one. Lol. Everyone loves the Mals and GSDs soo much, the Dutch just kinda gets thrown to the way side.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top